Headphones, the Solution for all our audio dreams and wishes?

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Hey, everybody I havent posted in a long time, but I had this thought in mind.

I myself know that headphones arent always practical as I dont like wearing them for hours and being wrapped around a cord, even wireless ones can make people fell uncomfortable after a while

However, rather than spend $15,000 for a pair of speakers, shouldnt a $1,000 set of grado headphones be just as good.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/gs1000.htm

Note that headphones have shortcomings such as tricking your brain into thinking that sound is coming from the center as stereo recordings havent been designed for headphones.

However, besdies rooom acouastics, localizaion of sounds and factors in which sounds are dependent as to wheere you put the speakers and subwoofer.

Are headphones a bad idea, or even earphones.

Bass on headphones has gotten great over the years, you can even feel your ears shake on some of the high end headphones such as the sennheister hd 280- for $100 playing test tones, however the $1,000 grados may be much better.

Although audioholics has reviewed a few sets of headsets and headphones , I do not see any headphone reviews on the site- atleast the professional ones costing over $100 ie, the engineered ones used in studios rather than most bluetooth or cordless headphones. How about reviewing a $1,000 grado headphones.
From an audiophiles perspective, why are headphones a bad choice, atleast for stereo recordings.

Of course while watching movies I would rather not be wearing headphones and would prefer open space.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think headphones serve a purpose but I only wear them when I am editing audio. However, under no circumstance would I personally ever spend anywhere near $1,000 for headphones.

I am perfectly happy with my Sony MDR-V6 headphones which cost me about $80.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It depends on your needs. If you live in an apartment or condo some great cans just make good sense. I have a pair of Senn HD-600s left from those days that are still nice for late nights in the suburbs when I don't feel like waking neighbors. However not looking at the constraints of neighbors I think a $2,500 2.1 system or a $3,500 5.1 system is going to be a whole lot more fun.

FYI: There are high quality DSP based headphone amps that remove the center of your head effect.

FYI-2: If you are dead set on headphones as your solution then I highly recomend the reviews at a trusted dealer - http://www.headphone.com These guys live or die by their rep.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry, but there is lots of snake oil at Headphones dot com. Caution is advised.

Nick

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I do enjoy a good pair of headphones. I've never listened to $100 headphones (most expensive were Grado SR325s and Sennheiser HD600s). I have a pair of 280s I use in my office and they're a lot of fun to listen to, and someday I might like to get a pair of Sennheiser HD650s + a headphone amp for home use when I'm in that mood since the 600s were one of the best headphones I'd heard for my taste, although my experience with headphones is somewhat limited.

O

outsider

Audioholic
even the Grado SR80s are pretty nice.
headphone.com is a good place to see what is available, but I'm not sure how trustworthy their reviews are....

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I only listen to headphones when I do not feel like waking up the neighbors. Otherwise, if given a choice, I would rather listen to my stereo setup.

No matter how good a pair of headphones is, it just pales in comparison to a decent stereo setup.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
MDS said:
I think headphones serve a purpose but I only wear them when I am editing audio. However, under no circumstance would I personally ever spend anywhere near $1,000 for headphones.

Damn straight.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
furrycute said:
I only listen to headphones when I do not feel like waking up the neighbors. Otherwise, if given a choice, I would rather listen to my stereo setup.

No matter how good a pair of headphones is, it just pales in comparison to a decent stereo setup.

I agree that headphones are no replacement for a good stereo no matter HOW good they are. They have their place, and certainly I will always keep a good set around but i cant imagine myself ever replacing my steroe with a set of headphones, even if they cost as much as my stereo. They just cant recreate the grandeur that a good 2 channel setup can.

no. 5

no. 5

Haoleb said:
I agree that headphones are no replacement for a good stereo no matter HOW good they are. They have their place, and certainly I will always keep a good set around but i cant imagine myself ever replacing my steroe with a set of headphones, even if they cost as much as my stereo. They just cant recreate the grandeur that a good 2 channel setup can.
I totaly agree with that (plus, you can't get bass thumping your chest from headphones ;) ), but the concept still intrigues me.
it might be worth a try, get a nice set of (under $1000) cans an inexpensive headphone amp, and try it out befor you dump the stereo. if it works, great. if not, you end up with a nice set of headphones.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Headphones do have a place in my listening. If I have had stressful day, buy can't go to sleep, I listen to music with the Senns HD580s, sit back and close my eyes, I am in my own world and the stress melts away. Loud speakers are not nearly as effective as the headphones for this strategy.

Nick

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I dislike headphones so much I gave a pair of Stax Earspeakers to a buddy for late night listening. The feel of music coming from between my ears has always felt kind of creepy to me.:cool:

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
MDS said:
Heh, I got some MDR-V3's... but sadly... they are starting to get very very old.... still sound great though :D
Just need the earpiece cushions and a swivel part...

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I had Grado SR325s but sold them on ebay when I actually decided I was going to buy new speakers (which I'm still waiting on... arg).

I currently have Sennheiser PX200, HD280s and Shure E2cs I use with my two iRivers. The plantronics headset I have for my computer isn't that bad actually, which is good because my computer speakers died :(

And eventually I'd love to get HD650s (or something comparable) plus an amp, but I already said that.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to do...

...a side by side of my two latest acquisitions...a pair of Koss 'phones and a pair from Sony...<$5USD and $6USD respecively from el Waldo-Marto...I have a $7USD (after rebate) GPX CDP as my source. Don't laugh, there ain't a whole lotta diff as you go up the food chain...

My all time fave has been a pair of slightly modded Senn HD414s purchased back in the early '70s for the then princely sum of 25 bucks (I was making <$125/wk back then)...

My STAX SR-44/SRD-4 combo is a bit better sonically than the Senns, but those 30+yo 414s can't be beat for long-term comfort...

jimHJJ(...Does anyone make true binaural recordings anymore?...)

R Burton

Audiophyte
Sennheiser HD650

I'm going to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and am wondering if a headphone amp is really required? I have a Yamaha RXZ9 receiver which should be enough to power the headphones. Is there a real advantage to having a seperate headphone amp?:confused:

Haoleb

Haoleb

R Burton said:
I'm going to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and am wondering if a headphone amp is really required? I have a Yamaha RXZ9 receiver which should be enough to power the headphones. Is there a real advantage to having a seperate headphone amp?:confused:

I have noticed an improvement in nearly all areas with my DIY headphone amps on my Grado 125's and HD280's. Of course they are not necessary but they are relatively cheap and easy to sell if you dont like it, There are also a ton of very good headphone amps that you can build yourself.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
R Burton said:
I have Senns HD580s and a Corda Headamp. I can't tell the difference between the Headamp and my Denon 3806. At around $400 (don't know current prices, this was five years ago) if I had to do it all over again I probably would not buy the Headamp. Probably. If I was getting new HD650's it would be a harder choice. The Corda is a fine piece of audio equipment and it's a solid, no regrets type purchase IMO. If you did not have to streach finanically to buy one, I would say go ahead and make the purchase.

Whatever you do, stay away from headpones dot com. Snake oil all over the place IMO.

Nick

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/index.htm

A less expensive choice for $100 is the Behringer HA470

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-HA4700.html

Nick

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
HD500s, Shure E2C, Plantronics headset. Headphones have a part in my life, but I take my HT over them any day.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis