V

viggi

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi

I have a Denon Avr 3803 receiver and it boasts 96kHz/24 bit DACs. &nbsp;I want to know if that means it can decode HDCDs or does that require a seperate decoder. &nbsp;If it can, then will any CD player do, to play HDCDs or do I need a player that can specifically play HDCDs ?

I tried posting this question in the receiver sections of the message board, may be someone here can help me.

I would greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks.
Viggi</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Viggi;

I don't believe that your Denon receiver has HDCD decoding. &nbsp;I suspect you may need to purchase a DVD/CD player that has that feature.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I have a Denon 3802 and a Denon DCM-380 CD player. &nbsp;The reciever doesn't do HDCD decoding, although my player does. &nbsp;The downside is that if you run the CD into an analog input, to take advantage of the carousels HDCD capability, all the Denon receivers redigitize the analog inputs! &nbsp;So it's tough to say how much you'd gain.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : I have a Denon 3802 and a Denon DCM-380 CD player.  The reciever doesn't do HDCD decoding, although my player does.  The downside is that if you run the CD into an analog input, to take advantage of the carousels HDCD capability, all the Denon receivers redigitize the analog inputs!  So it's tough to say how much you'd gain.
The Denon converts the analog inputs using 24-bit/96kHz ADC’s. From a 16-bit 44.1kHz point of view the Denon is over-sampling the analog inputs (big time). You would gain fidelity going to HDCD.

Why? The HDCD encoding process is 20-bits/176.4kHz but that encoding generates a 16-bit/44.1kHz data stream that is modulated and stored to the CD. The HDCD decoder in the player uses special processing to restore the music with additional fidelity over a standard 16-bit/44.1kHz CD process. Note that neither the bit width or sampling rate of HDCD decoder changed from a standard CD in the player but the processing did change.

Since the Denon (in this case) has a very wide bit width and a very high sampling rate the additional fidelity of HDCD can be realized (up to the preamps outputs).</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis