Headphone Recommendations?

Matt34

Matt34

If you want to yell at someone without upsetting your gaming, you need a headset. However, you are limited to the gaming oriented headphones (IE: They won't sound as good as the V6 or similar non headset style headphones).

SheepStar
Yeah, knocking your mic over in a fit of rage is embarrassing.

:p

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You know, it's not hard to DIY a mic to an existing headphone. Heck, I can take a MDR-7506 and install a mic on it for you, with professional looking results, if you are nervous about doing it.

-Chris
For reference, B&H sells an MDR-7506 with boom mic for $235.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Decisions

Well, decisions to make it seems. I've heard excellent things about the Medusa 5.1.headset. Take a look here: http://gear.ign.com/articles/793/793289p1.html

On the other hand, the MDR-7506 looks great for the price, so I'm tempted to get it and just use my existing mic. I'm not much of a DIY'er so probably not going to try to attach a mic to it. I'm kinda torn here b/c the 5.1 of the Medusa would be nice for online gaming. What's the better way to go??

Soundman

Soundman

Well, decisions to make it seems. I've heard excellent things about the Medusa 5.1.headset. Take a look here: http://gear.ign.com/articles/793/793289p1.html

On the other hand, the MDR-7506 looks great for the price, so I'm tempted to get it and just use my existing mic. I'm not much of a DIY'er so probably not going to try to attach a mic to it. I'm kinda torn here b/c the 5.1 of the Medusa would be nice for online gaming. What's the better way to go??
The reason I asked is if it would be better to have a 5.1 headset for games and the added convenience of the mic which has been rated a pretty good one. Or stick with the Sony and get a really good 2-channel set and make do with my current microphone on my desk. Price isn't a major consideration since both of these models are close to th same price. What would you do? :confused:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I would get the Sony cans, as I have found most gaming-oriented sound products to be horrible sounding. I have found the MDR-7506 to be quite good for gaming purposes, as well as its original purpose, monitoring. Add in its rugged construction and I feel it is a winner (but I own a pair so...). If you do decide to go the Sony route, I would highly recommend you go with the MDR-V6 (NOT V600), as it is identical to the MDR-7506 in construction aside from the stickers, the name, and the plating on the plug. And you pay around $75 for them shipped from Amazon.

Soundman

Soundman

I would get the Sony cans, as I have found most gaming-oriented sound products to be horrible sounding. I have found the MDR-7506 to be quite good for gaming purposes, as well as its original purpose, monitoring. Add in its rugged construction and I feel it is a winner (but I own a pair so...). If you do decide to go the Sony route, I would highly recommend you go with the MDR-V6 (NOT V600), as it is identical to the MDR-7506 in construction aside from the stickers, the name, and the plating on the plug. And you pay around $75 for them shipped from Amazon.
How do you know they are identical? Why is there a price difference if this is true? :confused:

Soundman

Soundman

I just checked Amazon for the Sony's and found something interesting:

the V6's are currently only $5 less then the 7506's. What's the deal here?

Soundman

Soundman

Decision Update

Let me explain...First, I want to say thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. I finally decided to just pull the trigger on these phones, the MDR-7506's . I figured I can't really go wrong with a product that is tried and true. Despite all the great reviews and opinions of many other products in this price range, I've found so much information on these guys from both professionals as well as consumers. It just seemed like the safest bet. If needed, I can always update my existing microphone. Also, I have the added benefit of using these cans with my MP3 player if needed. It wasn't the purpose of this purchase, but it's nice to know I could If I needed to. I placed an order on Amazon last night. Thanks for everyone's input! :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
How do you know they are identical? Why is there a price difference if this is true? :confused:
I can assure you that they are identical. The differences are:

(1) Different cord/plug: the plug is nickel on the V6; black and gold on the 7506.

(2) Different outer enclosure covers: these covers have the model numbers molded to them.

(3) Different color marketing stickers.

I used to have access to a parts data base, and besides the cord/plug and outer enclosure cover, all other part numbers were identical in cross reference.

The headphones are a different price because they are marketed to different market sectors and distributed by two distinctly different branches of Sony. The 7506 is distributed by Sony Professional while the V6 is distributed by Sony's consumer branch. The 7506 also has a better warranty and it has parts readily available for it from Sony Professional.

-Chris

Soundman

Soundman

I can assure you that they are identical. The differences are:

(1) Different cord/plug: the plug is nickel on the V6; black and gold on the 7506.

(2) Different outer enclosure covers: these covers have the model numbers molded to them.

(3) Different color marketing stickers.

I used to have access to a parts data base, and besides the cord/plug and outer enclosure cover, all other part numbers were identical in cross reference.

The headphones are a different price because they are marketed to different market sectors and distributed by two distinctly different branches of Sony. The 7506 is distributed by Sony Professional while the V6 is distributed by Sony's consumer branch. The 7506 also has a better warranty and it has parts readily available for it from Sony Professional.

-Chris
Thanks for clarifying, Chris. Good info. I went ahead and ordered the 7506. I think it's worth the extra 20 bucks for the better warranty, knowing there are parts for it readily available, and I just like the way it looks better. Thanks again for the help. :)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Has anyone heard the 7509? How does it compare to the 7506? Is it just as accurate?

Soundman

Soundman

Has anyone heard the 7509? How does it compare to the 7506? Is it just as accurate?
Not sure about that one. They are priced considerably higher then the 7506's, so I have my doubts about them being as good of a value.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
A larger driver usually gives you deeper and cleaner bass.:)

Not sure about that one. They are priced considerably higher then the 7506's, so I have my doubts about them being as good of a value.

Soundman

Soundman

I'm sure they are, but I question whether they are 2.5-3 times as good. Maybe they are though. I just haven't heard that much about them. It would be interesting to see a review on them.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The 7506 can provide distortion free bass to SPL levels that exceed safe limits. There really is no need for 'more' bass than the 7506 can provide. As for sound quality of that bass - it is of low distortion - and since this is strictly a minimum phase system at these frequencies - the only other aspect is the specific frequency response plot shape - which can be adjusted with a precision equalizer if such a device is available/practical.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I doubt it's as accurate, from a monitoring use standpoint. However, it might have a more pleasing sound? I don't know.

The Sony MDR-CD900ST is my favorite for general purpose portable listening use. It has a slightly enhanced lower mid/low range (warmth) and a very smooth midband(flat) and a rolled off treble range(many might not like this characteristic). Relative to my perception, it is one of the most realistic sounding headphones I know of for classical music of all types(opera, chamber, symphony, solo), even compared to super expensive units like the Sennheiser HE90(Orpheus). Consider that I judge as accurately as possible, side by side, using purist recordings, and I have regular experience as an audience member at non-amplified events. The treble roll off is not ideal for most pop/rock music, though.

-Chris

Soundman

Soundman

I doubt it's as accurate, from a monitoring use standpoint. However, it might have a more pleasing sound? I don't know.

The Sony MDR-CD900ST is my favorite for general purpose portable listening use. It has a slightly enhanced lower mid/low range (warmth) and a very smooth midband(flat) and a rolled off treble range(many might not like this characteristic). Relative to my perception, it is one of the most realistic sounding headphones I know of for classical music of all types(opera, chamber, symphony, solo), even compared to super expensive units like the Sennheiser HE90(Orpheus). Consider that I judge as accurately as possible, side by side, using purist recordings, and I have regular experience as an audience member at non-amplified events. The treble roll off is not ideal for most pop/rock music, though.

-Chris
Good information. I'm sure there are advantages to these higher priced models, but I still think I got a good deal on the 7506's, considering the other models are at least twice the price, if not more. It will be used mainly for PC gaming so I think they'll get the job done. I'll try to do an update once I receive them. :)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks Chris for the info.

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis