Help me upgrade my system.

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Hey guysI am looking to upgrade my front towers in my system but im unsure of how to go. Perhaps I can get some help here.

I recently upgraded my amp I purchased the new pioneer elite vsx-60 reciever. which puts out 90RMS a channel.
VSX-60 - 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

I currently have a older 5.1 surround system from infinity. It has infinity primus 360 towers, infinity primus 150 bookshelf speakers and a primus C25 center. Before I purchased these speakers I also bought the white van scam speakers. They are digital point audio towers and actually go failry loud but when I push them they crackle and sound like crap anyways so I want to ditch these and replace them with new towers in the front and bi-amp them.

My infinity sub blew so i have replaced that with the Sinclair SW10.3 250watt Triple 10 inch Powered Subwoofer. This sub really pounds with clean bass. Only distortion is the rattling walls and pictureframes getting knocked on the floors :)

here are the specs for the sub.
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=370641982403&t=1369503901000&tid=223353109&category=14990&seller=ronco21&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=0&ittenable=true&ittdefault=true

I have the bookshelf speakers for sale on kijiji and thinking of putting the center channel on there as well along with the van towers for whatever I can get for them (I think i paid around $250 for them and they arn't worth more than that)

Id like to build a 5.1 surround with the sinclair sub and the 2 infinity 360 towers to the rear. Should I keep the center channel for movies or will it not go well with a new set of towers, or look at upgrading the center channel to match the new front towers? I mostly use the system it for listening to electronic music.

I have been looking at the Klipsch RF-82 or RF-62 speakers. There seems to be quite a few for sale in my city so i can get some brand new for almost half price and the reviews have been amazing. They would be quite a improvement from my infinity 360's ya?

Any other suggestions on nice brands I can look into?

Thanks

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Thanks man those are gorgeous. No need for a new sub im quite happy with my sinclair one.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
In case you didn't catch it, the finish is a vinyl wrap. I've seen it in person and the pics don't do it justice, especially the cherry. If you hold off till the Thanksgiving sales, you can get them for a lot less than current price.

Last edited:
S

seomarket

Enthusiast
How would they sound though in reference to klipsch RF -82's which are bi-ampable and I could run max 180 watts into each one where they are rated for 150rms.

E55Ti's definately look better espeically in the red wood finish :)

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Actually Bro in that review he compares several speakers including the klipsch 62's which are the smaller version of the ones I am looking at! I copied and pasted the comparision part here:

Listening Scenario #2 Audioholics Showcase Theater Room
Again, using the Audioholics demo CD, I did some comparisons between the EMP E55Ti (rev1), Axiom Audio M60v3 and Klipsch RF-62 tower speaker systems. All speakers were level matched and switching was done instantaneously.

Fourplay - Amoroso
This track has great bass, piano, guitar and plenty of percussive sounds to test the top end of the speakers as well. The Axiom M60v3's really gave a nice presentation of full-range sound here with deep extended bass, and nice detailed highs. Switching over to the EMP's, all of the sudden Lee Ritenour's guitar came alive. Instead of being recessed in the background it popped forward sounding more like a listening session at a live studio recording. The Klipsch on the other hand were like Axioms on steroids. They simply had the most bass and treble out of the three speakers. A casual listener wanting a lot of boom and sizzle with the ability to play LOUD will absolutely love and likely prefer the Klipsch speakers over the Axiom's or EMPs.

Sade - Hang on to Your Love
This was a fun song to compare the three speakers to. I felt the Axioms conveyed the most detail in the highs, most noticeably that "cha cha" percussion sound emanating from the left speaker. The Axiom's also had a nice deep bass extension almost sounding as if a powered sub was thrown in the mix. The Klipsch literally sounded like they were gonna tear down the house with this track. Oodles of bass and treble, they sounded like a wall of sound but were unfortunately more two-dimensional sounding than the other speakers in this comparison and the vocals had too much sibilance for my taste. While the EMP's didn't win for bass extension or conveying top end detail, they sounded the most balanced to my ears. The vocals sounded rich and vibrant without ever sounding sibilant, especially as the volume was cranked up. The Axioms at high volume lost some composure in the midrange in my opinion. Comparing these speakers revealed that all three brands exhibited respectable performance, but the ultimate winner depended on listener preference and the type of music one listens to. I could see consumers that listen to more acoustic based music with lots of vocals and percussions preferring the EMPs, while those listening to rock or more industrial type music would lean towards the Axioms and R&B, Rap listeners going for the Klipsch. As Bugs Bunny used to say, "one mans meat is another mans poison". If you're a vegan, you’re out of luck.

Moving on to dedicated listening sessions on the EMP E55Ti (rev 2), I proceeded with a high resolution SACD recordings from Premonition Records.

SACD: Patricia Barber - Modern Cool
Track #1 "Touch of Trash" is a very bass heavy song. I wasn't expecting a whole lot of bass from the E55Ti's but they actually shocked me. I was getting plenty of bass extension with good tactile energy and tightness. Percussions just popped out at you and the drums displayed excellent resonance in the room. Patricia's voice just sounded so pinpoint accurate like it was emanating front and center to your head. Track #3 "You & the Night & the Music" is an 8 minute song which was such an enjoyable experience to listen to on the E55's that the time seemed to fly. You could hear the breath from Patricia Barber's voice and in some cases lots of resonance in her voice caused by the close miked process used in this recording. The bongos portrayed so much vibrancy and clarity to them while the piano sounded deep and effortless. All of the instruments were clearly separated into a large soundstage that I find often masked by lesser designed speakers. I was a bit floored by the amount of bass in this track pondering why I was complaining previously that these speakers seemed to be a bit bass deficient when compared against bass heavier speakers. When the electric guitar came in, it took on a very stereophonic sound that just set the landscape of this song. The song that truly showcases the product strengths of the EMP E55Ti's is track #7 "Company" because of the intense percussive nature of the song. I haven't heard another speaker in this price class able to discern and reproduce all of the drum echo and sustain in this track with such confidence and clarity. I did feel the very bottom octave of bass was lacking. A powered sub would definitely add the much needed extension here to provide the full-range sound I am used to hearing on my reference speakers. The trumpets didn’t sound like they were coming from the speakers. Instead they just filled the room and beamed right at the listener sitting in the sweet spot. The EMP E55Ti's just sounded so fundamentally right to me, sharing many of the virtues of $15k/pair RBH Sound T-30LSE reference speakers that make them such a personal favorite of mine. Though, I did detect some graininess in the cymbal crashes at high listening levels from the EMP's that I didn't hear from my much more expensive reference speakers.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't worry about bi-amping or bi-wiring - both have very little to no benefit at all.
I have heard emp system and it had great sound and looks. Sort of laid back and a bit warm sound. Keep in mind that EmpTek is a value oriented branch of really hi-end audio company - RBH Sound

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I've heard both and the only thing the klipsch have over the E55's is the bass. The klipsch sound muffled compared to the Emps.
since you're using a sub, go with the Emps. Wait until they go on sale though.. Should only be another week or so.
You could possibly save enough over the klipsch to buy a center channel from emp at that point.
Cheers, Mac

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Hey guys its a extra $250 to ship to canada but did confirm they are having their holiday sale coming up soon.

So hopefully i can get them for a decent price with shipping costs.

I have a local guy that is willing to sell me a pair pf klipsch rf-82's for $750. Thats really a heck of a deal though and half off. I kinda wish the E55's were more available in canada. Everyone says the E55's will sound better, I really don't need the extra bass of the klipsch's. I do like to listen to my music loud but it sounds like the klips might make me deaf! Im sure I will already suffer as I was a electronic music dj for 8 years. Having a monitor cracked on one ear and blazing headphones in the other night after night will do some damage :)

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
So I went to future shop today to demo the klipche 82 and honestly I loved them. I suppose I should disclose that I typically listen to a lot of arressive music and I enjoy my music loud. I listen mostly to electronic music and some harder rock like tool. I just loved how the snares and drums are so in your face
I listened to a few other models like some polks and mirage and energy and everything else just came off as flat and dull. I'm not sure of the models but they were all in the same price range. The sales guy also told me they would be goin on sale 2 for 1 or 800 for the pair.
I really wish I could listen to the e55. I know they will be a beautiful speaker but will I be happier with them?

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
I had a chance to look into the focals. Particularly the 727/726 that sounds like a next level speaker. I know focal was alwayse top o
f the class when it came to high end car audio.
50% off as they are discontinued huh. Sweet deal. I read comparision agai.st the klipsch but not the e55 as I'm assuming these are in a higher class of speaker.

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
I found someone selling Used Focal Chorus 726 S (not V)
I believe these are the same as the V except for a slightly older tweeter (not inverted) and it can be bi-amped which i would assume one channel for the 2 bass drivers and one channel for the mid and tweet.

Anyone know much about this speaker. The guy is asking for $500+$250 shipping to canada so it would be almost the same as the e55ti new.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis