GUTZ! Post your favorite amplifier and receiver inards

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Welcome back Bob. I haven't been on much lately so I don't even know when you got back, LOL:)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Welcome back Bob. I haven't been on much lately so I don't even know when you got back, LOL:)
Mmm... lessee... just over 24 hours ago. :)

All reinvigorated, rejuvinated, rehabilitated, and still looking sharp. :cool:

And Thanks. :)

G

grimloch

Audiophyte
Citation 19 - Bridged Mode Wiring

I have five outboard amps from B&K to Adcom, but my favorite is an an oldie but goodie. The Harmon Kardon Citation 19 amp - used in my two channel stereo setup hooked up to my Denon 4802R (preamp) and driving my AV123 Strata Mini's

and the inside which has four caps in it which are each the size of a 12 oz coke can. After I shut off the power, it still drives the speakers for 20 seconds.
MatthewB.,

I saw that you own a Citation 19. I do also, and am trying to find the correct way to wire the amp to a single speaker in bridged mode. Do I take the positive from one channel and the negative from the other and bring them to the speaker? If so, does it matter which channel I use for each?

I've searched all over online and haven't been able to find a diagram for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
MatthewB.,

I saw that you own a Citation 19. I do also, and am trying to find the correct way to wire the amp to a single speaker in bridged mode. Do I take the positive from one channel and the negative from the other and bring them to the speaker? If so, does it matter which channel I use for each?

I've searched all over online and haven't been able to find a diagram for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
You don't have your manual anymore? It should be indicated in it.
Or download it from Citation web site.

If your Citation 19 power amp allows you to Bridge (it does) it's two channels, it should be quite simple. It is probably the same principle as any other power amps or recivers that have Bridging capability of some or all their separate channel power amps.

*** NOTE: Ok, I went through it for you. From the manual:
["4-ohm speakers will cause the Citation 19 current limiting circuits to operate and distort the signal. For this reason, 4-ohm speakers cannot be used with the Citation 19 in the bridge mode"].
* This is pretty much standard with all receivers and many power amplifiers.

<< CAUTION >>
* Before you proceed with Bridging connections, turn your Citation 19 amp OFF.*

["To operate the amplifier in the bridge mode, slide the rear panel STEREO/BRIDGE switch to BRIDGE. Connect the preamplifier output to the LEFT input receptacle of the Citation 19. Connect one end of a length of speaker cable to the positive and negative terminals of your speaker system. Connect the other end to the red LEFT and RIGHT output terminal posts on the back of the Citation 19"].

*** Your Citation 19 is rated at 100 watts per channel (8-ohm).
In Bridge mode, into 8-ohm speakers, it should give you about 300 watts.
>>> And remember, NO 4-ohm speakers in Bridge mode. <<<

Bob

Last edited:
G

grimloch

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot, Lordoftherings. Seems odd connecting a positive and negative to two positives... guess it doesn't matter which i connect to which? I'll give it a try later tonight.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Agree use both Positives, select "Bridge" and Left Input RCA and you will get 400 watts Mono. manual is on H/K site

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Oh yeah if you ever wanna sell your Citation, let me know. :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha P3500S. One of the smallest Yamaha pro amps, rated 350 x 2 at 8 Ohms, both channels driven, 20Hz-20,000Khz, or 450x2 at 4 Ohms, both channels driven, 20Hz-20,000Hz. There is a fan in front of the heatsink tunnel, but that fan never operates unless you overheat the amplifier with extreme output levels for extended time periods. As a test, I drove a pair of 4 Ohm 88db/2.83v/1meter sensitivity speakers for 30 minutes with rock music at bout 95dB measured at the listening position with C, slow weighted set on the SPL meter. The fan never come on. I have only been able to active the fans on the pro Yamaha amps by running continuous test signals at near full power for several minutes. Music won't do it.

I like these amps because of their very high build quality and performance for relatively low cost. They also have standard hi-fi type output stages (AB class) but with much higher efficiency than regular hi-fi AB class amps, because the Yamahas use an infinitely variable tracking voltage rail to the output devices. This means the voltage is adjusted constantly to what is actually needed at any given time for the music instead of providing a fixed high voltage, which causes far greater heat generation/electrical waste. The Yamaha amps have close to the efficiency of switching amplifiers (Class D PWM and related, etc.), but the guaranteed broadband low distortion and wide bandwidth low output impedance of a high quality AB class amplifier.

BTW, the rack mount tabs come off by removing a few screws, so you can use these amps in a regular consumer audio rack if so desired.

-Chris

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
That's a nice little amp with lots of juice Chris. :)
And thanks for the inside picture; always cool to see the internal construction. :cool:

Hey Chris, what's the relatively low cost of the P3500S?
Seems to be eight complementary devices (output transistors) per channel.
Have any idea of their made and type (with their serial #s)?
About the total filtering capacitance of these four block capacitors?
Size of the toroidal power transformer (kVA)?
Weight of the unit?

Bob

Last edited:
Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
I always thought the Yamaha had heat sinks on both sides judging by the front vents ! (maybe its for higher power version 7000S?)

..& the heat sink looks so tiny, could u post a better shot of it Chris :)

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
In the meantime, let's take a look inside my next pro amp. the Qsc RMX-4050HD. Class H (3 tier) 800W at 8, 1600 at 2, 68lbs, 2 story heat sinks. And with the 3RU size fan, its almost silent. Soon. :)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
In the meantime, let's take a look inside my next pro amp. the Qsc RMX-4050HD. Class H (3 tier) 800W at 8, 1600 at 2, 68lbs, 2 story heat sinks. And with the 3RU size fan, its almost silent. Soon. :)
Yes, a single one of these bridged is almost enough power to drive one of my Audiopulse AXIS 15" drivers to it's potential. :)

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That QSC is a power house of an amplifier.:eek:

Chris,

I am also curious about the kva of the Yamaha's transformer and the total uF of the caps as well.:D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That QSC is a power house of an amplifier.:eek:

Chris,

I am also curious about the kva of the Yamaha's transformer and the total uF of the caps as well.:D
I honestly do not remember. This is one of their smallest amplifiers, Seth. The P7000S is the higher powered one, but it's not at all heavy. The P7000S goes to a switch mode power supply to radically reduce weight, where the P3500S uses a standard power supply (albeit with the variable voltage rail function to increase efficiency dramatically).

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I honestly do not remember. This is one of their smallest amplifiers, Seth. The P7000S is the higher powered one, but it's not at all heavy. The P7000S goes to a switch mode power supply to radically reduce weight, where the P3500S uses a standard power supply (albeit with the variable voltage rail function to increase efficiency dramatically).

-Chris
Cool, any pictures of the P7000S by chance?:D

T

theater_lover

Enthusiast
WmAx (Chris), can you PM me? I have some questions for you but am new to Audioholics and can't PM you yet. Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis