Ground Loop Issue With Cable TV

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Granted, mine is a "power conditioner," but it DID solve my hum.
I had 2 power conditoners at the time, both good ones from Panamax, and neither of them solved my hum issue. The $9 isolation transformer did.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Stupid question but will a HD feed(HD SAT) be ok going through this?
Get this guy and try it: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-075 It worked for me. There is a whole thread on how to solve ground loop hum if you haven't reviewed it already. A surge suppressor WILL NOT solve this issue, as I have two of them and neither removed the hum from my system in my previous place. I called the cable company and they eventually got around to correcting the issue and that is ultimately what you need to do. It should be completely free too.

J

JCW

Enthusiast
Thanks again everyone for the comments. I tried the power conditioner (first) with the common 110v and cable grounds (inside) and as TLSGuy advised, that did not correct it. I lifted grounds one at a time and that did not stop it. In the end there was only one piece of equipment that did not have the 3 pin 110v power connector and it was the Bose 901 Processor. I reversed the plug and that did not help. However, when I changed speakers and eliminated the Bose 901 Processor, the problem went away immediately.

I imagine the common ground outside at the service entrance would stop it as well, but for now the problem has been resolved with removing the Bose Preamp. I guess it may be time for the 901s to find a new home (or at least use them somewhere without a TV and cable connection).

Thanks again to everyone,
John

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stupid question but will a HD feed(HD SAT) be ok going through this?
Unfortunately, I can't answer that. I don't see why it wouldn't, but you never know. You'd have to check with PE.

Good that you got it solved JCW :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis