Help Building 2.1 system for 65% movies and 35% music.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone,
I have been reading a lot of forums have gathered some knowledge but still not able to fix all the pieces of the puzzle.
I am trying to put a system together for my room (12ft. x 20ft. x 8ft.). I have bought a pair of KEF Q100s, it could be returned if necessary.

The confusing pieces of the puzzle :
1. Choice of AVRs Denon X1500 ($449), X2400 ($500), X2500 ($600), X3500 ($739), X4400 ($999), Marantz SR6012 ($999)
2. Choice of Sub KEF Kube8 ($400) Kube10($500), Polk HTS 10 ($250), ProSub 1000 ($299), BIC V1020 ($299), Dayton Audio S1000 ($200).

Conditions :
1. Don't want to spend more than $1000 (excluding BS speakers) at the moment.
2. Ultimate goal is to have a decent surround sound setup with projector and 100" screen
3. Used AVR-X1500 with Kefs volume control sits at 75-80% mark for usual movies and music, not party level loudness.
4. Interested is building something aesthetically pleasing ( wife acceptance factor :p )
5. Open to suggestions regarding any other brand of speakers or Subs

Prices are in CAD

It'll be great help if I could get some suggestions for building this system, Thanks :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If this system is going to remain a 2.1 system, I don't see much of a reason to buy the higher priced AVRs. However, if you are going to expand this system out to a surround sound system, then get the more expensive AVRs.

As for subwoofers, I am not terribly excited by any of your choices. I would save up and maybe get an SVS sub which is available for reasonable prices in Canada. I would be looking at the 2000 series.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
O.K., here's my suggestion, get an AVR with Airplay and HDMI input. That will allow you to wirelessly play music library residing on your computer as well as from music streaming services; and, from HDMI connection you will be able to play multi-channel digital media in addition to stereo. That's it, and since these features are included on virtually every brand and model of AVR out there, you will be ready, as money and interest influence, to expand into surround sound for either music or movies, having the AVR infrastructure in place to allow expansion, i.e. surround speakers, and Ultra BD Player with HDMI output.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi everyone,
I have been reading a lot of forums have gathered some knowledge but still not able to fix all the pieces of the puzzle.
I am trying to put a system together for my room (12ft. x 20ft. x 8ft.). I have bought a pair of KEF Q100s, it could be returned if necessary.

The confusing pieces of the puzzle :
1. Choice of AVRs Denon X1500 ($449), X2400 ($500), X2500 ($600), X3500 ($739), X4400 ($999), Marantz SR6012 ($999)
2. Choice of Sub KEF Kube8 ($400) Kube10($500), Polk HTS 10 ($250), ProSub 1000 ($299), BIC V1020 ($299), Dayton Audio S1000 ($200).

Conditions :
1. Don't want to spend more than $1000 (excluding BS speakers) at the moment.
2. Ultimate goal is to have a decent surround sound setup with projector and 100" screen
3. Used AVR-X1500 with Kefs volume control sits at 75-80% mark for usual movies and music, not party level loudness.
4. Interested is building something aesthetically pleasing ( wife acceptance factor :p )
5. Open to suggestions regarding any other brand of speakers or Subs

Prices are in CAD

It'll be great help if I could get some suggestions for building this system, Thanks :)
For the sake of the sound, I would avoid small main speakers- the transition just makes it harder to 'knit' the mains and sub together without being able to hear it.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
If this system is going to remain a 2.1 system, I don't see much of a reason to buy the higher priced AVRs. However, if you are going to expand this system out to a surround sound system, then get the more expensive AVRs.

As for subwoofers, I am not terribly excited by any of your choices. I would save up and maybe get an SVS sub which is available for reasonable prices in Canada. I would be looking at the 2000 series.
Thanks, the idea here is to have a great 5.1.2 for the price going forward to enjoy movies n music for 4-5 people I am not sure if 5.1.4 is significantly better than 5.1.2 in my space cuz the seating area is really an inch off the wall.

For Sub I can save up but is it such a huge differences I dont want a ton of spl its a small 2 bedroom condo?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks, the idea here is to have a great 5.1.2 for the price going forward to enjoy movies n music for 4-5 people I am not sure if 5.1.4 is significantly better than 5.1.2 in my space cuz the seating area is really an inch off the wall.

For Sub I can save up but is it such a huge differences I dont want a ton of spl its a small 2 bedroom condo?
Looks like you should stick with 5.1.2 with that kind of seating.

Regarding subs, I will still go for a better sub. That will give you deeper and cleaner bass. You might look at an SB-2000 or a PB-1000.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
O.K., here's my suggestion, get an AVR with Airplay and HDMI input. That will allow you to wirelessly play music library residing on your computer as well as from music streaming services; and, from HDMI connection you will be able to play multi-channel digital media in addition to stereo. That's it, and since these features are included on virtually every brand and model of AVR out there, you will be ready, as money and interest influence, to expand into surround sound for either music or movies, having the AVR infrastructure in place to allow expansion, i.e. surround speakers, and Ultra BD Player with HDMI output.
You made a good point but the question I have is why there are so many AVRs at different price points if they are practically similar? What the take of people here on THD being 0.08% @ 20hz to 20khz or 0.05% @ 20hz to 20khz?

Denon models above avr-x3500h are all rated at 0.05% rather than 0.08 I dont know if its a big deal?

I bought the AVR-X1500 but it has only one HDMI out I need atleast two. So now I debating shall I just get x2400 paying $50 extra or go with x3500 or x4400 and lets also put Sony STR DN1080 into the mix too.

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You made a good point but the question I have is why there are so many AVRs at different price points if they are practically similar? What the take of people here on THD being 0.08% @ 20hz to 20khz or 0.05% @ 20hz to 20khz?

Denon models above avr-x3500h are all rated at 0.05% rather than 0.08 I dont know if its a big deal?

I bought the AVR-X1500 but it has only one HDMI out I need atleast two. So now I debating shall I just get x2400 paying $50 extra or go with x3500 or x4400 and lets also put Sony STR DN1080 into the mix too.

Thanks
I don't think the Sony AVRs really deal in Atmos yet? Regarding the amplifiers, none of them will be stellar in your price range. Don't worry about microscopic THD. The 4400's amp would be better, one would hope.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
For the sake of the sound, I would avoid small main speakers- the transition just makes it harder to 'knit' the mains and sub together without being able to hear it.
I know even I was looking at towers initially but I dont have a lot of room to leave behind or on the sides of the speaker the bookshelves are sitting on top of TV bench I can change the speakers for a better one if that's going to change things significantly.

I was thinking instead of KEF Q100 ($298) shall I get ELAC B6.2 ($349) or ELAC Uni-Fi ($500) or Klipsch RP 160M (not sure the price) or Polk S20 ($289)

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
I don't think the Sony AVRs really deal in Atmos yet? Regarding the amplifiers, none of them will be stellar in your price range. Don't worry about microscopic THD. The 4400's amp would be better, one would hope.
Sony STR DN1080 does support DTS-X and Atmos.

Denon x4400 is definitely a good step-up its weighs close to 30 lbs while the X3500 23lbs. Do you think it could be because of better power supply n components?

Which is better Denon x4400 or Marantz SR6012 cuz the price is same $999 and is it worth spending that much when X3500 is available for $740?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sony STR DN1080 does support DTS-X and Atmos.

Denon x4400 is definitely a good step-up its weighs close to 30 lbs while the X3500 23lbs. Do you think it could be because of better power supply n components?

Which is better Denon x4400 or Marantz SR6012 cuz the price is same $999 and is it worth spending that much when X3500 is available for $740?
The 4400 is closer to the 7012 than the 6012. If your only going to stay with 2.1 no need to concern about atmos or dtsx. The 3400 is more than capable and an good value. The 4400 measures slight better, and a slight increase in power, both of which probably irrelevant to most.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
The 4400 is closer to the 7012 than the 6012. If your only going to stay with 2.1 no need to concern about atmos or dtsx. The 3400 is more than capable and an good value. The 4400 measures slight better, and a slight increase in power, both of which probably irrelevant to most.
Thanks! But eventually it'll be a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2. I was thinking of getting ELACs uni-fi ub5 and uc5 for front LCR down the road and those are rated @4ohms. Do you think x4400 would be a better match than x3500?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You would want to consider the Denon 3400 on sale at most places for $600 USD.

If funds are tighter and amp preouts don’t matter, I was able to find a deal recently on a Yamaha A770 which is 95w per ch. but no amp preouts for $400 USD. It has gone up to $450 but may drop down again on Amazon.

Anyhow I would try to get more funds to your front 3 speakers and get a decent sub.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks! But eventually it'll be a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2. I was thinking of getting ELACs uni-fi ub5 and uc5 for front LCR down the road and those are rated @4ohms. Do you think x4400 would be a better match than x3500?
I'd get the 3400 as its rated for 4ohm and if needed down the road get a two or three channel amp just for the fronts.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
You would want to consider the Denon 3400 on sale at most places for $600 USD.

If funds are tighter and amp preouts don’t matter, I was able to find a deal recently on a Yamaha A770 which is also 105w per ch. but no amp preouts for $400 USD. It has gone up to $450 but may drop down again on Amazon.

Anyhow I would try to get more funds to your front 3 speakers and get a decent sub.

Good luck! :)
Thanks for your input. I am getting a x3500 for CAD 740 seems like a good deal to me.

What would you suggest for LCR?

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
I'd get the 3400 as its rated for 4ohm and if needed down the road get a two or three channel amp just for the fronts.
Thanks! So in your opinion I should just stick to x3400/x3500 and don't bother about x4400 at all?

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
If the price is no issue I'd go ahead with the 4400.
Hahaha price is always an issue but its not impossible to buy :p

But the question is for 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 does it make sense to invest in x4400 vs x3500 and use the left over money in my case $260 on something else like better speakers or sub or acoustic treatment?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hahaha price is always an issue but its not impossible to buy :p

But the question is for 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 does it make sense to invest in x4400 vs x3500 and use the left over money in my case $260 on something else like better speakers or sub or acoustic treatment?
The 3400 should be less than the 3500 and identical to the 3500 for the most part. And yes put more budget to the speakers and sub. I would argue towards the sub.

A

aim1861

Audioholic Intern
The 3400 should be less than the 3500 and identical to the 3500 for the most part. And yes put more budget to the speakers and sub. I would argue towards the sub.
X3400 is not available anymore where I live, amazon.ca is selling for cad 749. Local shop is giving X3500 for the same price. X3500 adds phono input over x3400

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis