jinjuku

jinjuku

Lets give the new guy a break. Every journey of knowledge starts with a seemingly (to those in the know) rudimentary questions.

I have been doing the compute scene since my Atari 800XL. I think the computing environment is more complex than ever. I understand where the OP is starting from.

Still my suggestion stands: if you want to get an HTPC together check out the Sempron 140 based HP/Compaq I linked and add in a few of the add-ons.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Do you? [/sarcasm]
btw: What happened to RA&Avatar avatar?
IDK.....it was starting to scare me looking at my own posts...its rather jolting....
Lets give the new guy a break. Every journey of knowledge starts with a seemingly (to those in the know) rudimentary questions.

I have been doing the compute scene since my Atari 800XL. I think the computing environment is more complex than ever. I understand where the OP is starting from.

Still my suggestion stands: if you want to get an HTPC together check out the Sempron 140 based HP/Compaq I linked and add in a few of the add-ons.
I'm all for providing useful information.....but asking questions after they have already been answered is another thing altogether....

For a novice I still strongly vote than an HTPC not be an option. There will ALWAYS be things that go wrong and patches, end user maintenance, ect....I'm still of the opinion that media extenders and Network Media Players are the best bet for someone with minimal computer knowledge. If he wants to turn this into a real project thats one thing.....sounds to me though that he just wants to throw something together.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
But how loud is it? The Sempron is a really easy to cool solution.
Holy shite are you asking me to think? I have a hard enough time making sure the regiment of pills I take get to where they are going. I'm a huge fan of amd but just throwing a similar processor watt solution out there. I'm out way to much thought for a simple solution. :)

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
IDK.....it was starting to scare me looking at my own posts...its rather jolting....

I'm all for providing useful information.....but asking questions after they have already been answered is another thing altogether....

For a novice I still strongly vote than an HTPC not be an option. There will ALWAYS be things that go wrong and patches, end user maintenance, ect....I'm still of the opinion that media extenders and Network Media Players are the best bet for someone with minimal computer knowledge. If he wants to turn this into a real project thats one thing.....sounds to me though that he just wants to throw something together.
IV always wanted to have a HTPC but if its something that is way over my head I will def not try.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
IV always wanted to have a HTPC but if its something that is way over my head I will def not try.
I ran an HTPC for several years and no longer do. Even for the most tech savvy person they are a PITA to maintain. Thats why I don't run one anymore. If you have a lot of free time and want to learn, then by all means.....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does your PC have HDMI output?

If it does, just connect it to your receiver's HDMI Input and you have yourself a HTPC.:D

If it doesn't get a graphics card like ATI Radeon 5xxx series card with HDMI.:D

I don't watch TV and don't record TV, and I have never used a DVR, so I can't help you with that.:D

But you can do everything else - watch DVD, listen to music, watch blu-ray (if you have a blu-ray drive).

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Wica, I i ran that GPU-Z and took a screen shots put have never uploaded pics on here how do I do it? I was hoping that I could really just save all my DVD's and then be able to watch them on my system thats why I was wanting to do a HTPC but its sounding like its a little out of my league.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was hoping that I could really just save all my DVD's and then be able to watch them on my system thats why I was wanting to do a HTPC but its sounding like its a little out of my league.
It is EXTREMELY SIMPLE.

It is IN YOUR LEAGUE.

Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.:D

I probably have 500+ blu-ray movies on my hard drives as ISO files. I watch movies on my HTPC.

Did you answer my question about the HDMI?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't think it will be over your head. There are forums like us: AVSForum, Hometheatershack then there are forums like The Green Button.

Plenty of help. Just be succinct in your posts about what you are currently dealing with and clear targets that you want to hit. People will be there to help you.

Topics that you will be able to get plenty of help on:

Encoding your video library. As example: AnyDVD HD + Handbrake

Playback of your video library: Windows MCE plus MyMovies standalone

These are totally within your ability to get up and running with a few helpful hints.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I dont think it has HDMI on it. Its a DELL Precision M4300.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
But didn't you say the graphics card (video card) was UPGRADED?

You can look to see if there is an HDMI port on the back of your PC.

You can get a $40 PowerColor Radeon 5xxx card that has HDMI output if your PC does not have HDMI.

A year ago, I had never seen the inside of a PC in my life. Now I'm able to build a brand new HTPC from scratch.

It is very simple to upgrade or modify your PC if you need to. But you may not even need to at all, especially if it has a HDMI output.

I will give you a step-by-step instruction. No worries.

So step #1 is to look and see if it has an HDMI output.

You are not allowed to post anymore until you find that out.:eek::D:)
ADTG, I'm inspired by your enthusiasm, but please stick the facts - the man has Dell LAPTOP - and you just can't nilly-vanilli upgrade the video card, most of times video card upgrades are done by the original manuf, and rarely by 3rd party. If the laptop has no hdmi port, then there aren't any easy ways to add it.

However, I'm not saying it's impossible to reuse this laptop as htpc - he'd had to use VGA out for video and probably get external digital audio dongle - Creative USB SB 24 should do the trick.

About OP previus post about posting photos here - I think you should be allowed by now to attach a photo or two or just upload them to photobucket and provide the url links to them

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, I'm inspired by your enthusiasm, but please stick the facts - the man has Dell LAPTOP...
Oh crap.:eek:

(Deleted previous post:D)

Okay, he's screwed.:D

For some reason, I thought it was a desktop.:eek::D

Yeah, I hate using laptops for HTPC. They are so limited compared to desktops.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

I ran an HTPC for several years and no longer do. Even for the most tech savvy person they are a PITA to maintain. Thats why I don't run one anymore. If you have a lot of free time and want to learn, then by all means.....
LOL. To each their own. I just went rounds with a WDTV Live and Asus O!Play. They aren't replacing my Win7 MCE box anytime soon.

They were ok for what they are but no were near the flexibility and, if you desire, tweak-ability of a HTPC.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I dont think it has HDMI on it. Its a DELL Precision M4300.
Nope, no HDMI for you. Not even with Express Card slot.

For SOME reason my original post about the Sempron 140 based HP keeps getting ignored:D

I mean I have only had a computer for the past 25 years. What would I know:rolleyes:

Going VGA and TOSLink means no High Definition audio at the very least.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Well it looks like I won't be using my laptop then oh well at least now I know I will have to take another direction. So it looks like I'll have to build one then if I'm wanting a HTPC.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Well it looks like I won't be using my laptop then oh well at least now I know I will have to take another direction. So it looks like I'll have to build one then if I'm wanting a HTPC.
Uhg... I have built countless machines. I just PURCHASED the Sempron 140 based Compaq/HP because you can not build it for the less than $350 it is going to cost to add a video card and optional HSF (heatsink-fan).

It's quiet, comes with manufactures warranty and is ready to go.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
LOL. To each their own. I just went rounds with a WDTV Live and Asus O!Play. They aren't replacing my Win7 MCE box anytime soon.

They were ok for what they are but no were near the flexibility and, if you desire, tweak-ability of a HTPC.
Those devices can't run YAMJ. YAMJ is awesome because I can completely tweak the front end from the server and it will be the same with each device that connects to it. 1 setup for multiple devices. If I YAMJ didn't exist I wouldn't have an NMT.

Its easy to configure 1 device.....keeping all devices in the house synched is another story altogether and YAMJ is the best solution I have found thus far.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis