Help, how to run tape monitor on Pioneer SC-07

P

Paul in Boise

Audiophyte
Hello from Boise. I am trying to get my Bose 901 EQ box to work on my SC-07 receiver. It has a tape monitor and I have everything hooked up correctly but I can't get the tape monitor to run while I have other inputs running. The speakers have sound but the EQ isn't working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Not possible..
SC-07 has analog R/L Tape In & Out but it is NOT a Tape Monitor circuit. Dolby Surround AVRs are NOT allowed to have a Tape Monitor feature. The only way U can make the SC-07 work with the Bose is to connect an external power amplifier to the Front L/R pre-outs through the EQ box..

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

Paul in Boise

Audiophyte
Thanks a ton, I know most of you on here are advanced so I hope you don't mind a rookie asking questions. So knowing that I can't run the 901's and EQ thru my SC-07, would adding an Adcom GFA-2535 pre-amp add anything to the equation? I have a friend that said he would give me the GFA-2535 if it would work. I think I still have the tape monitor problem but I figured I would ask. Thanks again.

ps. While I am at it, I do have an older Yamaha reciever that does have a tape monitor but it is only like 60w. I really would love to keep using the sc-07 as my primary amp but if there is just no place for it with the 901 in any scenario it doesn't matter. Choices.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks a ton, I know most of you on here are advanced so I hope you don't mind a rookie asking questions. So knowing that I can't run the 901's and EQ thru my SC-07, would adding an Adcom GFA-2535 pre-amp add anything to the equation? I have a friend that said he would give me the GFA-2535 if it would work. I think I still have the tape monitor problem but I figured I would ask. Thanks again.

ps. While I am at it, I do have an older Yamaha reciever that does have a tape monitor but it is only like 60w. I really would love to keep using the sc-07 as my primary amp but if there is just no place for it with the 901 in any scenario it doesn't matter. Choices.
A pre amp is useless to you for what you want to do. If you want to use the SC-07 you need to buy a power amp.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

Using the older Yamaha as a stereo amplifier would work function-wise..
However it seems that the Yamaha would have less power output for the L/R fronts than the SC-07 would have on the other center and surround channels. The major issue is the Bose EQ box inserts a bass boost of about 18dB and most likely will drive the Yamaha into high distortion.
But here is another suggestion..
MonoPrice has acquired some of the Audio Source amplifiers as B stock (refurbished) for $169..
This amplifier would work well using the L/R front pre-outs from the SC-07, connect the Bose EQ box between the SC-07 and external power amplifier. Here is a link for the amplifier..

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24299&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargetting&utm_content=300x250&utm_campaign=q2_2016_test

Post back if more questions..

Just my $0.02... ;)

T

tbgillespie

Audiophyte
Hello from Boise. I am trying to get my Bose 901 EQ box to work on my SC-07 receiver. It has a tape monitor and I have everything hooked up correctly but I can't get the tape monitor to run while I have other inputs running. The speakers have sound but the EQ isn't working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
You do not have to have tape monitor (in/out) jacks to hook up a Bose 901 EQ. The Bose EQ has to be "between" the source (CD, Sirus/XM radio, computer, Amazon Alexa, etc.) and the power amp. So you plug in all of your music sources into an audio/video switcher. The switcher output then goes into the input jacks of the EQ. The EQ output goes into the AUX (or whichever) input of the receiver. I just keep my receiver always on AUX and choose which source I want to listen to on the switcher.

Another amp is not necessary just a $20 switcher: RCA or GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switcher - at Wal-Mart.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You do not have to have tape monitor (in/out) jacks to hook up a Bose 901 EQ. The Bose EQ has to be "between" the source (CD, Sirus/XM radio, computer, Amazon Alexa, etc.) and the power amp. So you plug in all of your music sources into an audio/video switcher. The switcher output then goes into the input jacks of the EQ. The EQ output goes into the AUX (or whichever) input of the receiver. I just keep my receiver always on AUX and choose which source I want to listen to on the switcher.

Another amp is not necessary just a $20 switcher: RCA or GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switcher - at Wal-Mart.
That will only work for analog 2 channel sources. So it is not really much use.

T

tbgillespie

Audiophyte
He didn't say he wanted to use the Bose 901's in a surround sound setup. So for a person with a 2 channel set up I think it is a good suggestion.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

He didn't say he wanted to use the Bose 901's in a surround sound setup. So for a person with a 2 channel set up I think it is a good suggestion.
Even now though HDMI is required on 2 channel AV systems. Analog outputs are becoming less common.

Even more to the point those Bose 901s were lousy speakers, and not worth the bother.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis