Harman Kardon AVR 1710 static all channels all outputs

P

Patrick Leeroy

Audiophyte
Hi. I have a Harman Kardon AVR 1710 receiver that I recently picked up used, and it's making a static sound on every channel, and on every output. I connected optic audio, HDMI for TV. I also tried Bluetooth music from my cell phone to the receiver. Everything is static, and you hear it at all volumes. It also seems to be quiet, meaning that it must have the volume turned from -80 to -10 before you even hear audio come out. And even on 2 channel stereo with just the 2 large tower speakers connected, there is no bass hardly coming out. But if I plug in either of the 2 sub outputs I have lots bass there.

My last Onkyo on 2 channel stereo blasted bass from these 2 infinity tower speakers. I have the wiring schematic, but need to learn to read it. I can solder and have replaced capacitors and transistors on my last Onkyo receiver. Visually all capacitors appear normal without bulges. Everything else function normal, powers on and off properly. I was leading to possibly checking the volume potentiometer first l, and then resoldering many points that may appear cracking.

I do have another Onkyo small tabletop Bluetooth stereo, and I connected both speakers without any static sound at all. So I can for sure rule out faulty speakers. It is the receiver for certain. I also read quite a few other threads, Marantz SR7102 static noise from all channels seemed most promising, but nothing to lead me on what causes all channels to have static with verified good speakers. Another set of 7.1 Harmon Kardon speakers also provide static only on this receiver.

Please help me in what you think may be a possiblility. I really don't think it's any individual channel cap and transistor, as I believe it's highly unlikely all are bad, as every channel gives static. But hey, I don't do this for a living. Any ideas what may effect this on all channels, and where to look? Is there caps and/or transistors that effect all channels? Volume potentiometer possibly? Please help. Thanks!!

Patrick Leeroy from Orlando

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Are you able to do a total reset on the Marantz?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A reset to factory default settings is usually the first step but you need an audio signal tracer or oscilloscope to trace back where the static is coming from. The fact that it is on all channels does not bode well. That would indicate that it is ahead of the amplifier stage, so either in the pre-amp stage or in the processor. If the digital processing has failed it's pretty much a write off. It helps to have a signal generator to apply a clean 1kHz sine wave on the input that can be traced through the circuitry. Servicing a hybrid unit that has digital and analogue circuitry is much more complex than working on vintage analogue gear. If the amp does not have discreet transistors and uses a large IC for amplification, then I can not rule out the amp stage entirely. You need a logical approach with a clean signal on the input and a method for tracing the signal through the different stages. The old days of swapping a few components don't apply well to modern AVRs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis