B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Im a newbie to computers and have always wanted a HTPC but have no idea how to get started and what I need. Right now I just have the normal set up Samsung 650 LCD TV, PS3, Pioneer Elite VSX 81TXV, and Def Tech speakers for a 5.1 set up. Eventually I want to get a 7.1 set up. Ive been reading a lot on here on other ppls systems and and how they use a HTPC to deo everythig. So I was wanting to know how I can get started and build this thing. I know its going to take some time to build it but like everyone else I want to get great stuff at a good price too. Could someone please help me get started and what not. Thanks in advance.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If it is strictly for HTPC use (that means no hardcore gaming):

Check out this HP at Newegg. $279.

Simply add this video card for $30 after rebate.

Add this BD Drive. for $50.

It will be quiet and allow for playback of BR titles. Low power consumption and low heat.

You may want to consider a 3rd party heat sink and fan. I had an 80mm that just fit with nano inches to spare :D

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Just to give a little info I have a DELL Precision M4300, I know it has been up greaded with a video card other things because I bought it new from school when I was doing electrical design I do know new its around $1300 and I called and said with all the upgrade stuff it was worth round $2300 but I dont know what it all has in it. But Im assuming its pretty fast and powerful do to the level of design I was using it for. Im trying to see if that will work for a HTPC but not sure Ill try to give all the info that I know to help.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
To your post no I will never use it for gaming I use the PS3 for that and for the Blu-ray/DVD player thats all.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is one confused thread, OP : Please slow down, narrow down your questions and provide ALL specs of existing equipment and what exactly you're trying to achieve.

For examples, checkout most of thread starting posts at hardocp forums.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
What ^^^ said.

This is the template that we use at [H].

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Sorry about that BoredSysAdmin I guess I was trying to say to much at once because I got a little bit excited.:D Ok let me try this again I have the Dell computer as mintioned above and was wanting to use that computer as a HTPC but wasnt sure what I needed to be able to use that comp as the HTPC. I have 300+ DVD's and would like to store them and record TV shows some how where I can choose the movie/TV show and it will play on the Tv through my system, kinda like if you were using a DVR and picking a movie or TV show that has been recorded. Im not 100% what is inside of the DELL but I do know it was built for a graphic designer as that is what I do, but I have a comp that work gave me so I have no use for my laptop and was wanting to turn it into a HTPC.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It sounds like you need to do a little more research and learn about PC construction before you embark on this endeavor. If you aren't comfortable identifying components in a PC I would not recommend that you attempt to assemble one.

You would be much better suited getting an Acer Revo, or a Zotac ZBox.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I concur with krzywica, thou you might not have to replace parts in that laptop, if you unable to identify it's components - shows possible lack of tech knowledge on your part to finish this project exactly as you imagine. I understand instead of building new HTPC you'd like to convert your older laptop?

You can achieve relatevely easy dvd library and media client with 10ft interface
As far as horsepower goes, Precision M4300 has more than enough and provided video card was upgraded it might even support video card accelerated playback, thou it sounds like it might not be required in your case.

Problem #1 - 300 Dvds in original form will take atleast 1.5Tb of space, which I doubt your laptop has that space, most likely you'll want to have enternal NAS for storage all this movies.

For media frontend, the laptop should be fine. Just install Boxee on it and you'll be set. For remote control I prefer to use single universal remote, so a simple $50 usb MS-MPC IR receiver (off ebay) should take care of remote control part.

Problem #2: PC based DVR - while it possible to do, it very much depends on how do receive your tv now (roof antenna or bunny ears, cable/sat/fios or uverse). This WILL require high level of technical knowledge and expertise to achieve.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
BoredSysAdmin, Im not very comp knowledgable but I can find out what I have or need to have if I knew what to look for. I do know the video card has been upgraded and it was one of the cards that a Pc gamer would use cant remember the name tho sorry. For problem one I do know that I will at least need a 1.5 tb because I know I dont have that much HD space on my comp. What is Boxee? I have a harmoney remote will that work? Prob 2 I have my PS3, ComCast HD DVR all going to reciever and then one HDMI to the TV. Sorry for all the dumb questions Im just trying to learn and see if I can utilize my PC for something better than just surfing the net thats all. Would it just be cheaper and easier to just buy a HTPC already built from somewhere and incorporate it into my system vs using my old PC?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Sorry about that BoredSysAdmin I guess I was trying to say to much at once because I got a little bit excited.:D Ok let me try this again I have the Dell computer as mintioned above and was wanting to use that computer as a HTPC but wasnt sure what I needed to be able to use that comp as the HTPC. I have 300+ DVD's and would like to store them and record TV shows some how where I can choose the movie/TV show and it will play on the Tv through my system, kinda like if you were using a DVR and picking a movie or TV show that has been recorded. Im not 100% what is inside of the DELL but I do know it was built for a graphic designer as that is what I do, but I have a comp that work gave me so I have no use for my laptop and was wanting to turn it into a HTPC.
you could always post your Dell Express Service Code tag, then we could get an idea as to what your handling:)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Boxee

I would not recommend a NAS unless you know a little about networking. Just get a 2TB USB external if you go the laptop route.

Like I said before, you need to do more research. We are glad to help you but when you have such rudimentary questions it makes it appear as though you haven't done any research.

Download GPU-Z and run it. Report back here with screen captures of the results.

Download CPU-Z and report back here with screen captures of the results.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
you could always post your Dell Express Service Code tag, then we could get an idea as to what your handling:)
Its a Dell Persion M4300, it was modified before I got it because Im a electrical designer. I got it from the school I went to and it was brand new, this is why I have no idea what is in it or what all upgrades it has. I know it is a very good comp. On eBay it was selling for $1500 last year and before I left with when I graduated I called Dell and they told me what it all had but I dont really remember what it had I do know they said it was worth around $2300 with out the programs I use.

"We are glad to help you but when you have such rudimentary questions it makes it appear as though you haven't done any research." Well I have researched it but Im not sure what a lot of the terms mean or our. I know they are very basic questions but I have to start somewhere to learn and understand what things mean or how to go by checking things out and what not. Kinda not like your just going to jump into third year engineering major and know everything, you have to start form the begining and learn, but since there are no teachers I figured I would ask here and try to learn more and more and get ideas what to do and where to look stuff up. Sorry for the rant.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Follow the instructions in post #12. That info will go a long way to figure out what your system is capable of.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks I will when I get home as Im posting here at work. :D
You could'he saved us all good bunch of time (and saving your own face btw too) by telling this much earlier ....
krzywica's lmgify is a bit redundant, as I provided link to boxee above.
check wiki if you still confused. Do some effort and you'll get more help.

Weekend is almost here, get home. do what we told you and btw: I'm procrastinating at work too ;)

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
BoredSysAdmin, sorry bout that I thought I did on the first page. Well at least it made since to me tho;) but now you that its out there and clear Im going to go home and try that download thing and then post again tonight once done. Thanks again everyone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis