Health Check/Midlife Tuneup

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
How would you respond if the original manufacturer offered a service to check the health of your current device or perform a factory cleaning, full electronic/electrical refurbishment etc.

What would be your price threshold (in % of original component cost) for cleaning or refurb? What would motivate you to do this? (environmental, sentimental, WAF, etc). What would your biggest concerns be? (shipping damage, temporary loss of use, waiting time, etc.). Would there be some components that you don't think would be appropriate to mess with?

Not asking for any reason other than curiosity, as I'm fascinated by how long some people hold onto their gear and the attachment that grows...

Last edited:
V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Most of my gear is 25 yrs. young other than receiver and a crown amp for subs, much cannot be replaced which is why I had a carver amp fixed, would be a great service to have refurbished by original manufacturer, when I purchased most of my equipment my enthusiasm far outweighed my common sense.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If it works properly, I rarely worry about equipment. If the sound becomes intermittent, like some pieces that regularly had to have the controls & switches cleaned, I clean them. It might take some time for me to be motivated to do it, but it will eventually be done. In the process of that now. If there's an obvious component failure, I don't wait unless it's NLA or too expensive. If it has tubes, like my guitar amps (two are from the late-1950s, one is from the late-1930s), I just do it.

I really preferred having local shops where I knew who would be working on my stuff but many places closed, people left the business, retired or died.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
You raise a very good point about trust. Disaster would be sending it to the manufacturer, only to have them pass it off to a sub contractor who screws it up. Particularly applies to older gear, where product knowledge has vanished.

Sorry @highfigh ... initially hit the wrong button (dislike). Now corrected. I'm all thumbs today!

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
It would have to be DOA for me to even consider sending it back.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It can be difficult to tell sometimes. Slow degradations in performance aren't always apparent to a long term listener.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It can be difficult to tell sometimes. Slow degradations in performance aren't always apparent to a long term listener.
True enough.

I have a Pio Elite AVR, 12 years of daily service, and I just about popped the cover to blow out the dust, then I decided I didn't feel like messing with it. Maybe in another few years it will get to the top of my list and get done.

Now, my PC does get a thorough blow-out every couple of years.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
True enough.

I have a Pio Elite AVR, 12 years of daily service, and I just about popped the cover to blow out the dust, then I decided I didn't feel like messing with it. Maybe in another few years it will get to the top of my list and get done.

Not a huge risk removing a cover and blowing out dust. I do it every few years too.

If I had an amp with a fan, I'd probably blow it out annually.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
True enough.

Many years I used can air to blow out some dust in an old PC, but was careless and got some freezing liquid on the motherboard. It did not survive that o_O

Since then I use something else to blow out dust like a lens blower and Q-tips as needed.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I have a shop compressor, dessicant packs and an air nozzle.

The air is dry and cool but nowhere as cold as refrigerant-based canned air. I use that stuff to freeze shrink difficult automotive fasteners (its often better than heat because it doesn't remove the temper from, of soften, fasteners). Just invert the can and press. Instant freeze!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I guess it depends on how in love (not romantically, you weirdo!) I am with a piece of equipment. I had a couple of Arcam universal players and, though they sounded fantastic, once they started acting up, they were out the door. Conversely, I have an original Sunfire True Subwoofer that I purchased in '97. It recently started acting funny ("motor boating" is the "technical" term) and I plan on sending it off to a gentleman who worked for Bob Carver and specializes in Sunfire repair because it has a special place in my heart. Heck we might even get married - you weirdo! :p

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This electronics blower is a good investment! I "only" paid $60 for it, right now it shows as $75 on Amazon. But, it will pay for itself vs. the canned air. It does have quite a bit of air flow, and it has various tips to allow for different crannies or blow patterns, etc.

I even use it after I wash my mountain bike to blow all of the water out of the critical areas that need to be dry ASAP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U899HQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My only piece of vintage audio gear is a Rega Planar 3 from the late 90s. It had already been upgraded with a 24V motor and a new phono cart when I bought it in 2015. Just to be sure I put a new belt on it because the existing belt seemed a little loose. Still plays like a charm but I really don't log much time on it. I wonder how some of my long gone vintage 80s and 90s equipment is doing now. Especially my original 1979 DCM Time Windows.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Its a real shame all the higher end electronics stores are gone in my area, really used to enjoy looking and listening to speakers and components!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Its a real shame all the higher end electronics stores are gone in my area, really used to enjoy looking and listening to speakers and components!
Right there with you. At least here in DFW we have one left - Audio Concepts. I've bought more than a few items there after auditioning them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt any manufacturer is going to offer such so why worry about whether they would or not?

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
One is starting to offer it in the U.K., so I was wondering if they are the leading edge of a larger trend.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis