Has anyone had a positive experience with YPAO at all?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Anyone who uses any of these correction systems is going to get a compromise, nothing more. It's impossible to create a large 'perfect listening spot' in a room that won't allow it. It's just not possible. These are trying to create a large 'listening bubble', where the flaws are decreased, but not totally.
Agree after playing with this setup for years at least myself I use ypao as a quick starting point and I’ll always tweak the final settings with a meter to dial it in better . Recently we changed our flooring in our theater room that really busted the old settings a lot . The auto setup got weird then took a long time to get it back to my preference a lot of weird reflections I’d guess was the cause but adding a large this area rug and a few smaller ones did calm it down . There is no perfect room in a live in every day environment .

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Since this tread was created I've had a little bit of a change of heart regarding YPAO. I would say 80 to 85% of the time I don't use it. I never use "Flat", that is entirely too bright. "Front" is just null and void to me as well. "Natural" , I'll use sometimes depending on the recording. But most of the time I use "Through" (No Eq at all) That just seems to sound the best to me, most of the time. When I ran YPAO, I set the level on the sub a tick or two past halfway, and If I remember correctly YPAO set the sub level to around -1db. I bumped it up to about +3.5db and it sounds pretty good now. Yamaha also has something in the option menu called subwoofer trim. Although I'm not sure what that does. Natural setting sometimes seems to create a tighter image and more defined soundstage, if that makes sense. But most of the time Through just sounds right with most music.

My biggest thing right now is deciding if I should get a second sub. My room is small. About 13' across and about 17' deep.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
All 3 of my systems use YPAO flat for movies and Im happy with the results. I always go pure direct for 2 channel music as I like how my speakers sound uncorrected as well.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Since this tread was created I've had a little bit of a change of heart regarding YPAO. I would say 80 to 85% of the time I don't use it. I never use "Flat", that is entirely too bright. "Front" is just null and void to me as well. "Natural" , I'll use sometimes depending on the recording. But most of the time I use "Through" (No Eq at all) That just seems to sound the best to me, most of the time. When I ran YPAO, I set the level on the sub a tick or two past halfway, and If I remember correctly YPAO set the sub level to around -1db. I bumped it up to about +3.5db and it sounds pretty good now. Yamaha also has something in the option menu called subwoofer trim. Although I'm not sure what that does. Natural setting sometimes seems to create a tighter image and more defined soundstage, if that makes sense. But most of the time Through just sounds right with most music.

My biggest thing right now is deciding if I should get a second sub. My room is small. About 13' across and about 17' deep.
I do like the Through setting on most music for some reason for critical listening if does seem to have more detail I have used this for outboard eq’s a lot but that’s an different animal in its self to do . My room is 27 buy 18 with a forgiving wife for placement of speakers and furniture .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agree after playing with this setup for years at least myself I use ypao as a quick starting point and I’ll always tweak the final settings with a meter to dial it in better . Recently we changed our flooring in our theater room that really busted the old settings a lot . The auto setup got weird then took a long time to get it back to my preference a lot of weird reflections I’d guess was the cause but adding a large this area rug and a few smaller ones did calm it down . There is no perfect room in a live in every day environment .
If you want a better main listening position setting, run YPAO only in one position, then finish it without moving the mic. It will average the readings but will be less of a "everyone gets a little piece of the pie but nobody gets everything" result.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If you want a better main listening position setting, run YPAO only in one position, then finish it without moving the mic. It will average the readings but will be less of a "everyone gets a little piece of the pie but nobody gets everything" result.
I’ve thought of doing that I mean basically that’s how I do it when useing a spl meter to fine tune the ypao auto setup . Keeping like the distance and angle measurements and throwing out the crossover and size auto settings and use no eq ( through setting ) . Then dial in the level for each from there .

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
YPAO on my RX-A1020 always sets the front speakers to Large, when in fact I have bookshelf (DefTech Studio Monitor 65's), I end up setting everything manually. Maybe YPAO's logic is hardwired for Large, maybe it's telling me to buy towers? The room is approx 23'L, 15'W, 9'H. 3/4 of that space is divided by 6' bookcase as room divider.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It’s tell you to buy the towers my friend lol .
YPAO on my RX-A1020 always sets the front speakers to Large, when in fact I have bookshelf (DefTech Studio Monitor 65's), I end up setting everything manually. Maybe YPAO's logic is hardwired for Large, maybe it's telling me to buy towers? The room is approx 23'L, 15'W, 9'H. 3/4 of that space is divided by 6' bookcase as room divider.
My room is a little larger than yours but not buy much mines 27 l, by 17 w , 11 ft High in the center of the room all open . I do have four large towers but I run them small . I’ve learned not to listen to ypao on most settings too but I believe yours is saying buy the towers lol !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just means it detected an f3 of 40hz generally. AVR marketing departments probably have more to do with the "large" setting altogether, they don't want to tell you your stuff is "small" :) I wish they'd just have a setting called bass management off or on....

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
All 3 of my systems use YPAO flat for movies and Im happy with the results. I always go pure direct for 2 channel music as I like how my speakers sound uncorrected as well.
Pure Direct sounds good too. I have to turn up louder when I use it though. Since there is no subwoofer output, it takes my ears a few minutes to get used to PD

R

Ragingfighter

Audiophyte
I’ve had epic results from using ypao flat setting and movies standard with my bowers 60-70% increase in audio quality actually.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
About nine yeas ago, I bought the bottom of the line Yamaha AVR. My speakers are Boston Acoustics T1000 cabinets with eight inch full range drivers with whizzer cones and eight inch woofers in the back, used as subwoofers. Using the room correction on the Yamaha made the speakers sound amazing. I am not the only one who thinks so. Peace and goodwill.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes and No, before I ran YPAO on my new RX-A4A, I ran though just the settings I needed to get that AVR up and running.

No internet connection, No DSP settings Nothing just two channel with speakers set to full for 2.1 use only.

Out the box it was amazing sound! later on that day I decided to run YPAO for movie use. Wanted to try out A.I. Well I got mixed results.

All though, A.I. use did create a 3D envelope sound field with a 5.1 setup. The low end was sucked out lacked the punch it had before I ran YPAO.

For a long story short, No YPAO isn't as good as I thought, I wouldn't recommend using YPAO. Do Not even run the ARC at all. Just use "straight" setting. use a tape measure that will Not collapse over 10 ft pull your own measurements from your main seating position. Than use a sound pressure level meter, dial in your levels, set your distances and use sub trim if need be. Find the drop-off of your speakers main left and right snd your center channel.

Your rear surround/s do the same.
Untill Yamaha can get YPAO right? I'll never run anything of Yamahas ARC again.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have dialed in multiple subs using REW and a mIniDSP with my mains set to small. I then turn off the MiniDSP and let YPAO dial in the speakers from about 250Hz and above. I dont use multipoint but take only one measurement at the mlp. I was very successful with both systems that have multiple subs.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
In general yes I’ve had good success with it but I’ve found on most sound fields a lot of the settings do need dialed back but distance and levels it’s very very close to using a spl meter and tape to measure the distance in fact I’ve never had to change the distance after checking it . And I do dial the Peq in with a RTA program on an iPad with a good mic which the onboard eq does a decent job by it’s self but always gets some things out of wack .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis