Harman Kardon Beats Denon

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
How many specific Yamaha models have have you had experience with in the last 20+ years?

I have little doubt that a high quality integrated amplifier could have better sound quality than a mass market stereo receiver, but are you certain that the audible difference you heard was due to the brand name and not market each was intended to compete in? What did the power supplies look like? Was the comparison level matched?

What about the RX-Z9? The AVR-1508?
Nope the Denon was a bottom of line model , it was less $ than the Yammy and rated at more than 1/2 of the power of Yammy . But the sound was louder and clearer , i was quite impressed by the Denon . I dont know how they sold any of those Yammy's back then ( but mass advertizing will do it everytime ) .

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
It's like trying to reason with a brick wall with you isn't it?

How many times do I have to say it, you are comparing a Denon "Integrated amplifier (orange)" to a Yamaha "receiver (apple)". I wouldn't expect them to meet the same standard and neither should you.

Compare these two "RECEIVERS".

Denon DRA-297

Yamaha RX-397

Do a level matched DBT on those, and then you might have some ground to stand on.

I am not a "fan" of Yamaha, and I am not a "fan" of Denon. If anything I am a fan of Onkyo at the moment, because they offer the best bang for buck.

We can go round and round but the fact remains, you have not presented one valid argument. Nothing you have said will stick.
You do the match level blu bla . Get back to me :) . Im not into recievers and going to get your models from a store and put them on my credit card , mybe if i knew someone whom sold those brands i would maybe do it after hours . But thing i do know , Amp sections in Mass branded recievers have not changed in + years , so Y would Yammy :) .

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You do the match level blu bla . Get back to me :) . Im not into recievers and going to get your models from a store and put them on my credit card , mybe if i knew someone whom sold those brands i would maybe do it after hours . But thing i do know , Amp sections in Mass branded recievers have not changed in + years , so Y would Yammy :) .
I see you are slipping slowly to a passive position. Well great for you.:rolleyes:

What is this thread about?, receivers right? So if "receivers" have wimpy amplifiers in them in comparison to integrated amplifiers it is because they are receivers, and not integrated amplifiers. You made it very clear earlier that you had it out for Yamaha's receivers, now you are shifting to all receivers, aside from a few brands like NAD and Outlaw, which is understandable because they are built on different principles. The NAD and the Outlaw receivers also cost more than receivers with similar features, which also makes sense.

I simply want you to lay it to rest and realize that Yamaha does not make receivers any better or worse than Denon's receivers, or Harman Kardon's receivers, or Pioneer's receivers and so on. I told you numerous times that comparing a Denon "integrated amplifier (orange)" to a Yamaha "receiver (apple)" was not a valid comparison, regardless of the cost or specifications. They aren't comparable, so why do you insist on comparing them?

Congratulations for wasting a huge amount of time.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
But the sound was louder and clearer...
Which is why I asked if the comparison was level matched; the brain will conclude that the louder of two similar, or identical sounds to be the better one. Even a 0.3dB difference is detectable.

I'm all for big separate power amps, and I have no issues with someone having a favored brand, but declaring everything made by one company to be inferior based on a single comparison sounds absurd to me.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I see you are slipping slowly to a passive position. Well great for you.:rolleyes:

What is this thread about?, receivers right? So if "receivers" have wimpy amplifiers in them in comparison to integrated amplifiers it is because they are receivers, and not integrated amplifiers. You made it very clear earlier that you had it out for Yamaha's receivers, now you are shifting to all receivers, aside from a few brands like NAD and Outlaw, which is understandable because they are built on different principles. The NAD and the Outlaw receivers also cost more than receivers with similar features, which also makes sense.

I simply want you to lay it to rest and realize that Yamaha does not make receivers any better or worse than Denon's receivers, or Harman Kardon's receivers, or Pioneer's receivers and so on. I told you numerous times that comparing a Denon "integrated amplifier (orange)" to a Yamaha "receiver (apple)" was not a valid comparison, regardless of the cost or specifications. They aren't comparable, so why do you insist on comparing them?

Perhaps wire just want's very large amplification so that he can have amazing sound!
He want's to see a "real system with balls."
I'll take it from here Seth ;)

Wire, I'm sorry I didn't understand your meanings... forgive me and the rest of my fellow Audioholics. I will show you a system so vastly superior to everyone else's, that it can only be the best.

Take a very rugged power supply:

Next, add a high quality preamplification section (in this case, a Technics SA-925 works great):

Then, combine that with superb linear and flutter free output stages:

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
End result? Well, I had a budget.

Reference Bose Series:

Transmission Line Enclosure speaker built by me:

CAT5 Cable Speaker wire:

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Onkyo DX-1500 Reference Gold Digital CD-Transport:

DAT:

I hope you have weeped in glory of this fine, hand crafted, high performance and HIGH POWERED non Yamaha system that only Denon could match.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Which is why I asked if the comparison was level matched; the brain will conclude that the louder of two similar, or identical sounds to be the better one. Even a 0.3dB difference is detectable.

I'm all for big separate power amps, and I have no issues with someone having a favored brand, but declaring everything made by one company to be inferior based on a single comparison sounds absurd to me.
Its absurd world out there :) .

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic

Get back to me Seth with your match blu bla comparisions :) . I am intersested in your findings .

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Get back to me Seth with your match blu bla comparisions :) . I am intersested in your findings .
I am not going to do the comparisons, I cannot not afford to do so.

Will you admit that Yamaha's receivers are not inferior to that of Onkyo, Denon, H/K, Pioneer.... receivers? Because isn't that what this thread is about, and not an Integrated amplifier from Denon?

I used to have an Integrated amplifier from Denon from the 80's. It was a nice piece until it started having problems, but it had a fair amount of power considering it was only rated 40 watts per channel. It weighed around 25 pounds, and it was a very inexpensive integrated amplifier. Inexpensive doesn't denote that it should be inferior to a modernish stereo receiver. I could agree that the sub $200 Denon could beat a few stereo receivers, and not just from Yamaha, but Denon receivers, and many others I'm sure.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Onkyo DX-1500 Reference Gold Digital CD-Transport:

DAT:

I hope you have weeped in glory of this fine, hand crafted, high performance and HIGH POWERED non Yamaha system that only Denon could match.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
That all you got? Heck, I've got an actual Spark-O-Matic 8-track:cool:

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
That all you got? Heck, I've got an actual Spark-O-Matic 8-track:cool:

I have a Spark-O-Matic as well! I love the black on chrome scheme... green lamps.... I gotta pic of it somewhere :D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Found it!

Superscope TD-48 (Quadraphonic 8-Track player BTW), Panasonic CX-240??, Spark-O-Matic.

All right there :D

My previous accomplisments:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis