Health Check/Midlife Tuneup

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
If ATI offered such a service for a comparable price (~150USD w/ return shipping included), I'd think about it when my amp was getting close to the end of its warranty period.
Yeah, that's a heck of a price. The challenge would be honoring it in a country as big as the US, where shipping miles are huge compared with tiny old blighty.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Yeah, that's a heck of a price. The challenge would be honoring it in a country as big as the US, where shipping miles are huge compared with tiny old blighty.
Shipping an amp from the East Coast all the way to ATI in Cali isn't cheap to be sure (been there, done that). That said, if they went that route, it may not be a bad idea to open a small servicing center elsewhere. That would also have the benefit of reducing shipping costs for warranty claims.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Its a real shame all the higher end electronics stores are gone in my area, really used to enjoy looking and listening to speakers and components!
Did they age out of the business, or close due to lack of sales?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I too wonder about how well that would work in the US and who'd be interested in setting up such an offer/operation. Might be more interesting to a brand that also distributes others like PMC (or are they under a corporate umbrella with those other brands already?). Not something that has particularly been an issue but if Carver had offered such, might have use for that in the past.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I don't know. I could see companies like Carver, Mc, Parasound, Bryston doing this here... but have no clue whether the numbers exist for a business case.

One tier down (Sony, HK, Denon, etc.) certainly have the numbers of potential customers and the scale to fund this... but again, not sure if there's any money to be made.

It's funny that, for all Western societies'/business' talk about environmentalism, the only thing that seems to come out of it is a replacement program (turn in your old gear for credit for new gear) that involves shipping old boards to be shipped overseas to be recycled by children (a bit of hyperbole, but that's how it turns out at times).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know. I could see companies like Carver, Mc, Parasound, Bryston doing this here... but have no clue whether the numbers exist for a business case.

One tier down (Sony, HK, Denon, etc.) certainly have the numbers of potential customers and the scale to fund this... but again, not sure if there's any money to be made.

It's funny that, for all Western societies'/business' talk about environmentalism, the only thing that seems to come out of it is a replacement program (turn in your old gear for credit for new gear) that involves shipping old boards to be shipped overseas to be recycled by children (a bit of hyperbole, but that's how it turns out at times).
We largely are still a disposable electronics society in any case. Many replacement boards aren't even made available beyond 5 years. Modular components would be nice but hardly anyone of serious volume does this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis