Help for newbie. No sound!!

L

Lisa 123

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the terrific help so far. Now I need specific help.
I am not a true audiophile, but I am not totally audio illiterate either. Hopefully I am not as stupid as I feel right now.

I have a Mitsubishi HDTV, a panasonic DVD and a new Onkyo HTiB. I have connected the components per the Onkyo instructions:

DVD to Receiver - component video and optical audio connection
Receiver to TV - Component video

Mitsubishi also wants me to connect a coaxial digital input from the TV to the receiver. I assume (?) this is to get the TV sound to the receiver.

Sounds simple enough, but I have all of this hooked up and no sound. Interestingly enough, before I hooked up the component video to the TV I had beautiful sound coming out of the DVD, just no picture. Go figure!!

thanks, Lisa

U

Unregistered

For the audio, it sounds like a digital input assignment problem. The dvd input on the onkyo defaults to optical input 1 and that is why you got sound from the dvd player.

It sounds like you are saying the tv has a coaxial digital output and you want to hook that to the receiver to get sound from the tv. I think the onkyo has only 1 coax digital input (the 501 and 502 do and the receiver that comes with the HTIB is similar to the 501). By default coax digital input is assigned to the cd. Try pressing cd and see if you hear the sound from the tv. You can assign it to any other input you want and video1 or video2 is more logical. To do that, select cd, then digital input and change the assignment to --- or analog. Then press video1, then digital input, and change it to coax1. Now sound from the coax digital input will be output when you select video1 on the receiver.

For the dvd video, its probably the tv input that is not correct. Change the tv input to match the name of the component jacks to which you connected the component video out from the receiver. If watching cable, the tv input will have to be on tv or antenna or whatever the tv calls it because the tv is the source of the video.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis