Height Speakers for Dolby Atmos Application

N

Niv

Audiophyte
Hi, would height speakers achieve the desired affects of Atmos sound? I currently have definitely technology equipment with the atmos modules, but while better than nothing, I don't think I'm getting the desired affect. I have a Marantz 7012, which does have an assignment for front modules and rear heights. I was thinking about bracketing my 800's (satellite speakers) up for height speakers. I'm new to this world and learning.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

N

Niv

Audiophyte
I'm going to undertake the project tomorrow. I'll post back here after I give it a run through.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi, would height speakers achieve the desired affects of Atmos sound? I currently have definitely technology equipment with the atmos modules, but while better than nothing, I don't think I'm getting the desired affect. I have a Marantz 7012, which does have an assignment for front modules and rear heights. I was thinking about bracketing my 800's (satellite speakers) up for height speakers. I'm new to this world and learning.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Do I understand you to say that you’re going to remove your surrounds and relocate them to height positions? That will definitely not work. If you’re talking about mounting the modules in the height locations, that might be a problem too since there’s a notch in the FR so sound appears to come from above and so you can’t localize it. Another thing about modules is they can definitely take some care in finding the angle to hit the couch. Think of making a bank shot. Here you can see how different ceiling heights and distances can affect everything.

Also, did you run audyssey with the modules in place, and select them as Dolby enabled? The AVR needs to know that so it sends the right content, and doesn’t try to EQ the notch out.

N

Niv

Audiophyte
Presently, the AVR is processing 7.1.2. If I take 2 surrounds and raise them and assign the amp accordingly, it will be processing 5.1.4. I don't really see why this wouldn't work, they would be receiving the appropriate atmos signal per amp assignment. They will also be on tilting brackets. I do appreciate the input.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Presently, the AVR is processing 7.1.2. If I take 2 surrounds and raise them and assign the amp accordingly, it will be processing 5.1.4. I don't really see why this wouldn't work, they would be receiving the appropriate atmos signal per amp assignment. They will also be on tilting brackets. I do appreciate the input.
YeH that should work but use the rear surrounds, not side surrounds as that will definitely mess you up. OP wasn’t clear about 7.1.2 so I was only speculating what you had set up.

N

Niv

Audiophyte
Understood and thanks. My room actually isn't the greatest for listening. I have limited space for the towers/modules and can't really move them around much. They do work, but not perfectly.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Understood and thanks. My room actually isn't the greatest for listening. I have limited space for the towers/modules and can't really move them around much. They do work, but not perfectly.
I think a height mount will definitely be better. If the room is tight, you might find 5.x.x to be better than shoehorning a 7ch bed layer in there. 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2 as well, but you need a little room behind the LP. Like 5-6 feet. For the modules, you might be able to tip them back, or forward to hit the right angle. At least until you get the height mount done.

N

Niv

Audiophyte
I've completed the project (easy) and can attest that height speakers definitely work with Atmos sound as long as your amp has an assignment for it. Also, I agree with the above statement: 5.2.4 is better than 7.2.2.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis