Help in selecting a Yammy tuner

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to purchase a tuner to hook up to my set up. I was initially going to purchase the Yamaha TS-500 (which would pair nicely with my Yamahas AS801- uses same remote). However, I have read that Yamaha TX-950 was of a better quality than the TS-500. The TX-950 can be found on eBay for less than $100.

Setting aside price, is there a difference in quality?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I haven’t had hands-on with the T-S500, but I used to own a TX-950. I believe the 950 is a much better tuner.

First consider the comparative prices. The 500 lists for $300. The 950 listed for $400 for in the early 90s. If the 950 were made today, it would cost nearly $800. IIR, it was Yamaha’s last high-end tuner.

Specs – no contest:

Signal to noise ratio stereo
T-S500: 75dB / TX- 950: 90dB

Harmonic distortion stereo
T-S500: 0.5% / TX- 950: 0.03%
Frequency response 20Hz – 15 kHz
T-S500: -3dB / TX- 950: +/- 0.5dB

Stereo separation 1 kHz
T-S500: 43dB / TX- 950: 50dB

Image rejection ratio
T-S500: 80dB / TX- 950: 90dB

IF rejection ratio
T-S500: 70dB / TX- 950: 110dB

Selectivity 400 kHz
T-S500: 70dB / TX- 950: 85dB

The TX-950 spec sheet has lots of specs that the T-S500 doesn’t even publish.

In addition, the 950 was chock-full of nifty features, such as dual antenna inputs. This would allow you to say, use a “regular” antenna for local stations, along with a high-powered directional antenna to pull in stations from a distant city.

Digital fine tuning, to get the best signal from weak stations; two-position IF mode selector; an RF attenuator, to reduce the signal level if you happen to live close to the broadcast tower.

These features and others (along with the antenna input) could be dialed in (no pun intended) for any station, saved to memory, and recalled when you wanted to listen to that station.

Speaking of memory, the 950 probably has more programmable memory slots than you have local stations. No kidding.

In short, the TX-950 probably isn’t the best tuner ever made, but it certainly is a fine example. If you can find one on ebay for under $100, or even for the same price as the T-S500, it would be a bargain.

If you can’t find one with a dedicated remote, the remote from any receiver from the era should work.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, Wayne for the really detailed response. I'm going to see if I can get Tx-950 on ebay- hopefully, one with a remote. Seems to be several available. Do you think it will need to be re-calibrated given the age? I would hate to buy a project!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry, I don’t know anything about long-term prospects. However, ebay has a generous return policy if the seller doesn’t disclose problems.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, Wayne. I managed to find a Tx-950 on ebay with a remote for a reasonable price in good condition. Thanks again for the advice.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If it doesn't come with a manual, PM me and I can get you a .pdf of it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
I received the tuner today. Mint condition. The antenna was not included with the tuner and the antenna from my old AVR is not a good fit. Do you happen to know what type of antenna would be a good match? Thanks.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Lots of options discussed here. Any TV antenna will work as well. For long distance, consider an outdoor directional antenna. I’ve used them mounted in the attic.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
The issue seems to be the fm tuner receptor is very narrow and the standard F type wire antenna prong does not fit in the receptor. I have the standard fm radio antenna that came with my old avr. When I attempt to connect it to the TX-950 it barely makes a connection. It does not fit snugly and the metal prong barely makes contact, so the reception is very weak.

For now, I’ve taken an AM loop antenna and inserted the wire into the fm tuner input. A temporary fix. I’ve read somewhere that the tuner came with a special antenna meant to fit the narrow connectors. Does this sound strange? Should I consider making my own? I cannot find a replacement antennna on the internet. And the manual does not specify the antenna the tuner came with.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
That AM loop antenna (KHz) will not work all that well in FM (MHz) because its tuned length is just so different.

If you have a Dremel and one of the tiny small grinder attachments that come in the kit, you can take a thou' off the wire of the connector.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The issue seems to be the fm tuner receptor is very narrow and the standard F type wire antenna prong does not fit in the receptor. I have the standard fm radio antenna that came with my old avr. When I attempt to connect it to the TX-950 it barely makes a connection. It does not fit snugly and the metal prong barely makes contact, so the reception is very weak.

For now, I’ve taken an AM loop antenna and inserted the wire into the fm tuner input. A temporary fix. I’ve read somewhere that the tuner came with a special antenna meant to fit the narrow connectors. Does this sound strange? Should I consider making my own? I cannot find a replacement antennna on the internet. And the manual does not specify the antenna the tuner came with.
That tuner seems to have a European IEC connector for the FM antenna. It is a 75 ohm connector.

You need this adapter.

Antenna connectors are confusing between countries. The UK used and still does the Belling Lee connector.

A good outdoor antenna is part of the basics of high quality FM. Any tuner is only as good as its antenna.

If you have lots of stations in different directions then you need an omni.

If in the other hand the stations are all in one dominant direction, then a directional Yagi-Uda is best.

Now depending on the configuration of the antenna it will be 75 or 200 Ohm. The 75 ohm take the standard RGB connector and cable (round). If on the other hand it is 200 ohm it will have screw connectors for 200 Ohm flat cable. If the latter is the case convert to 75 ohm with a transformer balun, which usually comes with the antenna. Always convert at the antenna and use 75 ohm RGB cable.

One thing you need to know is that there is now far more RF noise in homes than there used to be, which is the main reason analog FM is passing its sell by date. Unfortunately LED light bulbs produce a lot of RF right across the FM band. This is worse the more bulbs are turned on and the length of cables in the walls. Adding dimmers for LEDs ups the interference considerably, especially if a dimmer controls a lot of bulbs and the runs are long. Having wall outlets in the same circuits as lighting adds to the misery.

In my home I have lots of bulbs, 150 LED bulbs and lots of dimmers. That has made analog FM pretty much useless a lot of the time. HD FM radio is immune from the problem and works fine. I also in the Studio/theater generally stream over the Internet MPR, which is the only station I listen to. That actually now gives better quality overall than the best analog FM tuner.

I have loved FM for most of my life. One has to accept that this ship is now sailing and our lovely FM tuners of old are quickly just becoming jewelry.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As I stated those are not US RGB cable connectors. They are IEC and he is correct he needs an adapter.

Here is a picture if one with a converter for US RGB.

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
The back of my tuner looks exactly like the picture posted above and by Swerd. The antenna jacks are in fact 75ohm unbalanced. I live an apartment, so I cannot mount/hook up to a rooftop antenna.

What type of adapter should I purchase?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The back of my tuner looks exactly like the picture posted above and by Swerd. The antenna jacks are in fact 75ohm unbalanced. I live an apartment, so I cannot mount/hook up to a rooftop antenna.

What type of adapter should I purchase?
Have you bought an antenna yet? If so, what do it's terminals look like?
Two wires with or without spades, like this? If yes, you'll need this adapter.
1552761186626.png

Or this? If so, the adapter is already there.
1552761282810.png

If you don't have an antenna, and you live in an apartment, I suggest standard TV rabbit ears, like Ponzio suggested. They're easier to extend and rotate as you find what works best for the station you want to tune in. Again, look at the terminals on the antenna you buy to see what adapter is needed. Fortunately, they're all cheap.

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
I haven’t purchased an antenna yet. This is the antenna I have. The issue is more the adapter I suppose. The gold plated adapter in TLS’s pic above may do the trick if I can find it. The adaptor you posted maybe a little too large- the pin maybe too thick for the input.

33012496-E5EA-4D07-B457-CF408EB3FC23.jpeg

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Standard coax is even too large for the antenna input. The adapter above may do the trick.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis