Have you guys heard about the new Monolith Encore speaker line

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I wonder what the specs will be on these as you mention. I still would like to have a run at their THX speakers but with the bases being 13 inches wide, they don't fit the spot I'd like to try them. So not a fit for me I don't think

I'm a big fan of monolith though as I have a great amp and sub from them and so far so good!

It's cool they continue to evolve.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder what the specs will be on these as you mention. I still would like to have a run at their THX speakers but with the bases being 13 inches wide, they don't fit the spot I'd like to try them. So not a fit for me I don't think

I'm a big fan of monolith though as I have a great amp and sub from them and so far so good!

It's cool they continue to evolve.
I'm super curious about the specs they seem to be targeting that polk elite klipsch mid tier kind of range with these if they perform well they could make an impact

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yeah I don’t think these would be much different than the Infinity 263s I have for the one setup but have no doubt they will be good quality for what they cost.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I don’t think these would be much different than the Infinity 263s I have for the one setup but have no doubt they will be good quality for what they cost.
Mono Probably easier to find in stock , sales are pretty rare on infinity it seems but cheap . Who knows which performs better someone’s gotta compare them . I wouldn’t pay for a refurb when news cheaper …
I definitely need to try some of their speakers someday if there not too bright .. free returns ehh prob fine .

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
A waveguide can slightly help by allowing a slightly lower crossover frequency, but it can also hurt by pushing the woofers further away from each other than they would be otherwise.
Shady, these do in fact look like the Arendal speakers without an extra 6.5 above the tweeter? So would be good for you to weigh in if you could get a pair to compare to the Arendals.

Also the center is similar as well

Funny the dimensions on the site say it's 13 inches wide which makes little sense to me for 6.5's. Wonder if they have an 8 inch version coming out? OR 10 inch. Why otherwise would it show 13 inches wide

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, these do in fact look like the Arendal speakers without an extra 6.5 above the tweeter? So would be good for you to weigh in if you could get a paid to compare to the Arendals.

Also the center is similar as well

Funny the dimensions on the site say it's 13 inches wide which makes little sense to me for 6.5's. Wonder if they have an 8 inch version coming out? OR 10 inch. Why otherwise would it show 13 inches wide
Looks like a similarly shaped waveguide, but I don't want to speculate on any similarities outside of that. We will be reviewing some Encores, just the towers for now, so we will get a peak at the performance of these speakers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like a similarly shaped waveguide, but I don't want to speculate on any similarities outside of that. We will be reviewing some Encores, just the towers for now, so we will get a peak at the performance of these speakers.
Shady Shady Shady!!! You just made my day! :D

A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
In an AVS thread, a guy from Monoprice said that Claridy and Dan Roemer were involved with the Encore series design and engineering...that bodes pretty well for this series!

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
As long as you aren't sitting more than 30 degrees off center an MTM center is just fine. It's not the end of the world.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As long as you aren't sitting more than 30 degrees off center an MTM center is just fine. It's not the end of the world.
MTM cancellation lobes aren't normally that generous. You pretty much need to be within half that angle, more like +/-15 degrees. And even then there are MTMs where the nulls set in at closer angles than that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
MTM cancellation lobes aren't normally that generous. You pretty much need to be within half that angle, more like +/-15 degrees. And even then there are MTMs where the nulls set in at closer angles than that.
Still can't wait for you guys to review the towers Shady I'm really curious to see what those offer fot $400 bucks a tower

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Still can't wait for you guys to review the towers Shady I'm really curious to see what those offer fot $400 bucks a tower
The bookshelf is kind of a mixed bag, although a solid entry in this price class. The build quality is quite good, although I think most people would wish they could have used the piano black finish on the front baffle as well as the sides. The bass extension is decent and clean. What I can't quite figure out is the wave guide. I had too many unknowns and not enough equations, so I couldn't tell what frequency response irregularities were due to the guide and which were inherent to the tweeter and/or crossover. Out to about 30 degrees horizontally, the wave guide wasn't preventing some dips and peaks in the response. Past 30 degrees, the response smoothed out and was very well controlled. The overall sound wasn't my cup of tea--the crossover blend wasn't very tight, and I thought the lower treble suffered. The upper highs are elevated, but I'm sure many people will like the airy presentation. The sound reminded me very much of the Revel M16, but was very different from the ELAC DBR-62 in the lower treble. Speaking of which, I just noticed that the price of the Elacs has just gone up $150 to $699/pair in all of the finishes. Inflation is definitely with us.

Last edited:
A

Adam2434

Audioholic Intern
Dennis, so looks like you got the Encore B6 and did some measurements.

Care to share the measurements here or on another site?

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Dennis, so looks like you got the Encore B6 and did some measurements.

Care to share the measurements here or on another site?
Probably better not do that. I'm sure there will be 3rd party Spin measurements available fairly soon.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The bookshelf is kind of a mixed bag, although a solid entry in this price class. The build quality is quite good, although I think most people would wish they could have used the piano black finish on the front baffle as well as the sides. The bass extension is decent and clean. What I can't quite figure out is the wave guide. I had too many unknowns and not enough equations, so I couldn't tell what frequency response irregularities were due to the guide and which were inherent to the tweeter and/or crossover. Out to about 30 degrees horizontally, the wave guide wasn't preventing some dips and peaks in the response. Past 30 degrees, the response smoothed out and was very well controlled. The overall sound wasn't my cup of tea--the crossover blend wasn't very tight, and I thought the lower treble suffered. The upper highs are elevated, but I'm sure many people will like the airy presentation. The sound reminded me very much of the Revel M16, but was very different from the ELAC DBR-62 in the lower treble. Speaking of which, I just noticed that the price of the Elacs has just gone up $150 to $699/pair in all of the finishes. Inflation is definitely with us.
Do you feel for the price even with its imperfections it's a decent speaker to start off with?

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Do you feel for the price even with its imperfections it's a decent speaker to start off with?
I think so--they might sound very spacious in stereo. I only ordered one because I wasn't planning on taking advantage of Monoprice's free demo. According to Amir over at ASR, you should be able to judge a speaker fully in mono. Of course, you can't, so all I got was a read on the basic frequency response and tonal character.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think so--they might sound very spacious in stereo. I only ordered one because I wasn't planning on taking advantage of Monoprice's free demo. According to Amir over at ASR, you should be able to judge a speaker fully in mono. Of course, you can't, so all I got was a read on the basic frequency response and tonal character.
Mono only testing a loudspeaker doesn't give any indication of spatiality which I think is too often overlooked. Professor Edgar talks about this on our YT channel and we plan to cover this more in the future.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Mono only testing a loudspeaker doesn't give any indication of spatiality which I think is too often overlooked. Professor Edgar talks about this on our YT channel and we plan to cover this more in the future.
Dr Toole would disagree with that assertion.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Dr Toole would disagree with that assertion.
The Harman research was geared toward listener preferences concerning basic tonality, and didn't include speakers with exceptionally broad dispersion. The Salon Ii was probably the widest in this regard, and I have to assume Harman chose that radiation pattern for a reason. There's no question that speakers differ in their rendition of stereo sound staging, and if that quality is important to you, the evaluation has to be done in stereo to really appreciate speakers that excel in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis