Headphones, the Solution for all our audio dreams and wishes?

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
I would think...

R Burton said:
I'm going to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and am wondering if a headphone amp is really required? I have a Yamaha RXZ9 receiver which should be enough to power the headphones. Is there a real advantage to having a seperate headphone amp?:confused:
...it all depends on your source...If it has the power to drive the 'phones to a practical, usable level I would say they aren't required...If, like some portable devices, the output is insuffucient then yada, yada, yada...

Do realize that overdriving your ears does have it's consequences and if you find that you require louder levels than you used to, damage may have already been done...

This musician, now a little audibly-challenged, suggests you listen at a comfortable level...

jimHJJ(...like eyes, y'only get one set of ears...)

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
The focus is on the high-end headphones

While many people have decent headphones costing under $200 usually, I suppose that a $1,000 set of headphones would beat most stereo setups. The human ear hears from 2 ears so headphones can meet up to the challenge of audio.

Headphones usually are directional to confuse the brain when it comes to space. However, recent algorithims such as cmss3d for headphones developed in conjuction with University of California researches along with the Creative advance technology center have eliminated a lot of problems with headphones.

I am not sold on headphones because I dont like wearing things on my head all the time but in terms of getting audiophile benefits they can beat a lot of sound systems which are affected by ROOM acousitcs, PLacement:eek: and other factors.

Its worth checking out, especially if you have an x-fi in your computer LoL. You can easily tell the difference between a compressed mp3 downloaded and one that doesn't have as much compression right away to a untrained ear. Maybe then your wife or whoever else may prefer high-end audio equipment because things start to sound better, that is already happening - well sort of.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
HTHOLIC said:
While many people have decent headphones costing under $200 usually, I suppose that a $1,000 set of headphones would beat most stereo setups. The human ear hears from 2 ears so headphones can meet up to the challenge of audio.

Headphones usually are directional to confuse the brain when it comes to space. However, recent algorithims such as cmss3d for headphones developed in conjuction with University of California researches along with the Creative advance technology center have eliminated a lot of problems with headphones.

I am not sold on headphones because I dont like wearing things on my head all the time but in terms of getting audiophile benefits they can beat a lot of sound systems which are affected by ROOM acousitcs, PLacement:eek: and other factors.

Its worth checking out, especially if you have an x-fi in your computer LoL. You can easily tell the difference between a compressed mp3 downloaded and one that doesn't have as much compression right away to a untrained ear. Maybe then your wife or whoever else may prefer high-end audio equipment because things start to sound better, that is already happening - well sort of.

I'm sorry, but while headphones are great (I love my MDR-7506s), they can't compare to a good stereo. Period. Headphones are excellent when you really want to listen to and dissect a mix, or when you want to enjoy some personal listening. But if given a choice, I'd take the stereo.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
love my cans

It's great to have spine-rattling sound filling the room. I also like to lie on the couch wrapped in a musical cocoon...so I do both, depending on my mood. Santa recently came through with a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's with a 10 ft. Cardas cable upgrade. He was even thoughtful enough to throw-in a Musical Fidelity X-CANv.3 headphone amp. Since this is my first real headphone experience, other than a cheesy pair of JVC's I use on my work computer, I can't compare or contrast them to anything in my known universe. Are they a substitute for my main sound system? No way. But thankfully it's not an either/or situation. As a sound alternative, they can have equally great impact, depending on my mood. I love 'em.

majorloser

majorloser

Grumble, Grumble

I had a pair of Senn 580's.

But for some strange reason they decide to commit suicide one day by crawling up inside an upright vacuum cleaner. :rolleyes:

The wife just doesn't know why they'd jump off the audio rack and do such a thing :mad:

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
majorloser said:
I had a pair of Senn 580's.

But for some strange reason they decide to commit suicide one day by crawling up inside an upright vacuum cleaner. :rolleyes:

The wife just doesn't know why they'd jump off the audio rack and do such a thing :mad:
Majorloser,
You just hit on THE major problem with headphones...it's solitary. When others are around it's bad form to shut them out. They'll get ya back!

majorloser

majorloser

Waking Up an Old Thread

OK, so now I'm looking into replacing my "dearly departed" :mad: Sennheiser HD-580's.

Any suggestions?

I like the looks of the HD-595's and they won't break the bank. I don't think I could convince myself that the HD-650's are a MUST HAVE. I haven't had a chance to try out a set of Grado's nor AKG's.

I just want something to "veg out" after work for less than $300.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so now I'm looking into replacing my "dearly departed" :mad: Sennheiser HD-580's.

Any suggestions?

I like the looks of the HD-595's and they won't break the bank. I don't think I could convince myself that the HD-650's are a MUST HAVE. I haven't had a chance to try out a set of Grado's nor AKG's.

Put the Beyerdynamic DT-880s and Sony MDR-7506 headphones on your list as well.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I havn't used anything but headphones for such a long time.

AKG 501's, 301, 271, and Sony MDR-v6.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Depending on what you want to spend, my favorites (and I've tried a ton) have been the AKG k701, k601, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD580. The k701s are the most "speaker-like" of the above mentioned headphones because they actually offer a degree of separation between instruments and soundstage. There resolution is also far and away the best.

I'm not a huge Sony V6 fan - I find them too shrill in the upper registers. The Sennheiser 280 is also widely touted...I found it dark and muddled. If you're looking for a budget headphone, I like the AKG k81dj (although it's very bassy), and the Grado SR60. However, I prefer the HD580 to those by a wide margin and they're only $125 at amazon.

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
here's what I did...

I just bought the Sony MDR-v6 from Amazon for $63 to use with my Ipod Nano and I really like them. They are very comfortable.

majorloser

majorloser

Depending on what you want to spend, my favorites (and I've tried a ton) have been the AKG k701, k601, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD580. The k701s are the most "speaker-like" of the above mentioned headphones because they actually offer a degree of separation between instruments and soundstage. There resolution is also far and away the best.

I'm not a huge Sony V6 fan - I find them too shrill in the upper registers. The Sennheiser 280 is also widely touted...I found it dark and muddled. If you're looking for a budget headphone, I like the AKG k81dj (although it's very bassy), and the Grado SR60. However, I prefer the HD580 to those by a wide margin and they're only $125 at amazon.
How would you compare the AKG's to the HD580's? (since I'm replacing a set of 580's)

I've never tried Beyerdynamic. How do they compare?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
How would you compare the AKG's to the HD580's? (since I'm replacing a set of 580's)

I've never tried Beyerdynamic. How do they compare?
The AKG's have a brighter, flatter sound to them. Coming from HD580 you might find their bass to be more lightweight. Sennheisers on a whole sound a lot more warm and thick in the midbass.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just to add to the confusion...

Any suggestions?

FYI, Amazon.com has the 580's on sale for $130. :D

Now, if you're a cheap SOB like me, that's cause to ruminate on how much I really wanted to "upgrade" or simply replace 'em and pocket the difference.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai

Any suggestions?

I have Senns HD580, Beyr DT931 and Grado SR 80. The HD580's are my favorites. To my ears they have a rich, balanced smooth sound that's hard to beat.

Dt931. Very detailed orientated without being harsh and they have a Broad sound stage. Very nice cans whose sound might be just the right thing to their ears. I could replace my 580's with them if I had to and be happy.

SR 80 A very in your face sound at the cost of balanced sound. However, if you want to crank it up and play air guitar, these are your babies. Ugly and uncomfortable with flimsy build qality.

Good luck!

Nick

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting comparison.

I have Senns HD580, Beyr DT931 and Grado SR 80. The HD580's are my favorites. To my ears they have a rich, balanced smooth sound that's hard to beat.

SR 80 A very in your face sound at the cost of balanced sound. However, if you want to crank it up and play air guitar, these are your babies. Ugly and uncomfortable with flimsy build qality.
I have both of these as well and pretty much agree. The Senn's are more comfortable and have a flatter, more "realistic" overall balance on all material. For easy listening these are by far the better of the two. They CAN do loud quite well if you wish. though

I used the Grado's for blasting out good ole rock rock and roll. They have that peaked upper/mid bass that rock just thrives on. I don't find them that awfully uncomfortable, though. Nowhere near the same league as the Senn's, but not that bad.

But, I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser 280's and I think these are slightly better than the Grado's for rock, and they are more comfortable as well. I rarely use the Grado's any more.

If I could have only one pair, It would be the 580's but, thankfully, headphones allow us to have a selection to fit our current wants/needs which speakers don't really allow as readily.

I have no experience with the 931 so I ignored that.

(FWIW, For portable use I use Koss Porta-pros.)

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

The Sennheiser website shows the HD580's and HD590's are discontinued. :mad:

I'm sure I can pick up some old stock (might be why they're so cheap). But that's why I was thinking about the HD595's.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I bought the Sennheiser 590 for $100 about a year ago. They are unbelievably comfortable to wear, and they sound very good --better than my speaker system. I don't get the same clear separation of different instruments and the distinct bass from the speaker system. However, I don't listen to them that much though.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
The Sennheiser website shows the HD580's and HD590's are discontinued. :mad:

I'm sure I can pick up some old stock (might be why they're so cheap). But that's why I was thinking about the HD595's.
I bought and returned the HD590s. I compared them to the HD580s I had and I found the 590s a little bright and a bit thin sounding for my tastes. Like speakers, it's a personal choice. At least you don't have to account for room acoustics.

Nick

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
The HD595 is the upgraded version of HD590, and from what I have read on the web, Sennheiser has improved the sonics as well in the upgrade. The HD595 only has a 50 ohm impedance, so it doesn't need a headphone amp to drive it. You can just plug it into any headphone out and it will play fine.

The HD580 is a bargain at what it is selling for nowadays. The HD600 is the HD580 upgrade, a slight improvement in sonics since the plastic grilles were replaced with metal ones. The HD580/600/650 have about 300 ohm impedance, as such, they need a headphone amp to bring out the best sonics, or you can use your receiver's headphone out to drive them. The headphone out of almost all portable players don't have the power to drive these cans properly.

I don't like the HD650 one single bit. To my ears, they too congested in the bass region. The music is WAY too syrupy like. I tried out too pairs, and I ended up returning them both.

The Beyerdynamics and AKG's are not easy to come by, and they'll cost you a whole lot more than the HD595, HD580. And the Grados, you either hate the sound or the love the sound, there is no in between. And the Grados are really uncomfortable to wear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis