Help me fix my overhead Atmos problem

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would like to finally resolve my mistake with my overhead atmos speakers in my theater room.

I wanted to do it here so new guys starting a room or this hobby can learn from my mistakes

The room is 29×18x9 second row seats are 13 feet back from the front speakers. My base 7 speakers are L C R RBH SV 831R 4 surround are the RBH SV661W the in ceilings are the paradigm in wall Elite CI-80 2 subs are thr RBH 1212 PR and RBH 1212 NR

Where I screws up is going with in walls instead of in ceilings. I had a JBL 590 setup before RBH and both systems are very dynamic and I wanted the in ceilings to keep up with this. Plus my pops likes a lot of all channel stereo surround so I needed speakers up there that could keep up

Where I screwed up is using in walls they give me the dynamics fuller extension I needed and stereo handling more demanding requirements but I didn't realize at that time just how different in ceilings dispersion patterns work then in walls

So my imaging and panning and Soundstage over head isn't as good as it was in my old house using the RSL C34's in ceilings for overhead for atmos

Next post I'll do pictures cover my dilemma and offer what I think might help and then take all the advice from you guys I can get.

Also hopefully with a lot of dialogue the new guys can learn from my mistakes and also any solutions we can come up with

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so first lesson to new guys always start out with smaller in ceilings if you can. Because once you cut a hole in your ceiling you can always make it bigger to fix or upgrade the smaller set it's a lot harder to go in reverse

Thanks to using bigger in walls my solutions will be limited

Here's my solutions Solution 1

I plan on switching out the SV661W for the SV661WR and the new SV821WR coming out soon for my surrounds to get the matching AMT tweeter for the bed layer. I'd then just take the SV661W and bolt them to the ceiling RBH has shown me how to do this. Great dynamics for up top very capable of all channel stereo for my dad. However I might still have imaging issues

Shane said there design would work well if the seats are directly underneath but the tweeter will beam straight down to much if I'm at an angle which there is some distance between the rear heights and front seats and front seats and rear heights here's a pic of the SV 661W that would go on the ceiling

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Option 2 go with a coaxial designed in ceiling speakers great dispersion the only one that would fit the holes I've made or fit up there are the JBL 321c which would more then cover my needs

Not cheap with the back boxes added but more affordable then redoing the ceiling then adding speakers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Option 3 go with the on wall JBL 8320

Or the JBL 8340

Both have a built in angle to the seats both will cover the holes should be easy to mount

Both have good dispersion and meet my needs and are the most affordable idea

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So those are my 3 ideas some ideas from you guys would be awesome or help me picking from my 3 solutions thanks for any help guys any suggestions would be awesome!

Room pics coming up

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately not because I used in wall speakers the hole cutout is square not round and those aren't big enough to fit. I'd have to replaster and redo those parts of the ceiling

Unfortunately by doing what I did I've really limited myself on my options

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Gorgious theater and thanks for airing the issue to help others, well played!
Have you obtained any quotes to fix ceiling holes?

I had to for the ol' foot-thru-the-ceiling while mapping the ceiling joists.
The repair was not too costly.
The gaff had a silver lining, it prompted us to repaint room in more theater conducive colors.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Gorgeous theater room following your journey as I’ve been interested in those jbl wall mounts too , especially the 8320 as it’s smaller than the 8340A . Ceiling mounts are a no go in my room as I have 0 access to attic for wiring .
I’ve read some reviews on both these models and they supposedly sound good for your situation. I actually have the perfect location for a set of these as I sit right under a beam that I could mount these on in my room . They have special mounts you can buy that are adjustable I think too .

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

The gaff had a silver lining, it prompted us to repaint room in more theater conducive colors.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Thanks! Its coming along Im sure it will be complete someday! :rolleyes:

Not yet on the ceiling repair quotes I'm hoping I can be lazy and just put some speakers over those holes Lol

Repairing the ceiling only to cut holes out again would be the last resort :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Gorgeous theater room following your journey as I’ve been interested in those jbl wall mounts too , especially the 8320 as it’s smaller than the 8340A . Ceiling mounts are a no go in my room as I have 0 access to attic for wiring .
I’ve read some reviews on both these models and they supposedly sound good for your situation. I actually have the perfect location for a set of these as I sit right under a beam that I could mount these on in my room . They have special mounts you can buy that are adjustable I think too .
Thank you and thank you for the info on the JBL's that's a big help!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like how they have an angle as well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Yeah I'm kindoff embarrassed but I'd rather others learn from my mistake

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I like how they have an angle as well
I think with careful placement the 8320’s in my room these are a good option now the wife factor my be a different battle lol . But if she puts up with 11 speakers in our living room now what the hells a couple more ;-) !
I believe there is a couple user reviews on these over on the other forum I’d have to search to be sure but I read a thread on both of these by users Iam sure . I liked them because they pretty much will voice match every speaker in my rig .

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think with careful placement the 8320’s in my room these are a good option now the wife factor my be a different battle lol . But if she puts up with 11 speakers in our living room now what the hells a couple more ;-) !
I believe there is a couple user reviews on these over on the other forum I’d have to search to be sure but I read a thread on both of these by users Iam sure . I liked them because they pretty much will voice match every speaker in my rig .
I don't know if they'll voice match mine but being that they are the heights I'm not sure that it matters

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Update guys I have decided to go with the Focal 300 ICLR5's here's a pic

g0913HC5LCR-F-1.jpg

Just waiting for them to come in I went with these for several reasons

1 they have the correct angle at about 30-45 degrees built in

2 nice sensitivity good spl I think they will keep up with the RBH system I have just fine as atmos speakers

3 very good reviews and a good summary here at audioholics and with @gene and Don on audioholics youtube page.

4 not just angled built in but also completely aimable midrange and tweeter they swivel completely to get them perfectly aimed for the best seat coverage especially for my money seat! Lol

5 love the fact they are built with a backbox already and they are very easy to install

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The only question I have is I think the front ones with the angled tweeter will work fine with the tweeter and midrange facing towards the back seats

But my rears are a little closer to my back seats then I would like since they are 14.5 × 14.5 I'm thinking of installing the backones sideways with the tweeter and mids firing towards the back seats and just angling the mid and tweeter to give some front seat coverage

Or just setting them up to fire towards the front like you usually do and hope with the built in angle and movable mid and tweeter I can still have good coverage of the front row and back row

Will just have to get them up there to see

Will keep you guys updated on the install process and user review as well once they are hooked up and ready to go!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
@AcuDefTechGuy had a post I was trying to reply to here, but it disappeared. Weird.

Anyway, as long as the ceiling is flat IE not a popcorn ceiling, it's an easy fix to repair the drywall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis