have you heard of these

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i was saving up for a better sub but i came across these used in my town. they are Pro studio 500W speakers with 2 12inch subs in each speaker. i asked for the model number but he hasn't got back to me yet so i thought i would ask the experts. he is asking 700 for the pair

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nope and generic names like that would have me thinking they're just typical white van speakers....

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
thats what i kinda figured because i really cant find anything on them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did you determine that? Is there a name/model plate on the back side of the speakers or are the drivers made by Sony or ?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
someone listed the same speaker in NY and it was listed as Sony Pro Studio speakers. i guess they also make them with a 15 inch sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still prefer to see a solid bit of info from a Sony site :) I looked at some Sony pro stuff, not much in the way of speakers that I saw. I'd think it would be well identified on the box as Sony, too.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i sent him a message asking for specs and model number. now if a speaker has 2 12 inch subs shouldnt they each have their own amps? and would they go to the sub out on a reciever and the speaker part go to the speaker out connectors?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i was saving up for a better sub but i came across these used in my town. they are Pro studio 500W speakers with 2 12inch subs in each speaker. i asked for the model number but he hasn't got back to me yet so i thought i would ask the experts. he is asking 700 for the pair
JUNK Not worth $0.1 let alone $700!

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
once he sent the sticker on the back it was easy to trace them. they are not sony they are Welton speakers that went out of business. they are more of a PA speaker. the subs in them are powered by the speaker wire i would of thought two 12 inch subs in each speaker would need a amp. and a replacement woofer is worth 45 bucks so that explains alot. so thats a big pass

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
once he sent the sticker on the back it was easy to trace them. they are not sony they are Welton speakers that went out of business. they are more of a PA speaker. the subs in them are powered by the speaker wire i would of thought two 12 inch subs in each speaker would need a amp. and a replacement woofer is worth 45 bucks so that explains alot. so thats a big pass
Welton or Weltron? Found Weltron in a search for Welton. Still hadn't heard of the brand.

FWIW just because a driver has a diameter of 12 inches (or even 15) doesn't make it a sub, usually just a woofer in a set like this, especially in a pro style passive speaker, as they generally don't dig as low as a true sub. Larger drivers/boxes don't necessarily need gobs of power either....they can be high sensitivity.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Wire can not power anything. It can only passively transfer powr with loss, unless at absolute zero. So of course it would need an amp. Also in a fly by night outfit like that you could have zero confidence the box was the correct volume and ported correctly.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I used to work Rent-to-own. Welton and its sub-brands are the kind of speakers you find at RTO and furniture stores who happen to sell electronics.

Absolute bottom barrel stuff. If you pay 10 dollars you paid too much.

highfigh

highfigh

someone listed the same speaker in NY and it was listed as Sony Pro Studio speakers. i guess they also make them with a 15 inch sub.
I seriously doubt that Sony had anything to do with those.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis