Help me find a budget pico projector

Zinnan

Zinnan

Audiophyte
I am looking for a low-cost (around $200 new or used), very small (5" x 5" x 1.5" h or smaller), silent or very quiet, Pico projector for my basement. Placement options are very limited. I will mount it close to the ceiling with the picture projected lower on the wall, so I need either vertical image controls to lower the projected picture or keystone correction so I can mount the projector tilted down. The screen will only be about 80", maybe smaller. The room is dimly lit (think typical bar lighting), so I don't think I need a ton of lumens, but I do want the picture to be fairly bright.

My main priority is that the projector is small and quiet. I would like it to be 1080p, if possible, but as long as the picture looks good, lower HD resolution is probably fine. I will only use this a few times a year -- party karaoke or "spillover" for Superbowl viewing (the hardcore watchers will be upstairs), which is I why I have such a small budget.

I had a mini projector briefly, but fan noise and the size of the projector were non-starters for that room. I have no experience with pico projectors, so I am hoping somebody can point me to the best option in the $200ish range (new or used).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What about this 720 I highly recommend it. Picture quality is great. The remote/power cord can be bought on ebay:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, you are fighting at odds with reality.

"I want something bright, small, silent, high resolution, and super cheap... with plenty of zoom and lens shift."

YES! That's what we ALL want.

It's completely unreal to ask for, and doesn't exist. If you find something that makes the claims for what you want, when you visit their website you will find out that they don't even have a manual for you on their site, let alone a support phone number or a good email address.

The best, cheapest, 1080p, nearly silent projector on the market comes from XGimi. It's not exact tiny, and it is nowhere near $200. More like $900...

Plus, it STILL doesn't have lens shift or zoom on it, so you get zero placement flexibility.

If you want placement flexibility, zoom range, a bright image, low noise, and 1080p resolution, then you should get the Epson 3100 or 3700 models.

Still - $640! WHY? Because that is simply the price of a high quality 1080p projector with the lens capabilities you are asking for.

Kinda hitting more of a budget point, the Epson 2150, used, via eBay may be had for under $300. It should be reasonably quiet, plenty bright, has some lens shift, and some zoom range. Doesn't touch the 3100 in terms of ... everything. But, with 1080p resolution, it's a solid model and can be had for a reasonable price if you look around.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What about this 720 I highly recommend it. Picture quality is great. The remote/power cord can be bought on ebay:
The ebayer sent me an offer for $77 + shipping. I think you can't go wrong. I would contact him and make him an offer. I'm telling its well worth it. Bmxtrix is giving you excellent recommendations as well.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That Acer is a good way to go if it actually works as advertised. Used projectors, of course, are always a gamble. But, at $100, it's super inexpensive and universal remotes are cheap enough if you actually need one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That Acer is a good way to go if it actually works as advertised. Used projectors, of course, are always a gamble. But, at $100, it's super inexpensive and universal remotes are cheap enough if you actually need one.
It really is a great projector when I first got it I was amazed how great the picture quality is for being a 720p. I mean it's ebay, so if it's not working you'll get a refund. I got mine refurb from Acer and never had an issue. Only a bit of dust and they can be fix with a blower. I'd love to go 4k/3D, but waiting for prices to go down, but I have to say the Acer is still great. It's the only thing I bought to Florida with me electronic wise, besides headphones.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What kind of paint do you use for a projector screen? :)
Well, I was thinking a home theater or a gaming room - you know, like a man cave for the husband. :cool:
I’ve read grey is good, but I’ve used a off white wall with no problems. I’m using a light brown wall right now and it also looks good. I’ve used a white screen as well in my last apt. Perhaps BMXTRIX can chime in as well.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What kind of paint do you use for a projector screen? :)
Well, I was thinking a home theater or a gaming room - you know, like a man cave for the husband. :cool:
White paint is the most typical. But, after building one screen in my life, I decided there was no way I was going through the hours and hours of time it takes.
This is worth a read, but the recommendation it gave originally has now been shown to be a poor candidate:

It is also worth reading this and figuring out if the very real hard preparation and work necessary to do a painted DiY screen is worth it:

Spending $250 and getting a SilverTicket screen from Amazon and just calling it done is my recommendation. Silver Ticket screens look good, take a couple of hours to assemble, and hang and can be taken down should the need arise.

But, if you are determined to paint a screen yourself, be aware of the rabbit hole you may be going down ahead of time.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis