Help me test a free and open source audio calibration software!

VoidX

VoidX

Audioholic Intern
Hey everyone, I'm looking for feedback about my pet project of 6 years now, which is an audio calibration tool (and some other audio experiments, but those don't matter now). I'm interested in anything you care about, not just features and quality, but the simple things like the layout and friendliness of the UI, or ease of use. Anywhere you see a path of improvement, I'll take it. Even if you don't try it, just want to give some tips of what would be a nice addition, it's also warmly welcome.

My goal with this is to make the PC a viable alternative to AVRs, where every time I measured the results (with REW), it was far from the standards, even if their own graphs showed something close to flat. That problem is solved here by using thousands of correction points. The DCI standard (used in all actual commercial cinemas) is closely followed, which fixes non-dynamic boomy bass caused by bad crossovers. There are a few target curves to choose from, or the ability to import one (an editor is coming). I'm interested in your results if you try the feature that fixes the case where only the center speaker has unnatural sound or the one which makes your ported subwoofer sound like a sealed one. The first few testers really liked the results, and I'm stoked to hear how it turns out outside my country.

You might be looking for a catch. Actually, there's a few:
  • You will need a calibrated measurement microphone (UMIK-1, XTZ Pro, etc.) for optimal performance. Even AVR mics won't work well or at all.
  • If you ask for a feature, it will be public domain, as the project is open source. There are some people who see this as a setback.
  • Only layouts up to 7.1 are supported currently. 5.1.2 is hard to do, but doable nonetheless. This will improve in the future.
  • You have to use a PC for playback, this filter detail is not possible on any AVR or processor.

If you're on board, here's what you'll need:

For devs, here's the source code, as I promised.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis