C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I would just like to note that your receiver probably has a pretty poor headphone amplifier in it. For that reason, I would HIGHLY suggest getting a headphone amplifier if you plan on spending any money on headphones. I have a DIY headphone amp called the Meta 42, built off plans from this website:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/

There is a newer version out with a new board design you could put together. If you are not good with electronics, you can buy a premade one (Musical Fidelity makes a decent one, Grados is alright too) or hire one of the many guys on head-fi.com (also a great resource) that make them for people. I would suggest the latter if you don't build it yourself, because the Meta series stuff is much better for the money than the pre-made stuff.

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT831s (awesome 'phones) I power with a Meta42 headphone amplifier for studio work and pleasure listening.

For DJing I use Sony MDR-600s.

Headphone audio is very rewarding and I think you will really enjoy it.

-Chad

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
cbraver said:
I would just like to note that your receiver probably has a pretty poor headphone amplifier in it.
Based on what evidence?

-Chris

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
My amp is a NAD C370, any opinions on that headphone section?

Thanks for all you're advice. I ended up with the Etymotics er-6 from tweeter.com for $85. Hope they turn out well.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
When you get your er-6s, I hope you'll post a review or at least your impressions. It'd be nice to get audioholics some more headphone impressions and information.

I have an NAD receiver and the headphone out seems fine (it's not exactly rocket science, y'know). You've also got some tone controls on there, which is a good thing to have to fine tune the sound, of course.

I hope you'll approach the idea of headphone amps skeptically, in the spirit of this place (audioholics). There is a lot of nonsense going around in the hifi headphone community. It'd be nice to keep the nonsense here to a minimum. The low nonsense factor is a big reason I visit here, anyway. :cool:

nm2285 said:
My amp is a NAD C370, any opinions on that headphone section?

Thanks for all you're advice. I ended up with the Etymotics er-6 from tweeter.com for $85. Hope they turn out well.

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Well I've listened to the ER-6s quite a bit now and have this to say:
-They serve great detail
-Slightly metallic highs
-Slightly bright
-Controlled, tight, but understated bass (using a bass boost on an equalizer or portable player fixes this)
-Crisp and clear
-Suprisingly comfortable
-Good blockage of noise

I'll be keeping them and enjoy them for quite some time. I'm thrilled that I was able to find them for $85 from an authorized retailer (Tweeter online).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis