harman/kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver Review

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wish I had never sold off my 3490, 120 X 2 @ 8 Ohms, plus pre amp outs, optical, coaxial plus sub outs very nice two channel unit.

Mike
Yes agreed this is the best receiver I've ever owned rivaling my NAD separates from the 80s. Also the phono pre amp and tuner section of this receiver sound decent at least. And 150 x 2 @ 4 Ohms with a dynamic power rating over 200 WPC!
Dave

Last edited:
A

Alan Davis

Audiophyte
I have bought my HK 3490 in 2009. I love it. Runs beautifully. And, I love playing CD's on the optical input. Never had a better stereo amp and I am impressed with all of the comments. However, the 3490 doesn't have wifi and blue tooth features. Does it make sense to buy the 3770 or obtain wifi and blue add-ons and keep the 3490.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The 3300/3400 stereo receiver series are great proven products...
We know a little about this platform as I was the lead development engineer... :cool:
The later, replacement 3700 series has revised features/specs compared such as bluetooth, network, coax & optical digital inputs... Note that the robust, linear power supply has been replaced by a PCM switching power supply, also the pre-out/main jacks have been deleted.

Just my $0.02... ;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Field Marshall
We know a little about this platform as I was the lead development engineer... :cool:
The later, replacement 3700 series has revised features/specs compared such as bluetooth, network, coax & optical digital inputs... Note that the robust, linear power supply has been replaced by a PCM switching power supply, also the pre-out/main jacks have been deleted.

Just my $0.02... ;)
No phono pre either if you are still playing LPs.
FYI my 3490 is still humming along running some Infinity Primus 363s. Best receiver I have ever owned so Kudos on the development man. I think I'll keep it for now.:)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
FYI my 3490 is still humming along running some Infinity Primus 363s. Best receiver I have ever owned so Kudos on the development man. I think I'll keep it for now.:)
The 3700 & 3770 do have MM phono input capability..

Just my $0.02... ;)

A

Alan Davis

Audiophyte
The 3700 & 3770 do have MM phono input capability..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Tha

Just my $0.02... ;)
Thank you, M Code. And, thank you for producing a great receiver. I will keep it. But I would like any recommendations on how to integrate internet music. My local FM stations are now low powered and I rarely use them. In addition, Comcast no longer carries local stations over their service.

A

Alan Davis

Audiophyte
I forgot to mention that I play LP's on my 3490 occasionally. Recently replayed my old Woodstock LP after watching the PBS Woodstock program. Excellent sound from the LP's. I would be remiss if I didn't report that the very best sounds come from my Sony CD player connected through the optical input on the 3490. (I also have an excellent subwoofer.) What I miss is over the air classic FM stations. Any help that you can provide on how to access classic stations via the internet onto the 3490 would be appreciated. I am going to keep the 3490.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis