Ground Loops - Eliminating System Hum and Buzz

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
'josh' the DC part of your post is totally incorrect. Planet Earth works the same way with DC as with AC. In the past, we didn't see much high voltage DC in contact with Earth. But now some electric cars have high voltage batteries and in an accident, the safety worker have to be careful not to electrocuted.
With electric cars and even electric tools, I'm more concerned about the Lithium batteries going off like a small rocket. The local SnapOn guy was charging a Ryobi battery in his former garage, near his former SnapOn truck filled with former tools, his former pickup truck, his former Camaro and the Alpha Romeo he inherited from his dad. The new garage isn't quite done.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Speedskater & TLS Guy, perhaps you could update your last posts? The mistake has been corrected.

S

Speedskater

Senior Audioholic
Speedskater & TLS Guy,
Speedskater, they work the same, but should never be connected together.
In a hi-fi component, the AC Safety Ground is connected to the chassis and the DC supply common (aka ground) is also connected to the chassis.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
I get a nasty POP when I turn my bathroom exhaust fan off, I get some feedback when I turn the lights on and off in the bathroom but not like the exhaust fan. Any ideas?

S

Speedskater

Senior Audioholic
There are suppressor circuits for that type of POP. But the parts are tricky to purchase and install.

Use a long extension cord to power your hi-fi from different circuits in your home. (as a test)

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
In a hi-fi component, the AC Safety Ground is connected to the chassis and the DC supply common (aka ground) is also connected to the chassis.
Sometimes. There's plenty of gear that uses a two prong AC plug. In that case, the ground only meets the AC neutral inside of the breaker panel although this can be different in various countries.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Junior Audioholic
How much volts is considered less/more dangerous in ground loop ?
Example:
3v = low ?
20v = high ?

Latest posts

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis