N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Anyone have recommendations on headphones? I'm looking most seriously into the Sennheiser HD208, Shure E2(c), and Etymotic E6(i). Looking to spend around $90-100. I haven't decided on whether I want the in-ear or full size style yet. In-ear would be nice to have, but if the others would provide much superior sound and represent a much better value, I'll certainly consider them.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MB Quart makes the best full size money can buy. PERIOD!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 for which I paid about $80.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I also have Sony. The Sony MDR-V600. Not bad but they sound much brighter with my Yamaha that with any Sony or Onkyo reciever I've used them with in the past.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder what the difference, if any, is between MDR-V6 and MDR-V600. People always ask me if I made a typo when I say MDR-V6, but no that is exactly what they say on them.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Anonymous said:
I wonder what the difference, if any, is between MDR-V6 and MDR-V600. People always ask me if I made a typo when I say MDR-V6, but no that is exactly what they say on them.
The MDR-V600 and MDR-V6 are completely different products. The MDR-V600 is a consumer-grade headphone that has average quality build quality. The MDR-V6 is nearly identical to the MDR-7506(the OEM parts lists are nearly identical except for the part with the model number engraved and the plug). The MDR-V6 is a professional grade construction made for high durability. The two headphones have opposite sound characteristics. MDR-V600 has a low level of treble and deep bass compared the MDR-V6.

-Chris

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Headphone freak here!!! :D

Do you think you'd like open or closed (isolating) headphones? Do you like a bright (lots of treble) or a more subdued tonal balance?

Senn HD280s are excellent if you want isolation. However, they are only okay for comfort.

Grado SR60s are pretty strong bang for the buck, a classic open phone, and seem to be the safest bet for under $100 in that they please a lot of people (they cost ~$70). You can bend the metal headband out to make them comfortable.

Sony V6s are great closed phones, classics really, but if you don't like high treble energy you may want to avoid them. They are a little more comfortable than the Senn HD280s but I find the Senn tonal balance more pleasing. However, due to comfort, I end up using the Sony V6's more often and EQ'ing the treble down a little if I have to. The V6s and the HD280s are probably the best studio/live monitoring phones under $100. Both are rather admirable accomplishments; it's hard to make a good closed phone for cheap.

Off the beaten path a little is the Audio Technica A500 for about $100 at audiocubes.com (imported from Japan). It's an excellent closed phone, very big and colorful (not for taking out!), but comfortable and with a very pleasing tonal balance. It's more geared to pleasure listening (as opposed to live or studio monitoring) than the V6 or HD280.

These are all phones that tend to please a high proportion of the people who try them or that have a large following.

I've tried in-ear phones but I just can't take the trouble, mess, and discomfort of it. Some people are very happy with them though.

nm2285 said:
Anyone have recommendations on headphones? I'm looking most seriously into the Sennheiser HD208, Shure E2(c), and Etymotic E6(i). Looking to spend around $90-100. I haven't decided on whether I want the in-ear or full size style yet. In-ear would be nice to have, but if the others would provide much superior sound and represent a much better value, I'll certainly consider them.

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the responses.

Steve:
I definately want a sealed design. I'll be using my main system whenever making noise is not a problem. For the closed designs, I'm most heavily considering the Sony V6s (found around $100), Sennheiser HD280 (found right around $100), and Audio Technica ATH-D40 (found at $60). Those prices include shipping.

I'll be using these for pleasure listening, not studio monitoring stuff. I enjoy a wide range of sound. I would say I lean more towards the warm end of the spectrum, but not if it means a lack of detail. I don't mind a dry midrange, I just shy away from overly bright sounds.

Portability is a considerable issue, which is why I'm leaning towards the in-ear style (I want to be able to take them with me to classes and stuff). Any opinions on the Shure E2? Right now, that seems to be where my money is going.

I have not yet ruled out the full-sized phones though! Please offer any advice on them!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
zumbo said:
MB Quart makes the best full size money can buy. PERIOD!
'Best' according to what? Comfort? Accuracy? Euphonic coloration? After you specify what is 'best', please specify how this was deduced.

Thanks.

-Chris

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Not into the whole technical talk to try to sound sophisticated. If you ever get a chance to put a set on your head you will know. I am just offering an opinion on the subject. We all have one. That is the whole point of why we are here. Oh, and when I say best, I mean best. It is a very simple word! :)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
zumbo said:
Not into the whole technical talk to try to sound sophisticated. If you ever get a chance to put a set on your head you will know. I am just offering an opinion on the subject. We all have one. That is the whole point of why we are here. Oh, and when I say best, I mean best. It is a very simple word! :)
So, it's the BEST:

-Looking
-Accurate
-Sounding
-Comfortable

?

I've taken the time to audition most of the 'respected' headphones that are available, including units such as the Sony MDR-R10($4000 USD), Stax Omega II($2000) and many others; but I would not unconditionally say that any are 'best' at all things, and I would be even less confident in saying that one is 'best' at anything except too my personal preferences. The sole headphone that I'll go as far as to say it's 'best' at something for somone other than myself is the Sony MDR-7506, which has a different sound from most headphones; I found the MDR-7506 to be the 'most' accurate(sounding virtually exactly like the live sound in tonal balance) headphone when compared to live sound, when standing at the same distance as the microphones and using measurement grade(linear response) omnipolar micrphones--comparing the live event in real time to the headphone reproduction. Ironically, I don't particularly like the way it sounds when listening to commercially available music. :eek:

-Chris

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
LOOKS? I can't wait to see how good this set of headphones looks on my head. LOL.
When choosing speakers/headphones, sound quality and reliability are what I whould be after. I do not believe that Sony makes the best anything. Even if "they" say it is the best. Once again, I am just offering an opinion for another player that is one of the best speaker makers in the world. I prefer to buy speakers/headphones from a dedicated manufacturer. Not from a Wal-Mart type company that has some decent quality merchandise and tons of poor quality Wal-Mart type junk!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
zumbo said:
LOOKS? I can't wait to see how good this set of headphones looks on my head. LOL.
When choosing speakers/headphones, sound quality and reliability are what I whould be after. I do not believe that Sony makes the best anything. Even if "they" say it is the best. Once again, I am just offering an opinion for another player that is one of the best speaker makers in the world. I prefer to buy speakers/headphones from a dedicated manufacturer. Not from a Wal-Mart type company that has some decent quality merchandise and tons of poor quality Wal-Mart type junk!
Well, it appears you don't want to qualify what you meant specifically by 'best' or how you qualified them as such.

BTW, it's really no matter what other products a company produces so long as the one of interest is of the desired specification(s). The MDR-7506 is hardly something one finds in Wal-Mart, and is manufactured with very high quality parts(stainless band, stainless joints, well padded upper band, alloy can shells, stainless plug shell, thick heavy duty cord, etc.) in order to endure professional use(abuse).

-Chris

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Here's a link giving a stellar review of the Sure E2C (I've not heard them, but by subjective reputation they are good sounding with highs that are a little subdued). This review also includes favorable impressions of the Sony EX71s, which I do have, and which have prominent bass and highs (which by your account you might not like) but which I feel are well into the realm of high fidelity. The EX71s are supposed to be the most comfortable earbuds. You just have to realize they have a very aggressive sound. They are $40 or $50 or less. The reviewer is a very well-respected audio engineer (Linkwitz).

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

As far as portable closed full-sized hifi headphones other than earbuds under $100, that's a tall tall order, I think V6s are about it, at least as far as I know. Again, though, you're going to get an aggressive sound with those, with lots of highs and low bass. As WmAx pointed out, some feel they are near the pinnacle of accuracy in headphones, but this does not equate to the best phone for pleasure listening, but it IS portable and it IS hifi.

Sony Eggo D66s are closed and portable and can be imported from Japan for about $100 (audiocubes.com or minidisco.com). They have a nice smooth sound, but come up short in the mid-bass, which can really detract from the punch in the music.

I've not heard the Audio Technica ATH-D40. If you get it and like it please post about it, I'd be very interested to learn about it.:cool:

I can vouch for the AT A500s based on a brief audition, but it is in no way portable. It may well be the most pleasurable (by average hifi taste) closed phone in your price range though. The Senn HD280 is quite good sound quality, but again not really portable, not that comfortable, and more toward the monitoring type sound but to some more pleasurable than the V6 anyway, it's not so bright and strident.

nm2285 said:
Thanks for the responses.

Steve:
I definately want a sealed design. I'll be using my main system whenever making noise is not a problem. For the closed designs, I'm most heavily considering the Sony V6s (found around $100), Sennheiser HD280 (found right around $100), and Audio Technica ATH-D40 (found at $60). Those prices include shipping.

I'll be using these for pleasure listening, not studio monitoring stuff. I enjoy a wide range of sound. I would say I lean more towards the warm end of the spectrum, but not if it means a lack of detail. I don't mind a dry midrange, I just shy away from overly bright sounds.

Portability is a considerable issue, which is why I'm leaning towards the in-ear style (I want to be able to take them with me to classes and stuff). Any opinions on the Shure E2? Right now, that seems to be where my money is going.

I have not yet ruled out the full-sized phones though! Please offer any advice on them!

Last edited:
furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Full sized, Sennheiser HD600, Sony MDR-CD3000 (the best below $1000, but might be bright depending on taste).

In ear, Etymotic ER-4S.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Alright, so I've pretty much decided on either the Shure E2C for $73 or the Etymotics ER-6 for $99. I'm leaning towards the Etymotics because I believe it has more of the sound characteristics I'm after. Any last opinions on these two are certainly appreciated. Thanks for all the help thus far.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Furrycute:
I would definately love to, but spending a little more means more than doubling my budget. Don't think that's a consideration.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis