Headphones, another change?

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Sennheiser HD 650 and the AKG K701. Both are about $318. I wish I could find some place that had them both. I might just get whatever I find on eBay for less.

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
Just curious why it seems so many don't like the Grado sound. I just got back from a couple hours of auditioning today mainly AKG's (171, 271, 501 and the grado line (SR60 through SR325i). I thought the 501's sounded rather tiny. I'm leaning towards the 325i's. Just curious thats all.

I did spend about 20 min. with the Senns (HD580, 600, & 650). They were okay, but I didn't think they delivered as full a sound as the grados. I will admit that I wanted to switch between the flat and bowl pads depending on what I was listening to with the Grados. Hope this is still within topic.

Edit: I should mention that I've been using Shure E3c's as my primary headphones for the past year and a half. Though I did manage to blow the drivers and have to send them back under warranty this week.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Doing a side-by-side comparison is tricky because different cans respond to different amps. Some of the Grados are probably easier to drive with relatively weak power (a receiver with a cheapo headphone jack, straight from a computer, portable players). I auditioned the 225 (they didn't have any higher), and I was put off by the discomfort of the pads. They have a distinct sound signature, and some people love 'em, some don't. I didn't.

I ended up with the AKG K701, and I can hear how they would seem subdued from a weak source. You have to turn it up louder. I'm currently researching whether the HK AVR 645 will have a decent headphone amp in 'em, or if I need to get a separate headphone amp. If I were to use them more with players and computers, I'd have opted for the $90 Sony MDR-7506.

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
Fastnbulbous said:
Doing a side-by-side comparison is tricky because different cans respond to different amps. Some of the Grados are probably easier to drive with relatively weak power (a receiver with a cheapo headphone jack, straight from a computer, portable players). I auditioned the 225 (they didn't have any higher), and I was put off by the discomfort of the pads. They have a distinct sound signature, and some people love 'em, some don't. I didn't.

I ended up with the AKG K701, and I can hear how they would seem subdued from a weak source. You have to turn it up louder. I'm currently researching whether the HK AVR 645 will have a decent headphone amp in 'em, or if I need to get a separate headphone amp. If I were to use them more with players and computers, I'd have opted for the $90 Sony MDR-7506.

I agree with the necesity of a head phone amp. I auditioned with just my iPod mini and I could tell that the AkG needed substantially more power even at full volume. That was one of the reasons I was pleased with the Grado's there ability to be driven from portable devices, which for me is a bonus. Now if I only had $350 to drop on the 325i's and accessories. I do prefer the flat pads to the bowls, I though they provided better response on the low end with out mudding things up. I believe I saw where someone had switched out the headband on the Grado's, does anybody know if this is a common mod, and how easy it is on these or other phones?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
For questions on mods and stuff, go to www.headfi.org . Not always the most reliable for some info (lots of snake oil), but they're very active and will be able to help with your headband question.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis