HDMI Pre/Pro's suggestions...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Aside from the Anthem D2, what else is out there that offers what the D2 does... Anything on the horizon that I missed? Anything new on the forefront that will do Upscaling to 1080p... with HDMI 1.3

Looking for something that would be priced less then an Anthem D2.
And they still haven't started the upgrading AVM series yet..

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Don't know what price level your considering, but we may want to keep an eye out for what's coming from Sherwood Newcastle. Their upcoming receivers will be feature packed to compete with the big boys. Hopefully, they're doing similar upgrades to their pre/pro. Sherwood Newcastle R-972

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I would even be somewhat happy spending up to $3K if it came down to it... but I really didn't want to buy another Receiver with amp, as I have a dedicated Rotel 1095 200x5.

I wish Rotel would come out with something like their RSP-1098 that would have HDMI but I know they usually take their time getting products to market waiting for standards to level off...

I did see that Sherwood, and it looks promising, but a dedicated Processor is the way I would rather go... I like what the Anthem has to offer, but the Price is off the charts, even for me... I guess I was looking for new news on products that I haven't seen yet... but there isn't any that haven't been covered.. eh.
:mad:

Any other ideas are certainly welcome...

M

mdrew

Audioholic
No, I don't believe there are....

There are several Pre/Pro’s with HDMI, but only a couple that do any audio processing of that input.

What are looking for? Do you just want a switcher or do you also want HDMI audio processing, or HMDI audio and video processing?

Halcro has a couple that processes both Video and Audio. Their Video processing is a joke….and they start at $6500.

Anthem has the AMV 40, 50 and D2. The 40 has full audio processing and no video. The 50 and D2 have both. Neither D2 or 50 process discrete 6 or 7 channel LPCM. They will matrix from 5.1, which isn’t a bad trade off seeing how there’s only two or three BR disks out that have discrete 6.1 LPCM tracks and there are zero HD/DVD’s out with more than 5.1. But if you are a gamer, I’d expect to see numerous BR and HD games coming out with 7.1.

The NAD M15 has HDMI, but limited video processing, and no audio processing (just switching).

Lexicon MC12 has HMDI switching. No audio processing.

I know of no other Pre / Pro’s that perform Audio processing (and I’ve looked).

For now I’m using a receiver until more Pre / Pro’s hit the streets with HDMI audio processing. You could pick up a simple receiver with pre-outs and use it as a pre / pro for the time being. The least expensive one with full 7.1 LPCM processing and pre-outs is the Yamaha RX-V661.

The new Denon seperates look like they may be what you are looking for. I have no idea when they will become available though.

R

rws1950

Enthusiast
You can always use your display for video switching, or go with a video switcher & use the digital audio outs from and to your component. That way, future upgrades to hdmi 1. whatever will not mean trashing your component for the right video connections. I use hdmi out of my dvd and sat. to the TV, and digital inputs between the components for sound.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I also am using an inexpensive receiver (Pioneer Elite 81) for switching and HDMI out to my Plasma. Currently it works fine, but I will be moving towards true seperates. I will be taking this receiver out of the loop and into another setup elsewhere in the house....

I don't have a 1080p plasma just yet, so Im not really interested in video processing, mostly audio... but I guess as things play out, I will be moving into getting a 65" 1080p plasma maybe in a couple of years, so maybe I should just hold my jets until things play out further....

I guess we all just sit in limbo until the Pre/Pro gods release more HDMI products.. Maybe Im just impatient, but I wasn't all that interested in dropping my kids college fund on a pre/pro like the Anthem D2, as nice as it is... :cool:

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
HDMI pre/pros?

There is only 2 other choices on the market:

1) Lexicon MC-12HD: doesn't pass 1080p (unbelievable!), and no video processing of 1080p/p24/1080p60. So you have to buy a high-end external scaler to get the same quality video processing you get with the D2. So MC-12HD + Crystalio II = 3 times the price of the D2, for the SAME video processing and picture quality, but debatable sonic advantages... "Limited" to 5.1 just like the D2/AVM50 btw.

2) Halcro SSP100: video processing is a joke, and after more then 1 year on the market, it's still lacking multi-ch LPCM through HDMI 1.1 support (limited to 2 channels only over HDMI). So if you buy it to use it with a Blu-ray or HD DVD player, then the crippled HDMI connection is not usable...

So the D2/AVM50 is alone up there for now. That's why the back-log is so huge, and Anthem can't build them fast enough to fill the demand... Demand is sky-high for a reason... The D2/AVM50 is a true break-through product.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Levesque....

I have been following (or should I say drooling over) the thread over at AVS the whole time, and don't get me wrong, the D2 is a beautiful, feature laiden Pre/Pro for the money...
I am not in the position to be buying one anytime soon, and Im not even running 1080p yet, so the added benefit of the video processing wouldn't be worth it for me at this time... When the time comes, I will be upgrading my 50" 1080i Panny plasma, to whatever is out on the market at the time... Probably Pioneer 65" 1080p, seeing as I can get them at wholesale now, by then the prices should be coming way down...

Thanks for the very informative reply, its exactly the info that I was looking for.

Warp

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI Pre/Pro

Emotiva is scheduled to come out with updates to all of their pre/pros including HDMI 1.3 by early next year. They should be in the $1-2k price range. If you want something sooner, your best bet is a receiver with a good pre-amp stage.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva is scheduled to come out with updates to all of their pre/pros including HDMI 1.3 by early next year. They should be in the $1-2k price range. If you want something sooner, your best bet is a receiver with a good pre-amp stage.
Yeah buddy, thats what Im running now...

Rotel RMB-1095 'n Pioneer Elite 81

Works fine for now, but you know our kind... maybe Im just a touch impatient.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis