HDMI 2.1 Chipset Bug in AV Receivers Causing Gaming Problems

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
There are a lot of people wanting some clarification on what's going on with the state of HDMI 2.1
Here is a clarification from Yamaha:

Question posed:
"I'm looking at the RX-A8, but cannot find out how many of its 7 HDMI inputs will be 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz compliant after the promised firmware update is issued? Will all 7 inputs allow the conveyance of 8K/60Hz or 4K/120Hz or will this ability be limited to just some of the inputs?"

Reply:
"With regards to your question, all of the HDMI inputs on this model are 8K/60 and 4K/120 capable, so like you mention, when updated all inputs will work the same. Hope this helps and if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask. Many thanks"

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a clarification from Yamaha:

Question posed:
"I'm looking at the RX-A8, but cannot find out how many of its 7 HDMI inputs will be 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz compliant after the promised firmware update is issued? Will all 7 inputs allow the conveyance of 8K/60Hz or 4K/120Hz or will this ability be limited to just some of the inputs?"

Reply:
"With regards to your question, all of the HDMI inputs on this model are 8K/60 and 4K/120 capable, so like you mention, when updated all inputs will work the same. Hope this helps and if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask. Many thanks"
When’s this update supposed to happen? And until then, is it actually limited as per the suggestion I quoted?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Well, you can contact Yamaha for more clarification.....if you wish or not. Like the other gentleman did.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If you bought a Denon 2020 model, they have a free HDMI adapter kit. Better than nothing at all for a fix. Just saying for use with other devices to make things work. It is easy to unplug one and use another devise. How many times would you have to do in the course of a day, a week, a month?

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I going to use the adapter NOT for game console but with eARC in order to overcome the lack of VRR with my Sony A80J 77 inch and have access to 4k at 120 hrtz .

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@Epsonfan , It took 7 days from the day I ordered, to receive mine and made in Vietnam, as where the AVR was made too. I ordered out of spite and have no use for it. I do no gaming and can't afford a new 2.1 HDMI gaming TV, at least from TLC, which they only make one, and is in the two-three 3K $$ range. That is per TCL factory rep, 3 weeks ago. Gaming TV's are pretty expensive these days, if interested. IMO of course.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I recently upgraded my TV and I just plugged the series X into the TV and everything else goes through the Denon. It's a bit of a pain to switch between gaming and everything else due to LG's horrible remote. Still, I prefer that to adding an extra box.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I move on from LG OLED to Sony OLED boy what a difference .Great job SONY

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I going to use the adapter NOT for game console but with eARC in order to overcome the lack of VRR with my Sony A80J 77 inch and have access to 4k at 120 hrtz .
You are going to do what? VRR has nothing to do with 4K120Hz. eARC has nothing to do with either VRR or 4K120Hz. Those are all separate features.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
@Epsonfan , It took 7 days from the day I ordered, to receive mine and made in Vietnam, as where the AVR was made too. I ordered out of spite and have no use for it. I do no gaming and can't afford a new 2.1 HDMI gaming TV, at least from TLC, which they only make one, and is in the two-three 3K $$ range. That is per TCL factory rep, 3 weeks ago. Gaming TV's are pretty expensive these days, if interested. IMO of course.
Thanks I ordered the add on in case if I sell my Denon later on

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis