P

Pryso

Audiophyte
No, not comparing cheap to expensive. But is there any way to identify 2.0 from 1.0 if it is not labeled as such?

I have a HDMI cable purchased 3-4 years ago but it is not labeled so I don't know which it might be. I've ordered a new UHD Blu-ray player and I'm not sure my cable will be appropriate.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
No, not comparing cheap to expensive. But is there any way to identify 2.0 from 1.0 if it is not labeled as such?

I have a HDMI cable purchased 3-4 years ago but it is not labeled so I don't know which it might be. I've ordered a new UHD Blu-ray player and I'm not sure my cable will be appropriate.
Are you using a 4K tv? HDMI 2.0 has been out for quite some time so I would assume it would be 2.0. HDMI 1.4 was previous model. Your tv should tell you what you have in the settings. If you don’t see it outputting a 4K signal you most likely have hdmi 1.4 cable.

P

Pryso

Audiophyte
Are you using a 4K tv? HDMI 2.0 has been out for quite some time so I would assume it would be 2.0. HDMI 1.4 was previous model. Your tv should tell you what you have in the settings. If you don’t see it outputting a 4K signal you most likely have hdmi 1.4 cable.
Thanks. I'll see if my 4K Samsung TV identifies the cable. Didn't think of that. Then of course I can just try existing HDMI with the new UHD player when hooked up.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thanks. I'll see if my 4K Samsung TV identifies the cable. Didn't think of that. Then of course I can just try existing HDMI with the new UHD player when hooked up.
Yeah, either or will tell you the output.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

With a UHD player, make sure cable is at least 18gbps, older 10gbps cable will not cut it. On the Samsung TV, make sure UHD Color setting is on or it won't matter anyway and you will not get HDR.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...I'll see if my 4K Samsung TV identifies the cable.
TVs will not do this.

Either video will pass, or it will not. To test the bandwidth capability of a HDMI cable, you actually need a HDMI cable tester, which isn't a cheap product.

Cables themselves are passive (typically) pieces of copper wiring. So, they can't identify themselves for anything. They just pass signal through them. Once the signal takes up to much bandwidth, the signal doesn't make it to the end point properly and you will lose the image.

Newer cables are almost all rated to 18Gb/s transmission rates, which is the standard for HDMI 2.0. Some of the newest are rated beyond 18Gb/s and may go to 48Gb/s which is the standard for HDMI 2.1.

If you are at 6' or less on HDMI cables, you can get HDMI 2.0 rated 18Gb/s cables for well under 10 bucks each from Monoprice and on Amazon. Get a slim cable, call it a day, enjoy.

P

Pryso

Audiophyte
Thanks for the more complete explanation BMXTRIX. I got the new Panasonic B-r DVD player Monday and connected it using my existing HDMI. Everything appears to be working fine so no need for new cable.

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
If the cable is inadequate, what would the effect? No signal, or just poor signal?

P

Pryso

Audiophyte
MTVhike, from other responses it is go or no go. Either it will work or not.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting tidbit:
The newest receivers from Denon with the somewhat lacking 2.1 40Gb/s chip in it, does include the ability to test HDMI cables. This is a new feature that I hadn't heard of before. But, you can plug the output into an input and actually have the receiver test the connection and confirm the cable properly tests up to the full 40Gb/s that the receiver can handle.

That is a rather amazing feature to build into a receiver. Not sure if Yamaha offers this, or will at some point. They often do match features.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis