Headphones for Sim Racing

A

ABuilder

Audiophyte
I built myself a home racing simulator recently and the headphones I have are not cutting it. I figure you all could guide me to a better setup then the other "gamers" could. You all know a lot more about sound and headphones after all. I don't care at all about lights and am fine doing a separate mic, so I'm defiantly not limiting myself to gaming headsets. Hoping you could at least point me in the right direction and keep me from falling off a dumb cliff. I'm sorry if some of my current knowledge is pretty lacking here.

One thing I know I want is a more open accurate sound stage. When a car is coming up from behind me, I want clearly be able to tell where it is and hear it go by on one side from behind to in front. This detail of where sounds are coming from is really one of the big things I am looking for in a nicer setup.

Another aspect of the sim racing is that you have a somewhat constant engine sound, with added details that ideally I could clearly separate such as a specific tire locking up and skidding, rocks flinging up by the tires, a spotter or voice chat and then I sometimes go and add music on top of it all. It is a bit different then most music listening but I don't know if that really matters in what headphones/DAC I should go with.

Also, go ahead an laugh but I get hot and sweaty in these longer races and comfort is going to be big. My current set gets real hot and starts sliding around but I don't think they are very well designed. I'm fine changing cups or whatever though if that is what is needed for a good set.

I was thinking that the gaming headsets probably were not that great and then I would be better off getting a good normal set of headphones and a DAC/Amp. These are going to be connected to a PC, if that matters.

Possible bonus points for a possible BT connection to my phone so I can take a call or whatever seamlessly. From what I'm seeing, that may not be a good option though.

Last time I came on here with a budget, you guys blew it. Just kidding, sort of. I guess I was looking to spend around $600 for the whole setup but I don't really have a good reason for that. Come on, I can take it. Tell me how stupid I am and then tell me what you think I should do. Thanks for the help and guidance.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Reading your description I would recommend Sennheiser HD598/HD599/HD600 depending on how much you want to spend for them. HD650 maybe as well if you prefer slightly darker and more bassy sound.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you want to check this fairly budget option first:

For wireless gaming here are some more recommendations:

ps: Fanatec 4TW

A

ABuilder

Audiophyte
Thanks guys, I really want to try out the various Sennheisers and was also looking at the Audeze LCD-1, Some Grado's if I can find them to try, HiFiMan Sundras, beyerdynamic 1990, 770 and MX300. Could you guys help me narrow or point out anything else you think I should check out?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I was surprised at how ATMOS outperformed the various surround sound headphones in the video below. Grado and Beyerdynamics have a long history for great audio and would be a good choice if you plan to also use them for music listening. If dedicated to your racing rig, Sennheiser may prove a more affordable option with more bang for the buck. Nothing will beat personal listening tests though.

I used to do a lot of sim racing with Grand Prix Legends, Nascar Racing 2003, and rFactor. Races could last a couple of hours and I would spend hours practicing, so comfort should be a big factor. Also consider weight and soundproofing from external noise. Some hifi headphones have open backs that do not block external noise as well but that depends upon your environment.

Last edited:
A

ABuilder

Audiophyte
Been doing more looking and am kind of focusing in on the HD600, the Sundras, the MMX300s or maybe the Drop Focal Elex. Bit of a stretch of the budget, but Drop options seems pretty cool to me. I just need to not completely blow the budget on go for some of those new HD8XXs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
can't go wrong with HD600. I own them and many other Senns - they are great.

A

ABuilder

Audiophyte
Seems like I missed my window on the HD6XX and they are now available for a couple months now. Think I still might order a set but I did buy a set of HiFiman Sundaras.

I got drawn to the Schiit Jotunheim 2. I'm not sure if I should get the optional True Multibit DAC or if I would be better off getting a separate Schiit Modius or something else. Any advice?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Seems like I missed my window on the HD6XX and they are now available for a couple months now. Think I still might order a set but I did buy a set of HiFiman Sundaras.

I got drawn to the Schiit Jotunheim 2. I'm not sure if I should get the optional True Multibit DAC or if I would be better off getting a separate Schiit Modius or something else. Any advice?
I think you should get the Schiit Hel with the Sundaras or HD6XX’s. This will be a massive jump over gaming headphones and if your ears aren’t trained you won’t know the difference, even experienced “audiophiles” would be hard pressed to notice a significant difference. Also the Schiit Hel can handle a dedicated microphone and do it well. Many people use it for semi professional podcasts, it’s definitely up to the task of top tier gaming.

A

ABuilder

Audiophyte
I think you should get the Schiit Hel with the Sundaras or HD6XX’s. This will be a massive jump over gaming headphones and if your ears aren’t trained you won’t know the difference, even experienced “audiophiles” would be hard pressed to notice a significant difference. Also the Schiit Hel can handle a dedicated microphone and do it well. Many people use it for semi professional podcasts, it’s definitely up to the task of top tier gaming.
I am starting to come around and see your wisdom. My initial urge to get a balance DAC/Amp is not really based off anything. Sounds like I may not really need balanced. I have stated to learn that I would rather spend more to buy one quality item now, then a string cheap good enough for now items, which has me on the fence a little here. But since I don't know much, I don't really know what I need and I probably went a little overkill while thinking that I wanted to avoid spending $100 or whatever on something that does not last me and ends up in a pile somewhere after I buy something to replace it. Still doing research and looking into this a bit more.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I am starting to come around and see your wisdom. My initial urge to get a balance DAC/Amp is not really based off anything. Sounds like I may not really need balanced. I have stated to learn that I would rather spend more to buy one quality item now, then a string cheap good enough for now items, which has me on the fence a little here. But since I don't know much, I don't really know what I need and I probably went a little overkill while thinking that I wanted to avoid spending $100 or whatever on something that does not last me and ends up in a pile somewhere after I buy something to replace it. Still doing research and looking into this a bit more.
The Schiit Hel and HD6XX’s are both great products and you would need to spend a small mountain of money to improve on them. Can you do better, absolutely! Unless you have a ridiculous amount of disposable income you probably shouldn’t bother.

Ahmed Sifat

Ahmed Sifat

Audiophyte
Thanks guys, I really want to try out the various Sennheisers and was also looking at the Audeze LCD-1, Some Grado's if I can find them to try, HiFiMan Sundras, beyerdynamic 1990, 770 and MX300. Could you guys help me narrow or point out anything else you think I should check out?
HarmonicDyne Zeus.. it has hi-res crisp sound clarity with low distortion and outstanding dynamic range. So ithink you can have a look at it also...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis