GUTZ! Post your favorite amplifier and receiver inards

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Marantz SR-18 A/V Receiver info + pictures.

I check online for the confirmation about the caps, but couldn't get anything.
Anyway, it is a FACT that the Marantz SR-18, SR-18EX and SR-14EX A/V Receivers have all two big block capacitors rated at 56,000uF per each cap,
for a total of 112,000uF (YES WAY!) capacitance (great for dynamic headroom).
They also all have a big toroidal transformer (great for total power capacity).

There was a review (I got the mag at home) of the Marantz SR-18 in the "Home Theater mag" from the December 1999 issue, reviewed by Joe Hageman, mentioning and confirming the rating of these huge caps, and also from other older reviews by other magazines, perhaps also "Widescreen Review".
The thing is that these sites don't keep these older reviews in their data base for those years (2000 and less).

Here's just some pictures and specs, very basic stuff, from Marantz own web site.

1. http://www.marantz.com/pdfs/u_sr18ex.pdf

2. http://www.marantz.com/p_product.cfm?id=494&cont=u&line=rcv&category=hf

3. FRONT: http://www.marantz.com/p_product_alt.cfm?id=494&cont=u&img_ext=lrg

4. REAR: http://www.marantz.com/p_product_alt.cfm?id=494&cont=u&img_ext=bck

Bob

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I check online for the confirmation about the caps, but couldn't get anything.
Anyway, it is a FACT that the Marantz SR-18, SR-18EX and SR-14EX A/V Receivers have all two big block capacitors rated at 56,000uF per each cap,
for a total of 112,000uF (YES WAY!) capacitance (great for dynamic headroom).
Several small caps (high quality ones) work better than one large one, you know that already right? I guess I am nitpicking, we all know a receiver as high end as the SR-18 is, still has to compromise in order to fit everything in one box. One question ends up being, with those compromises, could they sound as good as separates? I know they do, not for all, but probably for most home applications.

By the way, I don't want to open up my 4BSST, could you post some pictures for me, please?:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
By the way, I don't want to open up my 4BSST, could you post some pictures for me, please?:D
You should just open your 4BSST up anyway, stop whining.:D

Yes, several small caps are better performing, more durable, and cheaper to replace.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this it?

Thanks Adam, it sure looks like it but too bad it doesn't show the caps too well. According to Bryston it has 45,000 uF. I just want to see how many caps are there per channel.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You should just open your 4BSST up anyway, stop whining.:D
I still have 15.5 years left on the warranty and I don't want to lose it. If you call that whining, fair enough, I won't open it.:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Adam, it sure looks like it but too bad it doesn't show the caps too well. According to Bryston it has 45,000 uF. I just want to see how many caps are there per channel.
Are you good with schematics? Bryston has the one for 4B SST at the link here.

There's a nice internal photo of the 4B SST2 at the link here, but that's a different design, right?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Bryston 4B SST guts, I'm working right now on it.

Several small caps (high quality ones) work better than one large one, you know that already right? I guess I am nitpicking, we all know a receiver as high end as the SR-18 is, still has to compromise in order to fit everything in one box. One question ends up being, with those compromises, could they sound as good as separates? I know they do, not for all, but probably for most home applications.

Hey Peng, of course I already knew that. It all has to do with quick recovery time (discharge and recharge),
or speed of the transient attacks. ;)

But as you already know also, about 99% of receivers sold on the market nowadays and for a lengthy period of time,
have two block capacitors in them.
Now, would you rather have two rated at 5,600uf each, or two rated at 56,000uF each?

As for the Bryston 4B SST internals, coming up right away. :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
That Bryston 4B SST2 uses 8 block capacitors per channel, for a total of 16.
And each cap is rated at 5,600uF (100 Volts!)*, for a total capacitance reserve of 89,600uF.
There are also two toroidal transformers (one on top of the other one), rated at 600 VA each (Total = 1.2 KVA).

* Again, 100 Volts rating per cap!

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Harman Kardon AVR 355 guts.

Must be that time again... ;)

For owners of the Harman Kardon AVR 355 A/V receiver,
here's some cool picure (inernal & external) of your receiver. :cool:
Plus as a bonus, you get to read a free review of your receiver (in German of course :D ).

* http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2008/hk_avr355.shtml
>> There are two pages.

** Check that nice Volume knob in particular, isn't cool or not, with nice glowing blue inside ring light?

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That Bryston 4B SST2 uses 8 block capacitors, total (4 per side, channel),
and they are rated at 5,600uF each (100 Volts!)*,
for a total capacitance reserve of 44,800uF.

* Again, 100 Volts!
That's 44,800 per channel. The schematics only show one channel (8X5,600 uF).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a nice internal photo of the 4B SST2 at the link here, but that's a different design, right?
According to Bryston, they did not up the capacitance in the SST2 so it should still be 45,000 uF per channel. Thanks for the schematics, I am going to print it out and go through it next weekend.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis