Headphones, another change?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I've considered them, but since I didn't have anyway to listen to them first, I figured I'd avoid the Sennheiser sound. I'm definately loving the AKGs.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
nm2285 said:
Yeah that'd be great if you could do them. I only said anyone in case others were able to so as not to just bother you. I'm excited to see the results, because I do believe there's an emphasis on the bass now. However, since I haven't had them long nor have a second pair without blu-tac to compare, I can't be sure.
I'm not going to be able to do that measurement. I sold the headphone yesterday. I found an even better option(AKG K340) for high quality recordings, which was a pleasant suprise, considering all of the headphones I have tried in the past and failed to find a more satisfactory one. K340 is now my favorite(for high quality recordings). Check out this diagram of this unusual headphone:

-Chris

P.S.: If you only use them in a non-smoking environment, I'll loan you the compressed pads for you try out. I put new pads on the K501 when I sold it and kept the old ones. E-mail me if you are interested: wmax@linaeum.com

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Finally got around to performing the mod. They do sound wonderfully balanced. However, the soundstage does seem to have collapsed quite a bit. I may order a replacement set of pads from AKG and compare the two, see which tradeoff i prefer.

thanks for the suggestions though, I do love these headphones.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
nm2285 said:
Finally got around to performing the mod. They do sound wonderfully balanced. However, the soundstage does seem to have collapsed quite a bit. I may order a replacement set of pads from AKG and compare the two, see which tradeoff i prefer.

thanks for the suggestions though, I do love these headphones.

Sorry about the perception of collapsed soundfield. I don't tend to consider this with headphones, since I am a speaker user, and I just don't consider headphone soundstage to be very important. I probably should have mentioned that effect. I primarily consider tonality and detail when dealing with headphones except when extreme differences occur with soundfield[such as the K1000 with drivers angled on the hinges] compared to others. I suspect that the closer proximity the driver is to the ear opening[such as with the compressed pads], the less of a frequency response transform is performed by your ear structure, thus you lose even more spatial cues. I'll tell you what, I bet you could do the compression modification, but at an angle[using a little home made jig to ensure consistant modification on both channels] where the compressed part is to your front of head and non-compressed part is to the rear, and you could get the tonality smoothness and an expanded spatial effect. But I have not done this or measured it, so at this stage it's just an idea; take it for what it's worth. You might waste $18.00 on pads with this modification....

-Chris

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I use HD650s and AKG K1000s. I love the Sennheiser sound, but know that many people don't. Based on your description and your preference for ER6is, the Sony SA5000s might be up your alley. I found them to be too bright, but others find them to be neutral and extremely detailed. Many think they are the can equivalent of ER4Ps.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sleestack said:
I use HD650s and AKG K1000s. I love the Sennheiser sound, but know that many people don't. Based on your description and your preference for ER6is, the Sony SA5000s might be up your alley. I found them to be too bright, but others find them to be neutral and extremely detailed. Many think they are the can equivalent of ER4Ps.
I can't see how many people could find a SA5000 to approach the modified K501 for percieved tonal balance for good recordings, unless they simply liked the coloration of the SA5000, which is always a possibility. I actually prefer the modified K501 over the K1000[I spent several hours with this headphone since the last time I said anything about it because I was considering to purchase], but I do prefer a K1000 over an unmodified K501. If I had not compared with the modification, I would probably have a K1000 right now. Of course, I have since found a headpone[K340] that I like more than any other for good quality jazz, classical and other acoustic type recordings. :)

For the user here, I would definately recommend a K1000 over the SA5000, as it[K1000] will have most of the tonal attributes of the modified K501, but it will also have a superior[to any other headphone] spatial effect that is possible only with the K1000's hinged drivers. The user made a point about the spatial effect, so I am assuming that is an important consideration for that user.

-Chris

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
WmAx said:
I can't see how many people could find a SA5000 to approach the modified K501 for percieved tonal balance for good recordings, unless they simply liked the coloration of the SA5000, which is always a possibility. I actually prefer the modified K501 over the K1000[I spent several hours with this headphone since the last time I said anything about it because I was considering to purchase], but I do prefer a K1000 over an unmodified K501. If I had not compared with the modification, I would probably have a K1000 right now. Of course, I have since found a headpone[K340] that I like more than any other for good quality jazz, classical and other acoustic type recordings. :)

For the user here, I would definately recommend a K1000 over the SA5000, as it[K1000] will have most of the tonal attributes of the modified K501, but it will also have a superior[to any other headphone] spatial effect that is possible only with the K1000's hinged drivers. The user made a point about the spatial effect, so I am assuming that is an important consideration for that user.

-Chris
Don't get me wrong... I hate the SA5000s. I kept them for 2 days and sold them for a 40% loss just b/c I didn't want them in my sight. I'm not too fond of my ER4Ps either. I just find that many ER4P users seem to like SA5000s... especially those that don't like Sennheisers. I love my K1000s. I'm pairing them with an EAR V20, but I only spend about 5% of my listening time under headphones.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sleestack said:
Don't get me wrong... I hate the SA5000s. I kept them for 2 days and sold them for a 40% loss just b/c I didn't want them in my sight.
Haha. That's funny. I guess if I had bought them, I would have hated them as well, but fortunately I used someone else's SA5000, so I did not trade cash for that device. I'll stick to simple dislike of the SA5000. :)

I'm not too fond of my ER4Ps either. I just find that many ER4P users seem to like SA5000s... especially those that don't like Sennheisers. I love my K1000s. I'm pairing them with an EAR V20, but I only spend about 5% of my listening time under headphones.
I can't comment on the ER4P; I can't stand anything that goes into my ears, so I won't even try them. Personally, I don't like Sennheiser headphones[I have used and base this comment on the HE60, HD580, HD600, HD650 and HD280], but I also don't like that SA5000 headphone. Since the user seems to very much enjoy the K501 midrange, I'de be very suprised if he liked the midrange of the SA5000; IMO the SA5000 is vastly inferior to the modified K501 -- but that's just my opinon. :)

-Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
MDR-7506...what what. With the proper EQ curve (or the best that I can do without getting a super nice program for my comp or an outboard unit), they sound excellent.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Glad to hear you've found a headphone you really enjoy. What about the k340 do you prefer to the k501 and/or k1000?

Soundstage isn't the biggest deal with me (as I also am primarily a speaker user) so I probably won't replace the pads. The k340's are closed headphones, correct?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
nm2285 said:
Glad to hear you've found a headphone you really enjoy. What about the k340 do you prefer to the k501 and/or k1000?
The upper midrange[starting around 4-5kHz] smoothly curves downward, then the treble, so that the sound is extremely natural sounding. I think that people might be able to describe the headphone as 'dark' sounding, if forced to make a subjective call. The midbass/bass is also quite nice, with no deficient level, as is found on the K501. The midbass was actually a little bit too strong at first, but I bent the headband out a small amount to reduce the effectiveness of the seal on my head. The percieved natural tonality for high quality recording, on the K340, is simply the best I've used to this date. Let's just say that, in comparison, even the modified K501 midrange is not nearly as natural sounding, according to my preferences. However, the modified CD3000 remains my no. 1 choice for modern rock, pop, electronic music. The characteristic that makes the K340 so nice for acoustic recordings, works against it for the genres I just listed, which depend on alot of treble energy. One thing to consider with the K340, as with the K1000, is that you need relatively high voltage output from the amplifier. Not suited for portable use based on the current available portable amps, unless you use a bulky set-up involving a seperate battery pack to have a sufficiently high supply voltage.

Soundstage isn't the biggest deal with me (as I also am primarily a speaker user) so I probably won't replace the pads. The k340's are closed headphones, correct?
The K340 is what I would call semi-closed. It has an open gap that serves as a breach, but offers better isolation than an open headphone. Basicly, external frequencies in the upper midrange and treble are somewhat attenuated, but midrange and bass frequencies are not blocked at all. The K340 is less comfortable than the K501; this should also be considered.

-Chris

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
I haven't done much AKG listening. The ones I've used were some cheap studiophones and I thought they sounded like garbage. I'd like to try those hyrbrids someday, they look interesting.

I got the 7506s because I needed some new headphones and wanted something I could do some recording with. Seeing how they are THE reference in the professional world, I thought it was the perfect set, especially for $100.
I'll admit, I've never listened to the cheap AKG headphones: I don't know what they sound like.

The 7506, indeed, is one of the, if not THE most accurate[regardless of price] headphone for monitoring purposes, of which I am aware[based on my live feed comparisons using flat response microphones and based on accounts of the same by Dunlavy]. But it is not a headphone that I prefer for musical enjoyment, compared to other choices. I consider the MDR-7506 to be a tool, where as I consider the K340 and CD3000 to be entertainment devices. :)

-Chris

J

jimmygreen

Audioholic Intern
Ok, I have been reading about the Sony V6/7506 and I looked for a good deal. My understanding is that they are basically the same.

Any suggestions on where to pick them up at a good price or did I overlook it?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you want a good monitoring headphone, you can't beat the V6/7506. You can pick them up for $100 at Guitar Center/Musicians Friend. I bought mine from Guitar Center with their extended replacement warranty and it came to $120 exactly (with Michigan's 6% sales tax).

J

jimmygreen

Audioholic Intern
I hope that I am not hijacking this thread. I will be making a purchase soon. I am watching Ebay for an auction to end.

I am on a deployment right now and I spend most of my time with headphones on trying to pass the time.

The 7506's seem very reasonable for my situation without spending more to bump to the next level. Jaxvon, thanks for helping a newbie with the advice. ;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No prob, WmAx was the one that pointed me in the direction of the 7506s. They're great if you're trying to shut out the world. For non-in-ear phones, they isolate really well.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
The MDR-V6's were my first really decent pair of headphones, and they are really accurate as far as tonal response, which makes them great for monitoring.

If you don't need monitoring headphones, there are certainly more enjoyable headphones to be had. I found the V6's to be a bit muddy/murky sounding in the mid-upper midrange, and the bass to be a bit tubby. I'd prefer the Senn 280Pros or the more expensive HD-25-1's as far as closed headphones (laid back vs high-impact)

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Interesting comments! I find the sound of the HD280s to be quite nice too. As WmAx can tell you, I go through phases when I prefer the HD280s or the V6s (I have both). On direct comparison, WmAx preferred the V6s. The HD280s are certainly a little tamer in the highs, which is not a bad thing at all for pleasure listening. The HD280s isolate much better than the V6s too. The V6s might be more dead-on accurate though, and they are more durable, and I find them more comfortable, and it's certainly a classic as far as headphones go. I don't hear muddy/murky midrange & tubby bass in the V6s, but that's a subjective judgment and there's really no arguing over it. Both the HD280s and the V6s are outstanding bargains, IMHO. :)

I've given the Senn HD-25-1s a brief listen. They have remarkable sound and isolation for their size, but for sound alone I am not sure they have anything over the HD280s or V6s. :cool:

warpdrive said:
The MDR-V6's were my first really decent pair of headphones, and they are really accurate as far as tonal response, which makes them great for monitoring.

If you don't need monitoring headphones, there are certainly more enjoyable headphones to be had. I found the V6's to be a bit muddy/murky sounding in the mid-upper midrange, and the bass to be a bit tubby. I'd prefer the Senn 280Pros or the more expensive HD-25-1's as far as closed headphones (laid back vs high-impact)

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
AKG's new K701

I've been enjoying my Beyer DT880's I bought over the summer, and they are indeed my favorite headphone now after I listened to all of the Sennheisers, AKG, and Grados. The Beyers are slightly bright, but it does everything else so right, it's got everything I want, and it's never harsh when paired with a good quality source.

But I was wondering if I could do one better, so I preordered AKG's new K701 flagship (the K1000 is being discontinued).

I was looking for something like K501's silky mids but with better bass depth, and these new AKG's sound like they are the ones going by all initial reports. If not, the dealer (headphone.com) has a money back guarantee.

They look beautifully constructed, and I hope these will be the cat's meow.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
warpdrive said:
I've been enjoying my Beyer DT880's I bought over the summer, and they are indeed my favorite headphone now after I listened to all of the Sennheisers, AKG, and Grados. The Beyers are slightly bright, but it does everything else so right, it's got everything I want, and it's never harsh when paired with a good quality source.
Your favorite, huh? :) I just ordered a pair of DT880 as of last night. I have used them before, and have already made my impressions of this known elsewhere in this thread, but desipite this I decided that it would make an excellent headphone for my computer usage, considering the overall nuetral balance and excellent comfort factor.

But I was wondering if I could do one better, so I preordered AKG's new K701 flagship (the K1000 is being discontinued).
I was wondering about the K701 for myself. Please take the time to describe the relative tonal differences you percieve when compared directly to the K501 and DT880.

Slightly OT: If I did buy a K701 and it met my demanding preferences, I would probably have to paint it -- not something I would normally consider -- but the solid metallic-like white color on the K701 headphone is repulsive to me, at least in the pictures published online that I have seen up to this point.

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis