Help me find a DAC/AMP

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Howdy folks. I have a Kanto YARO2 that worked great for a good while, but when I got a new motherboard for a new PC build, it's been "finicky" at best.

My particular system has a USB bug, but that's actually not applicable here. Didn't stop me from wasting countless troubleshooting hours, but whatever. Multiple devices freaked out when I plugged it in. There is something electrically wrong with the USB port I'm thinking. I may tear it apart if it doesn't destroy it. Stuff like this probably wasn't meant to be user serviceable.

I digress.

What this little guy is supposed to allow me to do is use it as a USB DAC while also having a small built in amp and subwoofer output. This combination isn't all that easy to find, and when I do find something I can't find reviews.

The annoying part is that the Kato still works as long as I don't use USB. Optical for now, but that limits me to 24/96. I know that really doesn't matter, but I'd prefer not to use my built in motherboard optical output, regardless of capability.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?

I'm also open to possibly using a seperate desktop DAC and amp which I currently have in the Kanto minus the working DAC. I'm going to research cheap-ish DACs as well, but would really like an all-in-one if there is one known to be reliable.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If what would be audible? Both have nice measurements....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Some think they can....can you hear your avr's sinad difference to other gear? :)
Of course not :)

I hadn't used the advanced search on the ASR site so I guess I didn't realize he had been reviewing a ton of cheap DACs lately.

Unless someone can find me a deal on something as good, but with a built in amp, I think I may have a winner.

That was much easier than I thought on the DAC side. Just need to figure out the amp side of the problem. Mine has an aux in, but it's not RCA so I'll probably replace the entire thing with a good class D amp.

Guess I'll keep looking at ASR to see if he's reviewed any cheap amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Trick with most of these kind of units is useability across many types of sources.....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Of course not :)

I hadn't used the advanced search on the ASR site so I guess I didn't realize he had been reviewing a ton of cheap DACs lately.

Unless someone can find me a deal on something as good, but with a built in amp, I think I may have a winner.

That was much easier than I thought on the DAC side. Just need to figure out the amp side of the problem. Mine has an aux in, but it's not RCA so I'll probably replace the entire thing with a good class D amp.

Guess I'll keep looking at ASR to see if he's reviewed any cheap amps.
Now you can see why I have been recommending the ext. dac+a basic integrated amps with no build in digital/DAC solution that are often lower cost alternatives and provide better specs and measurements.:)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Following this thread because I may want to go this route and get some better desktop speakers....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Motu m2 + 2x Kali lp6
Can't disagree with this. If I needed speakers I would 100% be going the active route for desktop. There are so many good monitors to choose from.

Pair some of those with a good DAC and you're golden. Motu has always made good stuff. Haven't heard the Kali monitors yet. I'm a big fan of what Adam audio does with their monitors, but they aren't cheap.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Can't disagree with this. If I needed speakers I would 100% be going the active route for desktop. There are so many good monitors to choose from.

Pair some of those with a good DAC and you're golden. Motu has always made good stuff. Haven't heard the Kali monitors yet. I'm a big fan of what Adam audio does with their monitors, but they aren't cheap.
Did you see above rec for amazon echo amp/dac?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Did you see above rec for amazon echo amp/dac?
I did not. Looking now.

EDIT: I looked and it doesn't have USB. That's at the top of the must have list since this is for my PC. I wouldn't squawk at something with an HDMI input, but I like being able to control the volume with the PC and not have to use the actual DAC/Amp volume knob or remote.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
looks nice

for my own usage ;) :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis