Help me choose my HDMI cable please!

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I need to choose an HDMI cable for my theater room and I'm suffering from analysis paralysis. I need a run of 25 to 30 feet that will be in wall and ceiling. I'd like for it to be as future proof as possible, so I'm not too caught up on saving cash. I can't even really settle on passive vs. active vs. over ethernet. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about an active fiber one? Ruipro seems to have those down pat for now. Future proof for what? 8k?

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Thanks @lovinthehd ! I don't see myself ever caring about 8k...since I won't be sitting on top of the screen. I'm thinking more along the lines of HDR content and high bit-rate content.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
My general rule of thumb is this:

For 4k HDR under 25', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label of authenticity) should work fine. Premium High Speed cables are passive. Only passive cables up to 25' can be certified by HDMI.org.

For 4k HDR over 25', a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k) is what is recommended. The Ruipro4k cable is active, as is most all other hybrid fiber cables. HDMI.org does not allow active cables (copper, fiber, or hybrid fiber) to be certified, at least not yet.

The only way to "future proof" your cabling is to have easy access to it or install in a conduit (with a pull string) if the installation is in-wall. Period. Connection technology always lags behind video technology so chances are you will be upgrading your cabling as you upgrade your devices. Get what works now for what you have, which is HDMI 2.0. Don't worry about HDMI 2.1 just yet, unless you want eARC or VRR, which are available with HDMI 2.0 if your device mfr designed for an upgrade path.

Other things to consider are bend radius (the Ruipro4k cable has an excellent bend radius) and to keep your connection as simple as possible. IOW, a single connection from source to sink with no adapters, extenders, wall plates, etc in-between.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Thanks @Otto Plyot that is very helpful insight. I definitely plan on a single connection with no adapters etc. The 25 ft limit is something I think I could pull off if I take a straight line diagonally through the ceiling/joists. It would be easier to run parallel and perpendicular to the joists, but it sounds like the juice might be worth the squeeze to get it to 25 feet.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Thanks @Otto Plyot that is very helpful insight. I definitely plan on a single connection with no adapters etc. The 25 ft limit is something I think I could pull off if I take a straight line diagonally through the ceiling/joists. It would be easier to run parallel and perpendicular to the joists, but it sounds like the juice might be worth the squeeze to get it to 25 feet.
Just make sure that you have some slack at the sink/source end because you don't want to put any strain on the HDMI input/output. It's always best to add a little extra length to make sure. If that means you go over 25' then you might want to reconsider which cable you use (active copper based or hybrid fiber). You also want to be very careful when fishing the cable if you don't have a conduit with a pull string, because you don't want to pull the cable thru by the connector ends. That's asking for trouble down the road.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Id mention Monoprice cables. Fair pricing and reliable.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I need to choose an HDMI cable for my theater room and I'm suffering from analysis paralysis. I need a run of 25 to 30 feet that will be in wall and ceiling. I'd like for it to be as future proof as possible, so I'm not too caught up on saving cash. I can't even really settle on passive vs. active vs. over ethernet. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I think you should read this thread before you go any further.

The most important thing is that you place any in wall AV cable in conduit, especially HDMI cables which are prone to failure.

I would not try and pull a 25 ft cable unless it can have decent slack. Even a 25 ft cable will have significant line attenuation.

Your best solution is a hybrid fiber/copper cable. That will give you zero attenuation and be reliable. I have been very pleased with my Ruipro cable. I would recommend you use a voltage inserter for any type of powered cable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis