Hard drive opinions

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Looking at 500gb to 1tb for back up, most important to me is reliability.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've looked into a few options like that, only thing that always turns me away is subscription fees, 60 a year isn't bad, but I could buy a new drive every year for that. I should mention it's for family photos and videos.
the solution really depends on your definition of reliability. I think $60/year is not much for the practically best type of protection and easiest option to use.
You want to DIY: Sure, there are hundreds of ways to skin that particular cat. From a simple external HD, which you would store in fire box/safe or you could go with 2-4 bay NAS, but that's quite the rabbit hole. Do you go with regular NAS drives like WD Red or with Enterprise drives (later more reliable and expensive). Do you buy two and replicate between them? Even most basic SOHO NAS starts at $300-350, without hard drives. If you go with 2 bay and want reliability, then your only option is using drive mirroring or aka raid 1. This means the capacity of seconds drive would not be used for data, only for data mirroring. ie: 2x2tb drives = 2tb volume, not 4tb.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have tons of data to store (under 1tb, mostly music) so I have gotten by last coupla years on whatever 2-4 tb hard drive at Costco last coupla years. I dropped the grandfather backup the other day and it won't power up and I can't figure out how to open the case so now looking/thinking about options....tuning in.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't have tons of data to store (under 1tb, mostly music) so I have gotten by last coupla years on whatever 2-4 tb hard drive at Costco last coupla years. I dropped the grandfather backup the other day and it won't power up and I can't figure out how to open the case so now looking/thinking about options....tuning in.
your old "backup" drive - you could take it a part, remove the internal HD and plug it in a different HD enclosure or just inside the pc. You could just have a bad power supply on old one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
your old "backup" drive - you could take it a part, remove the internal HD and plug it in a different HD enclosure or just inside the pc. You could just have a bad power supply on old one.
I was hoping to try but the case has no screws, and using a guitar pick like I do with a laptop didn't do the trick...any ideas? It's a Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive model SRD00F2...

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
For only 1tb backup? https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15547130011 - $60/year - 100% guaranteed. Including data survival in events like earthquakes and fires
I'm with you on off-site backups. The usual rule of thumb is to keep 2-3 full backups. At least one on-site for very fast data recovery plus one off-site in case of fire or flood. The reason for a second local backup (father/grandfather) is incase you don't catch that you've changed the contents of a file or it's become corrupted and do not catch it right away. I keep a backup of all of my important data from all of my computers on my local NAS plus off-site backups.

For off-site I use iDrive. The normal price is $70/year for 2TB of personal (non-business) backups but right now they are running a $52/$104 special offer for one or two years of up to 2TB of backup storage. That's all of your home and laptop computers sharing that space. 5TB plans are on special for $150 for two years.

www.idrive.com

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm with you on off-site backups. The usual rule of thumb is to keep 2-3 full backups. At least one on-site for very fast data recovery plus one off-site in case of fire or flood. The reason for a second local backup (father/grandfather) is incase you don't catch that you've changed the contents of a file or it's become corrupted and do not catch it right away. I keep a backup of all of my important data from all of my computers on my local NAS plus off-site backups.

For off-site I use iDrive. The normal price is $70/year for 2TB of personal (non-business) backups but right now they are running a $52/$104 special offer for one or two years of up to 2TB of backup storage. That's all of your home and laptop computers sharing that space. 5TB plans are on special for $150 for two years.

www.idrive.com
never heard about idrive. Price seems decent enough. After learning in depth about backbone of Amazon's Datacenters which serve both the amazon.com and AWS I have gained 100% trust in their abilities to have my data safe. iDrive, even in brand name seems to trying hard to be associated with pear branded iCloud, which makes me slightly concerned about it... Another cheap option would be with Backblaze, but for small difference in price I'd still suggest Amazon's product.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
never heard about idrive. Price seems decent enough. After learning in depth about backbone of Amazon's Datacenters which serve both the amazon.com and AWS I have gained 100% trust in their abilities to have my data safe. iDrive, even in brand name seems to trying hard to be associated with pear branded iCloud, which makes me slightly concerned about it... Another cheap option would be with Backblaze, but for small difference in price I'd still suggest Amazon's product.
Got any links for what you learned about AWS? Curious to see what they offer.

I'm just using the auto backup with Google Drive at this point, but pictures are all I'm using it for since my phone automagically backs them up.

I also am using my Plex server to backup full rez copies of all my phone pictures.

A third offsite option would be nice since I'm pretty much covered.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Got any links for what you learned about AWS? Curious to see what they offer.

I'm just using the auto backup with Google Drive at this point, but pictures are all I'm using it for since my phone automagically backs them up.

I also am using my Plex server to backup full rez copies of all my phone pictures.

A third offsite option would be nice since I'm pretty much covered.
this one is fairly interesting and well-presented video should give you an idea of Amazon's scale

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Crazy. I remember when people thought Wal-mart was going to take over the world...I think Amazon has taken their place.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Crazy. I remember when people thought Wal-mart was going to take over the world...I think Amazon has taken their place.
Altho the Waltons have quite a bit more money than Bezos....maybe it worked out for them.

ps Guess not now that I look it up, he's made up a lot of ground lately! Altho the drumpf's comments cost him some money this week it seems.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Altho the Waltons have quite a bit more money than Bezos....maybe it worked out for them.

ps Guess not now that I look it up, he's made up a lot of ground lately! Altho the drumpf's comments cost him some money this week it seems.
Total Walton family wealth: $144.7 billion.
Jeff Bezos/Net worth 114.2 billion USD - 2018
First one is started business 57 years ago, and other one 24 years, but begun to be really profitable 10-11 years ago. Give Jeff 5 years and he'll be more wealthy than Rockefeller family.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Total Walton family wealth: $144.7 billion.
Jeff Bezos/Net worth 114.2 billion USD - 2018
First one is started business 57 years ago, and other one 24 years, but begun to be really profitable 10-11 years ago. Give Jeff 5 years and he'll be more wealthy than Rockefeller family.
Rockefellers aren't the richest any more are they? Take 'em a while to challenge the Rothschilds

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis