Help! I know there is a kind soul out there that will help me with my wiring . . . please!

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
I have decided a more simple "plug and play" soundbar system would be best for me, and am leaning toward a new Klipsch Cinema 800 5.1 system that will be available soon. I could do the wiring, but I would much prefer it was done by one more knowledgable? I know it is asking a lot, but I would greatly appreciate anyone who would be willing to help me out! Here are the links to my devices if needed:

LINKS TO DEVICES

New Klipsch Cinema 800 5.1 Soundbar:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566874-REG/klipsch_1069454_cinema_800_5_1_dolby.html/specs

Samsung 65” LED TV (UN65KS8000):
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Samsung-Un65ks8000-5132667.html

Samsung Blu-Ray Player:
https://manualzz.com/doc/49990159/samsung-ubd-m8500-user-manual

Sanyo PLV-Z4 Projector:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/148980/Sanyo-Plv-Z4.html#manual

eSynic 3 Port Toslink Switch (ZVC155US):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W8DG3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motorola Arris Modem (SBG6580):
https://www.scibroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Arris-SBG6580-User-Guide.pdf

Cox Cable Box:
https://www.cox.com/content/dam/cox/residential/support/billing_account/print_media/c2_client_receiver.pdf

Karaoke Receiver (Optional if possible):
https://fccid.io/2AO85-WXM06/User-Manual/User-Manual-4588550

Schematic of Devices.JPG

Last edited:
L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
OK, I guess there are either no kind souls out there or everyone is too busy to help. I prefer to believe the latter! I've drawn up a schematic of my current system and it's wiring. Perhaps someone could at least show me the best way to connect a new JBL 9.1 soundbar to my TV, Projector and Blu-Ray player! Would much appreciate someone's help.
2 copy.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK. The problem is that no one has the heart to tell you that system is a total mess and a nightmare. It will be awash in problems and HDMI conflicts. That just gives anyone a bad headache looking at it.

That is a complex system and a sound bar is not for you. Sound bars are first of all dreadful, and only compatible with simplest of systems. It has no analog ins for your karaoke machine for a start

If you want a system that complex, then forget a sound bar. You need a receiver and speakers. Your receiver needs to have two HDMI outs.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Okay, let me see if I can work through this revised version of a system for you...

Connect the Samsung TV to it's Control One Box via it's "special" cable. My premise is to use the Control One Box as the "Hub" for your inputs. Connect your LAN Cables directly from your Arris Router to the TV & the Blue-Ray Player. Then connect via HDMI the Samsung TV's Control One Box ARC HDMI port #4 to the JBL Soundbar HDMI Input. Connect the JBL Soundbar HDMI Output to the HDMI Input of your OIGEAR Wireless HDMI Transmitter. Attach the OIGEAR Wireless HDMI Receiver to your Sanyo Projector. Then Plug the blue end of the Contour HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the back of your Contour box, and plug the other black end into the Control One Box Cable/Sat HDMI port.

Please advise what the purpose is of the Bose 321 GS. You can input the Karaoke Player into it via a RCA Cable as there is no way to integrate the Karaoke, nor the Bose, directly into the JBL Soundbar. That keeps it as a stand alone system. (The Toslink 3 port switch is not useful either.) The Optical connection the Bose is an Input, so one cannot daisy chain the Karaoke through the Bose, and then into the Optical Input of the Samsung TV Control One Box. As mentioned previously in your earlier post, to integrate the Karaoke Player requires an inexpensive RCA to Optical Converter - which could plug directly into the Optical input of the Control One Box.

Of course the premise above assumes the Control One Box will output all inputs via the HDMI ARC connection to the Soundbar; and the Soundbar will output the video it receives onto the projector transmitter. (There's a lot of HDMI "handshaking" going on here, which sometimes is not well done between components made by different OEMs).

I hope this is helpful. (I think I need a drink!)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
OK. The problem is that no one has the heart to tell you that system is a total mess and a nightmare. It will be awash in problems and HDMI conflicts. That just gives anyone a bad headache looking at it.

That is a complex system and a sound bar is not for you. Sound bars are first of all dreadful, and only compatible with simplest of systems. It has no analog ins for your karaoke machine for a start

If you want a system that complex, then forget a sound bar. You need a receiver and speakers. Your receiver needs to have two HDMI outs.
Sorry, I just spent a couple hours trying to make sense of the proposed system. (The second post even changed Soundbars after I read the info for the Klipsch !) As I just stated above, the HDMI Handshaking could be problematic. I too recommend a HT setup with Dual HDMI Video Outputs but many folks are sold on Soundbars these days.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There is no simplicity in complexity. More than a few have tried to advice a receiver and speakers for this room. An AVR with two HDMI outputs and a 5.1 or more speaker setup is the most viable option. Any other choice made out of a concern for a really tight budget or a really thick head will be a useless mess. There are more than a few who could talk you through the set up of a new receiver based system but it may not come without cost. Would you ask an electrician or plumber to look over a diagram of your own making and then guide you through the implementation for free? Frankly, you’ve ignored lots of good advice and don’t deserve anymore of it.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
The op needs to simplify if possible. Too many pieces and places where incompatibility can occur. Why do you need both a projector and a TV for example? I piped my stuff directly to my avr myself and let it do the signal processing.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
If you get a good avr you can dispense with the bose 321gs, the toslink switch, the connect one box, and the soundbars just by going to one device. Most higher end avr devices can support two outputs as well as multiple inputs avoiding the daisy chaining I see currently.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The room in question has been spread over several threads. He does have a nifty projector screen setup and wants to use the TV as well. He ignored the advice of getting an AVR with two HDMI outputs and purchased a unit with only one output and then quickly returned it. He likes the bose system. Fine, but it is dated and not equipped to handle the devices he wants to use in the setup. I wouldn't use the Samsung TV for anything but a monitor and suggested a separate streaming device connected to an AVR. Using a Samsung TV as a hub for anything is just asking for trouble.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

You all have good inputs but Laro wants what he, and his wife, wants but he's not patient enough to try to learn what would work best for them. He should have followed the advice in this Karaoke Thread with probably a Two HDMI output receiver and the SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 system he had.

Too much shoot, ready, aim...IMHO.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
One of the things I learned during broadcast engineering was to simplify the process. An Anthem MRX-540 would have all the functions needed to connect the devices for the op and eliminates multiple points of failure. There are so many expensive pieces purchased by the op I get he wants to use them. But I will note that the standards changed and the op doesn’t want to hear that he needs to change. Honestly most of what the op has should be pawned off or sold off

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
One of the things I learned during broadcast engineering was to simplify the process. An Anthem MRX-540 would have all the functions needed to connect the devices for the op and eliminates multiple points of failure. There are so many expensive pieces purchased by the op I get he wants to use them. But I will note that the standards changed and the op doesn’t want to hear that he needs to change. Honestly most of what the op has should be pawned off or sold off
That is the problem with this guy. He only hears what he wants hear and not what the needs to hear. That basically makes him impossible to help and guide.

What he should have done, is have his system mapped out and designed BEFORE he bought any equipment. Buying any equipment without a design plan, especially how you are going to connect it all, is basically insanity. That is why I did not waste any serious time on this.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
You all are very kind to have taken your time to write me your advice and I do appreciate it, although if you knew me, some of the things said here wouldn’t have been said. As a successful Residential Designer for 60 years, planning is all I’ve ever done and why I am here listening to advice before making any final commitments. Firstly, all the equipment shown in my schematic is not new equipment except for the proposed soundbar, and all work harmoniously together! Secondly, yes, I did purchase a receiver and SVS speakers to try out and I’m certain that would have made a great sounding system for some, but my wife and I decided we did not want a living room full of sound equipment that looked like the speaker department at Best Buy and prefered something simpler, more compact and less noticeable. Whether anyone here likes them or not, our Bose 321 has an awesome sound, is barely noticeable and has given us 17 years of perfect service, sometimes for 17 hours a day. I would not give that up for my music. That said, it could be better for movies . . . thus my desire for trying something for movies alone. Listening to all the advice here was just a part of my study as I took in countless You Tube videos, visited some soundrooms and Best Buy as well as reading some very interesting articles and reviews. Again, let me thank you all as I have learned from you. I may select just what advice I take, afterall, it is still a free country . . . thou for how long these days is anyone’s guess?

UPDATE: Last week I ran a new cat6 line in our walls and attic for my projector along with new HDMI wall outlets (in lieu of the transmitter/receiver shown on my schematic as my current HDMI cable had failed) and added a new Phillips bulb, so all is well with my 17 yo Sanyo projector, remote-controlled 120” screen and Blu-Ray player for streaming movies and playing DVD’s. Now for the sound . . . the new JBL 9.1 soundbar arrived and nothing could have been easier to connect, basically just plug and play - love that at my old age of 78! The wiring of my schematic worked flawlessly with a few tweaks (although I was skeptical, thus why I requested help) and I merely attached an optical cable from my toslink switch and was good to go! Had I never had my Bose, I would have thought this JBL 9.1 soundbar was pretty great for what it is, but as cool as it was, it didn’t quite have that same rich full sound and the dialog from center speakers was difficult to hear at times, strangely my Bose is better. Its sub also lacked that more mellow deep base of my Bose. Guess I’m just a Bose guy! Perhaps I’ll buy up a few 321’s on Craigslist that sell for $100 or so just in case mine ever bites the dust, thou that seems doubtful! From my experience of hearing the sound systems of others and in soundrooms in the 1K bracket, nothing sounds as good to us as our Bose 321 for being as small and nearly invisible as it is, although my KLH system Model 20 was pretty awesome that I had bought in the 60's while in the Navy, one of the earliest with acoustic suspension speakers . . . see 2 pics below, but please don't be jealous of our mobile home's mod 60's decor, LOL! The JBL will probably go back, although I may keep it just for grins!

A special thanks to Jim and others that were helpful here. Peace!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Love that room. Also love your attitude. Some would have popped off at this bunch of nay sayers. I could have been kinder anyway. You seem to enjoy the Bose. I'm all for saving a buck. If the JBL speakers are not an improvement over the Bose, send them back. Put the money in the "in case something breaks" pot. Enjoy!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Glad it all works and can move on........persistence with what you have. ENJOY

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Laro Is that matching drapery fabric on the speaker grill? That is retro. :) I'm glad to see someone who is 78 still willing to come on to the forums for research and advice. I have enough trouble getting my father-in-law to remember to how to access his email. ;)

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Trebdp83: Thanks! The second photo to the last was in an 8 x 30 mobile home on a Maryland Navy base dumped by the army for being fire hazards . . . good enough for us sailors thou I guess! The last photo was after a couple of pay raises, then we bought our own new mobile home and had some fun with it! Yeah, I should send the bar back, but its kind of nice on certain movies! At our age thou, we don't care for it to be too loud . . . sometimes we place cotton in our ears when out at the movies . . . bet that looks good! LOL

Teetertotter: Thanks for the kind words!

Eppie: Yes and when I look back at some of the clothes I wore and photos of trying to grow my hair long . . . no wonder my first wife left me in 74! LOL!

I really like sites like this because the people on here are so knowledgeable and friendly! Some of us really do lose a lot of our short term memory as we age and that's a problem I have and probably your father-in-laws too! Still, I learned a thing or two here and if I provoked a few, it was probably due to not explaining my needs that well!

Anyway, everyone have a great week! :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Trebdp83: Thanks! The second photo to the last was in an 8 x 30 mobile home on a Maryland Navy base dumped by the army for being fire hazards . . . good enough for us sailors thou I guess! The last photo was after a couple of pay raises, then we bought our own new mobile home and had some fun with it! Yeah, I should send the bar back, but its kind of nice on certain movies! At our age thou, we don't care for it to be too loud . . . sometimes we place cotton in our ears when out at the movies . . . bet that looks good! LOL

Teetertotter: Thanks for the kind words!

Eppie: Yes and when I look back at some of the clothes I wore and photos of trying to grow my hair long . . . no wonder my first wife left me in 74! LOL!

I really like sites like this because the people on here are so knowledgeable and friendly! Some of us really do lose a lot of our short term memory as we age and that's a problem I have and probably your father-in-laws too! Still, I learned a thing or two here and if I provoked a few, it was probably due to not explaining my needs that well!

Anyway, everyone have a great week! :)
lolo "sometimes we place cotton in our ears" lolo that right there is good stuff man! Look it's your setup your money anyway You Choose to set it up is fine. Going the hard Route isn't always the best way with this audio/video thing. Can be costly, with that said Don't get disparage with some of AH older members they're Knowledgeable and somewhat hard core audio/video hobbyist. Mobile home a Fire hazard huh? I always thought the same of All mobile homes with all the glue used in the materials to build them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis