res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
I love HDTV's... their performance compared to a standard analog set is just amazing...

BUT there is nothing I hate more than the lag you experience while trying to play games like Guitar Hero...

I have a PS2 hooked up via the composite phono cables... the TV then sends the audio to my receiver, which allows me to either listen/play using the speakers or my headphones...

No matter how many times I calibrate the lag, it still yields the same results (results being, I CAN'T PLAY THE GAME BECAUSE THE NOTES DON'T SYNC CORRECTLY)...

What is a man to do?!

Last time I ran the calibration settings, the Audio remained at 0 and the Video was set to 79 (ms)...

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
OP,

Is your HDTV CRT, LCD, or DLP technology? Assuming it's NOT CRT (which tends no to have this problem, if I remember correctly):

Unless your TV has a "Game Mode," you're probably going to have a problem. Your PS2 is outputting a signal at 480i (maybe a few titles do 480p?), and your HDTV has a fixed pixel display of either 720p or 1080p (vertically aligned pixels). The problem comes from the fact that your TV has to scale the image, which necessarily takes time. Only a few ms, but enough to make games like Guitar Hero very difficult to play.

Most modern consoles have the option to scale the signal to whatever the resolution of your TV (except the Wii). This cuts down on the problem considerably.

If your HDTV is older, you're stuck unless you purchase a current-generation console (which you should, because they're awesome). Older (especially DLP) HDTVs had crippling lag. Newer HDTVs are much better about this.

Xbox 360 FTW!

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
OP,

Is your HDTV CRT, LCD, or DLP technology? Assuming it's NOT CRT (which tends no to have this problem, if I remember correctly):

Unless your TV has a "Game Mode," you're probably going to have a problem. Your PS2 is outputting a signal at 480i (maybe a few titles do 480p?), and your HDTV has a fixed pixel display of either 720p or 1080p (vertically aligned pixels). The problem comes from the fact that your TV has to scale the image, which necessarily takes time. Only a few ms, but enough to make games like Guitar Hero very difficult to play.

Most modern consoles have the option to scale the signal to whatever the resolution of your TV (except the Wii). This cuts down on the problem considerably.

If your HDTV is older, you're stuck unless you purchase a current-generation console (which you should, because they're awesome). Older (especially DLP) HDTVs had crippling lag. Newer HDTVs are much better about this.

Xbox 360 FTW!
It's an LCD HDTV... and I do believe I know what you are talking about... I have a few different "Video" modes - Stretch, Full Screen, etc... I shall try those out right away. Thanks for the suggestiong... (I didn't have a "game" option"... This television isn't too old either, it was purchased just last Christmas :)

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Alright!!! My TV was initially displaying the PS2 on "Side Stretch" mode...

I switched it to the default "Side Bar" mode (4:3 aspect ratio)... didn't work too great after that... BUT I went in and re-calibrated my screen...

100% Notes hit on Today (Expert)
90% Notes hit on Purple Haze (Expert)

That's a little bit closer to my original scores :D

Thanks a lot you guys!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis