Help me decide on a new sub (or two?)

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
My Velodyne HGS 12 had died. It did it once a decade ago, I sent the plate amp off to be fixed, been good ever since. Seems to have died again. I love that sub. It was $ for the time, and is used for music only. I can send send off again ( I used ebcelectronics) or get a new sub. Fixing it is more cost effective, but I wanted to see what's out there in compact subs around 2k price range. Back in the day when I got the sub there was not than many brands, now it's endless. Maybe best to get two smaller subs? Medium sized room and music only using Anthem STR integrated amp and ATC SCM 19vs mains.

Thanx

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
You’ve got a lot of great choices available. Arendal, REL and SVS to name a few. I went with a pair of subs for my music only 2.2 system. Are you looking to spend $2K each or for the pair?

Matt34

Matt34

Two SB 3000 or JL Audio D110's for a music focused system would be awesome.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're not picky about looks (though the Rosenut finish looks nice to me) and don't need fancy electronic features, beating HSU on price/performance would be nearly impossible.
get a pair of them while you are at it to even out room modes.
As for compact, HSU is not too big at an 18" cube.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitely go for two subs. ARC room correction will do a lot better with two subs vs one. Dual Hsu ULS-15 mk2 is a great choice. Other good choices are a couple of SVS SB-2000 Pros or Arendal 1961 1S subs. Starke Sound SW15 is worth considering. If you aren't concerned about saving space, look at dual Hsu VTF-3 mk5s, dual Arendal 1961 1Vs, or dual Monoprice 12" THX Ultras.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis