Hammerin' Hank is gone............................

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
This one( 715) isnt even close to whatever you want to put second.. After that we can talk about how many of Aaron's records still stand
one other important stat that can't be denied and many a Yankee fan will quickly point this out, the Bambino's HR to AB ratio is a record that is second to none ! While Hank finished with 755 hr's on 12, 364 AB's, the Babe hit 714 on only 8399 AB's. Many a 'hot stove' league pundit will quickly point that out !

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Pete Rose was a great player.. I bet he didn't get death threats as he approached ty cobbs record.. This one( 715) isnt even close to whatever you want to put second.. After that we can talk about how many of Aaron's records still stand , like extra base hits...Edit : did you know? Aaron never hit 50 hr in a year.. But he hit 40 so many times you could bank it as a given... I'll give Rose credit for longevity and consistency.. Some ball players that i talked to from that era thought he was kind of a hot dog ( talent aside, he certainly had talent, nobody hits that well without lots of it)
Why would anyone threaten a White guy who was a known racist?

Rose didn't need to drill Ray Fosse at the plate. That would be a stupid move in a real game, but he did it during the All Star Game.

highfigh

highfigh

one other important stat that can't be denied and many a Yankee fan will quickly point this out, the Bambino's HR to AB ratio is a record that is second to none ! While Hank finished with 755 hr's on 12, 364 AB's, the Babe hit 714 on only 8399 AB's. Many a 'hot stove' league pundit will quickly point that out !
And he did it by drinking, eating bad food and smoking.

Take THAT, health nuts!:)

highfigh

highfigh

One of the things I like about Hank- he wasn't a show-off and when he said he would have to ask his wife about getting some stadium seats, he proved that he's human and just as married as many other guys.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
And he did it by drinking, eating bad food and smoking.

Take THAT, health nuts!:)
My entire point involves : Aaron legitimized the black ballplayer as a permanent force of the game... The single accomplishment of breaking the record is the most *important*historical event in baseball history.. Robinson opened the door.. Aaron made sure it was taken down for good

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Why would anyone threaten a White guy who was a known racist?

Rose didn't need to drill Ray Fosse at the plate. That would be a stupid move in a real game, but he did it during the All Star Game.
That's my exact point... Rose got to play ball, Aaron had to hit homers(not singles) as an aging ballplayer with death threats being hurled at him as a member of the team that was the only franchise in the deep south.. Rose was a great ballplayer.. Aaron was a cultural icon...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My entire point involves : Aaron legitimized the black ballplayer as a permanent force of the game... The single accomplishment of breaking the record is the most *important*historical event in baseball history.. Robinson opened the door.. Aaron made sure it was taken down for good
as far as the racial side of things, sorry, there were plenty of equally great black ball players of Hanks era that kept that door open. As for his baseball prowess in the field (right field/1st base), do you think he will be ever mentioned in the top three of his position ?

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
as far as the racial side of things, sorry, there were plenty of equally great black ball players of Hanks era that kept that door open. As for his baseball prowess in the field (right field/1st base), do you think he will be ever mentioned in the top three of his position ?
None of them broke Babe ruths record... That's the point........Underselling racism in the era is completely disingenuous

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
He's the greatest player ever.. He played outfield as well as anyone.. First base was a way of keeping his bat in the line up when he got older...btw .. He was a great baserunner as well

highfigh

highfigh

That's my exact point... Rose got to play ball, Aaron had to hit homers(not singles) as an aging ballplayer with death threats being hurled at him as a member of the team that was the only franchise in the deep south.. Rose was a great ballplayer.. Aaron was a cultural icon...
He got death threats when he played here, too- he broke the record for HR and RBI as a Brewer. He played in his first and last All Star games in Milwaukee, too.

From the link, "Hammerin’ Hank got the call from Bud Selig while still in Toyko. He was basically still asleep when Selig, the Brewers President at the time, told him the news. It was the only time in his 23 year career he was traded. After the trade was announced, he told the New York Times: “I’m going back home”. "

Considering the issues here, it's nice that he thought of Milwaukee as 'home'.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
He's the greatest player ever.. He played outfield as well as anyone..
Sorry, we for sure disagree here. While I agree, Hank in his prime overall was as good or better than any other outfielder. But 'greatest player ever' ? now that's a stretch ! But hey, whatever makes you happy !

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Sorry, we for sure disagree here. While I agree, Hank in his prime overall was as good or better than any other outfielder. But 'greatest player ever' ? now that's a stretch ! But hey, whatever makes you happy !
There you go.. That is an opinion.. :)

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I will stipulate that Willie Mays is in the conversation as greatest player ever as is Barry Bonds... Mays is a really nice guy too...i could agree with the thought that any one of those three were the greatest player ever...I've been fortunate enough to meet lots of celebs , athletes and political big wigs..Meeting Mays is among my fondest memories..

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There you go.. That is an opinion.. :)
an opinion that is shared by many ! here's but one example ...........

I've checked multiple other references as well, nowhere is Hank rated as a better outfielder than Mays.

here's another good outfielder recap ..........

and another great reference that takes statistics to another level ......

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I will stipulate that Willie Mays is in the conversation as greatest player ever as is Barry Bonds... Mays is a really nice guy too...i could agree with the thought that any one of those three were the greatest player ever...I've been fortunate enough to meet lots of celebs , athletes and political big wigs..Meeting Mays is among my fondest memories..
you would probably be the only person I know of not to include Ruth , why ???

highfigh

highfigh

It's not possible to pick the "Greatest ever"- everyone does some things better than others. I was watching some baseball clips on YouTube and some showed best throws from the outfield- Orlando Cespedes was in some and while his throws were incredible, his fielding before those throws was total crap.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
you would probably be the only person I know of not to include Ruth , why ???
Couldn't run well , no defensive skil!s..he probably was a better pitcher than most give credit for though.. Mostly because the pitchers from that era were overworked and overrated...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It's not possible to pick the "Greatest ever"- everyone does some things better than others. I was watching some baseball clips on YouTube and some showed best throws from the outfield- Orlando Cespedes was in some and while his throws were incredible, his fielding before those throws was total crap.
agreed (somewhat), Bill James Baseball abstract analysis does a very good job of cutting through personal biases and hones in on the stats. But as I stated earlier, era / generational accounting play big.`

Heck, even trying to pick the all time best 'starting nine' is darn tough. Although I have no doubt who's on the 'hot corner'......... the kid from Dayton, Ohio !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis