Headphones For Christmas!

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Japanese made Fostex t50rp planars costed me $75 on sale few years ago. Just saying.
Expensive is not necessarily good, but in headphones audio is crucial, but not everything. Fit, built quality and reliability are few to mention
And the T50rp's are almost worth $50. But they have been modified by various people to be quite excellent drivers, but for significantly more.

You know, I'm really leaning that way right now. Sennheiser HD600/650 would cost about twice as much, which is more than I'm willing to pay. I can't find any local B&M Beyerdynamic retailers and I'd rather not purchase something online that I haven't heard. And, the Grados don't look very comfortable.
I really have to recommend trying something at a low price-point. If you're interested in the HD600/650, there's always the closed-back HD-280 for about $100. It's a good place to start. Senns have a reputation for being 'veiled', which is a snarky way to say that the treble tends to be rolled-off. But they are non-fatiguing and easy to listen to.

Grado's can be a killer entry into headphones, and the SR-80e is getting a lot of good feedback. I have the older 225i's, and once I bent the headband out a little and started wearing them more forward on my ear, the comfort has not been an issue at all.

Headphones can be a strange and addicting part of this hobby, and as you go up in price the differences can be quite subtle. I highly recommend avoiding anything over $100 or so when starting out

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Last time i checked fostex t50 were 120. could you post a link please

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Last time i checked fostex t50 were 120. could you post a link please
No link possible. That was an editorial comment on the sound quality and value of an un-modded Fostex driver. I thought sarcasm was your first language... :p

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
And the T50rp's are almost worth $50. But they have been modified by various people to be quite excellent drivers, but for significantly more.

I really have to recommend trying something at a low price-point. If you're interested in the HD600/650, there's always the closed-back HD-280 for about $100. It's a good place to start. Senns have a reputation for being 'veiled', which is a snarky way to say that the treble tends to be rolled-off. But they are non-fatiguing and easy to listen to.

Grado's can be a killer entry into headphones, and the SR-80e is getting a lot of good feedback. I have the older 225i's, and once I bent the headband out a little and started wearing them more forward on my ear, the comfort has not been an issue at all.

Headphones can be a strange and addicting part of this hobby, and as you go up in price the differences can be quite subtle. I highly recommend avoiding anything over $100 or so when starting out
I appreciate the advice, believe me, but I have no intentions of starting a collection of headphones. I intend to buy one pair that will have to serve me for the foreseeable future. Looking at the FR of the HD280's at headphones.com, they look like quite the bass thumpers, which isn't quite what I'm after. I'd prefer something with good bass extension, but more neutral overall. That's why I'm primarily looking at open-back designs. The Q701's look like a sweet spot for price/SQ.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I appreciate the advice, believe me, but I have no intentions of starting a collection of headphones. I intend to buy one pair that will have to serve me for the foreseeable future. Looking at the FR of the HD280's at headphones.com, they look like quite the bass thumpers, which isn't quite what I'm after. I'd prefer something with good bass extension, but more neutral overall. That's why I'm primarily looking at open-back designs. The Q701's look like a sweet spot for price/SQ.
I've never heard them, but they seem to be highly regarded. Good choice!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I appreciate the advice, believe me, but I have no intentions of starting a collection of headphones. I intend to buy one pair that will have to serve me for the foreseeable future.
Ha, I doubt that in the long run

I'd prefer something with good bass extension, but more neutral overall.
Its like you're describing my akg k712 pro . Very neutral but with slight bass bump. (+3db)
Maybe out of your budget.
If you're interested you are welcome to visit and give them a listen.

No twister though !

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Ha, I doubt that in the long run

Its like you're describing my akg k712 pro . Very neutral but with slight bass bump. (+3db)
Maybe out of your budget.
If you're interested you are welcome to visit and give them a listen.

No twister though !
No Twister!? Pffft....forget it then!;):D
Yeah the 712's are a bit more than I'm willing to shell out.:oops:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have open back senns (HD 500 Fusion) and they've been my work horse since 2005. They are warm, mid bass favoring headphones but when you crank them near the limit they really "rock" if you know what I mean. The mid pushes through and treble comes energizing without being fatiguing.

I also have Shure E2Cs which needed the treble brought down a notch for my liking (treble reducer EQ on any i**** device) and they've been the best in ear.

I have Beyer Dynamic DT100s from Audio Engineering school which are very clean, but I don't have anything that can power them to a level that does them justice.

I would go for open back for the SQ and well.. openness. Also you should be able to audition most as your not sticking them into your ears.

SheepStar

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I listening to some Christmas music through the Q701's that I found under our tree this morning.:)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
OK, this morning I listened to these CD's:

http://www.amazon.ca/ALLEGRI-Miserere-Scholars-P-Tallis-Phillips/dp/B000B865AA/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419804090&sr=1-2&keywords=allegri+miserere

And

http://www.amazon.ca/Symphonie-Fantastique-Utah-Symphony-Kojian/dp/B00000156S/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419804517&sr=1-1&keywords=symphonie+fantastique+utah

Now, bear in mind that I don't have much experience with different headphones, so my opinion might not carry a lot of weight. That said, they sound great to me - I think I heard details in each of these recordings that I hadn't heard before. They seemed a little lighter in bass than my speakers/subs, but my subs are dialed in a bit hot. So, it may just be more accurate bass. Anyway, I'm quite happy with them!

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
I had the AKG K701...they were very YAWN. Maybe the Q's are better? The K701 needed a lot more amp than I have and that could be part of the issue. They were comfy though. But not my cup of tea. Grados for me (SR325i and RS1). I had the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros once too. They were very fun and comfortable headphones. I kinda regret selling them. I replaced them with some Fischer Audio FA-002W's which aren't bad. Not super great but they are nice looking with wood cups, comfortable, and just a decent everyday over the ear listening headphone. I know this is a mute since OP got his Q's....just thought I'd throw some stuff in there in case anyone else was reading this looking for options and info on headphones to get.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I just tried the included 3.5mm connector cable with my BlackBerry PlayBook and to my surprise, the tablet was able to drive these phones to a very good volume. One thing that I find a little annoying is that the 3.5mm cable is 20ft long, while the 1/4" cable is 10ft long - which is pretty much the opposite of what I'd prefer. The 1/4" is just long enough and the 3.5mm is excessive. And, the headphone end of the cable has a proprietary connector, so I don't think Monoprice will be much help.:rolleyes: That said, I can live with both cables.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis