Headphone Recommendations?

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey, just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any recommendations for some decent headphones that would work well with my PC. Here's the situation: My son goes to bed early and many times I'm up late on the computer. The sound level at times drives my wife crazy and I am forced to keep the volume down low in an effort to keep the peace. The headphones would be primarily used for gaming, but also for occasional music, muti-media functions, etc. I have also considered a headset since I use voice enabled features in certain online games, so a good headset with decent SQ may work as well. Currently, I'm using a microphone for this purpose. I don't have a lot of experience with headphones, but any recommendations would be very helpful. I must do somthing soon or things may get ugly. Please help! :eek:

F

Funkmonkey

Junior Audioholic
If you really want good headphones I would ask your question over at headfi.org lots of great info there. I use a pair of Yuin PK2 earbuds for ipod/computer stuff and they are quite good, and still allow me to hear what is going on around me, no mic though...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If you really want good headphones I would ask your question over at headfi.org lots of great info there. I use a pair of Yuin PK2 earbuds for ipod/computer stuff and they are quite good, and still allow me to hear what is going on around me, no mic though...
I've heard that Headfi is full of Headcases. I would not rely on them for input.

SheepStar

R

roshi

Audioholic
I'm not sure about gaming, but if you want good headphones for Music, etc. the Sony MDR-7506 are absolutely awesome. They are pretty standard in many recording studios. They will cost you around 100$, but they are well worth it.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I agree with Sheep. That place scares the hell out of me. I thought Audio Asylum was bad. Head Fi takes the cake.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Get the Sony MDR-V6 from Amazon. They are the same thing as the MDR-7506, just less expensive with red stickers instead of blue. They can be had on Amazon for about $75 shipped. In my opinion, they are the highest value headphone when your goal is high fidelity reproduction.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I've heard that Headfi is full of Headcases. I would not rely on them for input.

SheepStar
HeadFi is just like any other forum. They have their share of meatballs, but also some very knowledgeable members.

Also check out this website.

www.headphone.com

Matt34

Matt34

Get the Sony MDR-V6 from Amazon. They are the same thing as the MDR-7506, just less expensive with red stickers instead of blue. They can be had on Amazon for about $75 shipped. In my opinion, they are the highest value headphone when your goal is high fidelity reproduction.

I bought the V6 due to the recommendations here and they are by far the best headphones I've had to date.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
look at the Sennheiser line

Sennheiser makes some exceelnt headphones including a nice wireless model which you can plug into steroe and PC and listen wherever ( within distance limits of about 100ft0 you want.

See this web link: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/

Also, go to a store and try different models of headphones. Make sure what you choose feels comfortable to you.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sennheiser HD 280's do a pretty good job of rocking your head and keeping the noise from leaking outside.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I bought a pair of Medusa 5.1 headphones and was quite happy with them back when I use to game regularly. Good directional sound, and I was told that the microphone did an excellent job. I don't know how they compare to other gaming sets, but I think that they are comfortable. If they still come with comparable hardware as when I bought a pair, they seemed like a good deal at around $100-$130.

Soundman

Soundman

Thanks

Wow! Lots of great responses. Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Looks like alot of great choices. I'll take a look at them all. This is definitely a great starting point. I'll report back once I decide. Thanks again. :)

Soundman

Soundman

Headset

OK, so I've decided to go with a headset instead of regular headphones since I'll be using it mostly for games. Any more recommendations??? :confused:

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Newegg has a great deal for a Creative X-Fi Elite sound card + gaming headset for $80 shipped after MIR. I jumped on it about 2 weeks ago.

The card is the one from the $300 package that includes the break-out box, etc. and the headset I believe, retails for about $50. All in all, I thought it was a steal.

Soundman

Soundman

OK, so I've decided to go with a headset instead of regular headphones since I'll be using it mostly for games. Any more recommendations??? :confused:
Of course now that I'm thinking about it...Since I already have a microphone, am I better off just getting headphones? Would there be improved SQ, and if so, is it worth the tradeoff of the convenience of a headset? I don't have alot of experience in this area so still throwing around some ideas.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Of course now that I'm thinking about it...Since I already have a microphone, am I better off just getting headphones? Would there be improved SQ, and if so, is it worth the tradeoff of the convenience of a headset? I don't have alot of experience in this area so still throwing around some ideas.
You know, it's not hard to DIY a mic to an existing headphone. Heck, I can take a MDR-7506 and install a mic on it for you, with professional looking results, if you are nervous about doing it.

-Chris

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If you want to yell at someone without upsetting your gaming, you need a headset. However, you are limited to the gaming oriented headphones (IE: They won't sound as good as the V6 or similar non headset style headphones).

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis