Headphones have spoiled me!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ok, I was listening to the PC using the ipod earphones last night ... that was horrible sound. there was distortion that was very audible.

we'll see how much better the headphone is ... but a 200buck headphone amp? hmmm, I don't think i'm at that stage yet. besides, after I ordered my headphone, the wife said I shouldn't use it when I'm on baby duty.

given that the headphone is an open design ... can I hear my baby? :eek:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
given that the headphone is an open design ... can I hear my baby? :eek:
If your listening a moderate levels and people are in the same room talking, you can hear them. But not if they are in another room. They can hear what your listening to.

So I would say that if your rocking out at higher volumes, or if the baby is in another room. No you will not be able to hear. If the kid is next to you while your wearing your headphones, and starts to cry. I would say that you will be able to.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
ok, I was listening to the PC using the ipod earphones last night ... that was horrible sound. there was distortion that was very audible.

we'll see how much better the headphone is ...
I'm like really excited about you purchasing these headphones. I can't wait to hear your impressions.

And they look really good too.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
haha ... have you tried these? or am I your guinea pig? hehe

edit: it's on the way here right now, can't test it at home cause I'm at work, but I can use my bro's ipod nano to test.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

we'll see how much better the headphone is
Well did you try them yet?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Well did you try them yet?
yep.

four setups:
1) ipod thin nano
2) straight to the external sound card
3) denon CD player with headphone out
4) PCM output from sound card to yamaha receiver

ok, they have less distortion and more bass than the earphones ...
they're comfortable, they're not that noisy to other people, but I can't hear anything else around me.

ok, so they sound good, they're comfortable ... to me they're worth it, but they might not be for everybody.

for example, I compared it to my brother's motorolla bluetooth headset, SQ difference is a bit hard to tell ... but this one trumps the comfortability of his headset.

oh and if guys have a headphone or earphone ... you should listen to the "manuel and luigi virtual haircut" mp3. if you can't find it on the net, i'll email it to you.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
yep.

ok, they have less distortion and more bass than the earphones ...
they're comfortable, they're not that noisy to other people, but I can't hear anything else around me.

ok, so they sound good, they're comfortable ... to me they're worth it, but they might not be for everybody.

for example, I compared it to my brother's motorolla bluetooth headset, SQ difference is a bit hard to tell ... but this one trumps the comfortability of his headset.

oh and if guys have a headphone or earphone ... you should listen to the "manuel and luigi virtual haircut" mp3. if you can't find it on the net, i'll email it to you.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like your not impressed?

The Motorola?

http://direct.motorola.com/ens/usa/bluetooth/stereo-music.html#S9

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Does your receiver have a headphone jack?

Have you tried them this way yet playing a CD?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Does your receiver have a headphone jack?

Have you tried them this way yet playing a CD?
i'm using the headphone jack on the receiver now ...

not with a CD, but I have some DTS songs in my HD i'm listening to right now.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
mazer, give me until after the weekend, I wasn't able to listen to the headphones that much because most of the time, I had one ear of the HP's off, listening for early warning signs of crying.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Buds?

Iwmax you've done tons of headphone testing but what about buds. I have loved Buds for a long time. I am thinking about trying some "cans" but I love the noise canselation and i like buds for riding and being active.

I have the sure e4's would you recomend any can's or even better any buds that could 1 up them.

The most important for me is bass. I fatigue so fast with high hz in my ear... I might be overly sensitive, but it really affects me quickly.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
From the best of my recollection, in that specified approximate price range, I have evaluated the Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD-280, Sennheiser HD-580, Sennheiser HD-25, Grado SR125, Grado HF-1, Sony MDR-F1, Sony MDR-CD900ST, AKG K271S, Audio Technica ATH-900, Sony MDR-V700DJ, Sony MDR-V600, AKG K501, Beyer DT880(2005 version) and the Beyer DT880(2006 version).

As for favorites in that group, the Sennheiser HD-580 is good for very general use across genres; a sort of jack of all trades. For classical/acoustic music, the most realistic, tonally, was the Sony MDR-CD900ST. In fact, I would rate the MDR-CD900ST as one of the most realistic, tonally, for any price range of headphone. But it has a shelved down treble that may sound perhaps 'boring' to many people, especially with pop/rock. The Grado HF-1 was probably the best I have heard for 'exciting' rock/pop music sound in that price range. But that headphone is not available, except by way of the used market, and for much more than the original selling price. The Sony MDR-7506 is the best closed studio tracking headphone I have tried. The 2005 Beyer DT880 with anti-resonance modification is like a refined MDR-7506, with an even more linear response, but it is open, hence, no sound isolation. The AKG K501, with flattened pad modification, has very high quality midrange/treble for acoustic/jazz and other more acoustically based music genres. But it's bass response was too shelved down for my taste. Also, I can not stand a stock AKG K501 without pad modification, FYI.

I'm just shooting in the dark here. Please try to as specific questions about a specific headphone.

-Chris
Hi WmAx,

You mentioned the Sennheiser HD-280. Was this the HD-280 PRO? I ask because I own HD-280 PRO's and since I don't own any other headphones I'm wondering what you thought of them. I use them to save my ears while drumming along with CD's so for this the sound quailty if fine. I do use them for music (mostly rock) and movies on occation. I might buy a set of better quality so I can leave the 280's in my drum room so I know where they are but wouldn't want to spend more than $100.(I just wouldn't use them enough to justify spending much more)

Just curious,
SBF1

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hi WmAx,

You mentioned the Sennheiser HD-280. Was this the HD-280 PRO?
It was the standard HD-280, which is sold for professional use. I am not aware if there is a special HD-280.

I ask because I own HD-280 PRO's and since I don't own any other headphones I'm wondering what you thought of them.
I thought that it had an annoying resonance in the lower midrange band. Other than that, it seemed okay. But the resonance is a deal killer for me.

I might buy a set of better quality so I can leave the 280's in my drum room so I know where they are but wouldn't want to spend more than $100.(I just wouldn't use them enough to justify spending much more)
Look for a refurbished Sennheiser HD-580. Should be just over $100, if you can find it. As for other units in the $100 range; I liked the Sony MDR-7506 better than the HD-280. Plus, the MDR-7506 seems to have much higher build quality. The single most annoying thing about the 7506 IMO is a narrow dip at about 200Hz, as is seen in measurements. But I can tolerate this dip better than I can tolerate the resonance that I perceive in the HD-280.

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
the time it takes to remove one headphone and putting on the second one is too long for my acoustic memory.
Get a headphone jack multiplier, then all you need to do is switch cans on and off your ears.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis