Help me find a DAC/AMP

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So far I'm very happy with it. Getting dsd to it has been a pain, but I can see in the driver that it's getting the proper signal. I only get LOUD static.

I suspect a configuration issue somewhere. That or a driver issue.

The fact that it's just a tiny box with so much processing capability is very impressive. Especially for the money.

The little amp is no slouch either. It would easily power more demanding speakers.

It was a large upgrade over what I had. DAC technology has increased significantly since I bought the unit that broke.
In my experience, especially for the low price DACs it is not easy to get them to play 512 DSD. all the drivers have to be installed perfectly if you are using freeware such as Foobar. If you use jRiver, you will have easier time.

There aren't much 512 contents anyway so if that $85 little one can do 256 without much effort playing with driver/installs then you should be laughing.

Thanks to your review, I am considering getting one to replace my old XDuoo XD-05 (still selling for over $200) currently use for my desktop system.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In my experience, especially for the low price DACs it is not easy to get them to play 512 DSD. all the drivers have to be installed perfectly if you are using freeware such as Foobar. If you use jRiver, you will have easier time.

There aren't much 512 contents anyway so if that $85 little one can do 256 without much effort playing with driver/installs then you should be laughing.

Thanks to your review, I am considering getting one to replace my old XDuoo XD-05 (still selling for over $200) currently use for my desktop system.
I'm not even trying 512 DSD. I'm just trying ANY DSD.

Jriver had the same issue as foobar2000. They both just play LOUD noise. when DSD is played "untouched". I think one is DSD64 and the other is DSD128.

I have those same discs ripped to FLAC, but I just wanted to see if they'd play in their native format. I've tried newer drives from XMOS too, and get the same results. Not easy to find anyone with the same issue online.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not even trying 512 DSD. I'm just trying ANY DSD.

Jriver had the same issue as foobar2000. They both just play LOUD noise. when DSD is played "untouched". I think one is DSD64 and the other is DSD128.

I have those same discs ripped to FLAC, but I just wanted to see if they'd play in their native format. I've tried newer drives from XMOS too, and get the same results. Not easy to find anyone with the same issue online.
Most likely drivers and/or settings related. And yes I am referring to "native", much easier to do with jRiver than Foobar though Foobar seems very fine with up to 128, and a little more complicated to get it right with 256.

Time to get a Mac if you want to have easier time.:D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are DSD-specific plugins for Foobar, or so I vaguely remember.
Yep, and I have them all.

With Jriver and foobar both having the same issue, I'm betting it's a driver thing. I'll keep looking.

Granted, this could be an AMD 3000 series CPU+570x motherboard+RTX3000 series USB issue. If it is, I have no confidence it will be fixed. Maybe I'll try a different PC and see if I have the same results.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Most likely drivers and/or settings related. And yes I am referring to "native", much easier to do with jRiver than Foobar though Foobar seems very fine with up to 128, and a little more complicated to get it right with 256.

Time to get a Mac if you want to have easier time.:D
Pretty much. It should work fine, but it doesn't.

I have a mac in a VM. I wonder what DSD playback software there is. I can manage macs and anything else apple just fine, but I'm not an apple user at all so "easier" might not be quite the right word. :)

Who'd a thunk being an admin would be easier than being a user?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting development.

I was curious to try on a different device and decided to see if there was a good android "bit perfect" player. Turns out there is. HiByMusic took about 19 seconds to set up and is able to take exclusive control of my DAC. It played my .dff files without issue and my DAC did everything properly.

Now to figure out windows. Yay.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I found the issue. It wasn't my foobar or jriver config, but my USB ports on my motherboard.

NONE of the back ports will allow me to play DSD bitstreamed to the DAC.

All the front USB ports work just fine. I installed a USB expansion card that plugs into the motherboard and one port works the other doesn't.

Now, this is JUST for DSD playback. They all work just fine for PCM and any other device (for the most part) that I plug in.

I don't like this motherboard. I spent way too much time trying to get this to work for it to be a damn hardware issue.

Anyway, it works flawlessly with DSD64 up to DSD256. I haven't found a DSD512 file to play back yet.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
So I found the issue. It wasn't my foobar or jriver config, but my USB ports on my motherboard.

NONE of the back ports will allow me to play DSD bitstreamed to the DAC.

All the front USB ports work just fine. I installed a USB expansion card that plugs into the motherboard and one port works the other doesn't.

Now, this is JUST for DSD playback. They all work just fine for PCM and any other device (for the most part) that I plug in.

I don't like this motherboard. I spent way too much time trying to get this to work for it to be a damn hardware issue.

Anyway, it works flawlessly with DSD64 up to DSD256. I haven't found a DSD512 file to play back yet.
May I ask why you chose the SMSL over the various Toppings that ASR reviewed? I've been looking recently as well to connect my PC to a Yamaha integrated that I have kicking around. Might use the Canton subs I acquired with this setup so sub-out would be nice but looks like you went without. Are you using a sub with the speaker connections?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
May I ask why you chose the SMSL over the various Toppings that ASR reviewed? I've been looking recently as well to connect my PC to a Yamaha integrated that I have kicking around. Might use the Canton subs I acquired with this setup so sub-out would be nice but looks like you went without. Are you using a sub with the speaker connections?
Price/performance. That's it. I used his review index tool to narrow down a price range and whether or not he recommended. Then just looked at the feature sets and made my decision.

Been very happy with it so far. Does everything I need it to and then some.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Price/performance. That's it. I used his review index tool to narrow down a price range and whether or not he recommended. Then just looked at the feature sets and made my decision.

Been very happy with it so far. Does everything I need it to and then some.
Thanks. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis