Great deal on great speaker - 6" Canton Vento bookshelf speakers! ($600/pr)

W

wern0105

Audiophyte
You guys have offered have some great advice on here. I figured I would solict some more. I am about to pull the trigger on some Canton vento gear and can't decide between a couple options. The room is about 14 by about 17, with 4/5 of a side wall open to another larger room. Setup will be about 85% HT/15% music. I am pretty set on the 866 center, and so am trying to figure out the best pairings. I will likely get a sub as well, so am not too concerned with lower bass. Do I go with 896, 876, or 836 for mains? I figured the 876 would be an inferior match since they only have a 6" midrange/woofer compared to the 7" on the 866 center. So I was leaning towards the 896 or 836. But perhaps this isn't really an issue? And if I have to spend about 500 on stands for the 836s in order to get a fixed assembly (I have a son who will definitely test the sturdiness of the speakers on the stands), I figured I may as well get towers. But then I read a post by KEW about the tweeters on these towers being low. So why not ask the experts to make this decision for me! Haha. Thanks for any advice guys.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You guys have offered have some great advice on here. I figured I would solict some more. I am about to pull the trigger on some Canton vento gear and can't decide between a couple options. The room is about 14 by about 17, with 4/5 of a side wall open to another larger room. Setup will be about 85% HT/15% music. I am pretty set on the 866 center, and so am trying to figure out the best pairings. I will likely get a sub as well, so am not too concerned with lower bass. Do I go with 896, 876, or 836 for mains? I figured the 876 would be an inferior match since they only have a 6" midrange/woofer compared to the 7" on the 866 center. So I was leaning towards the 896 or 836. But perhaps this isn't really an issue? And if I have to spend about 500 on stands for the 836s in order to get a fixed assembly (I have a son who will definitely test the sturdiness of the speakers on the stands), I figured I may as well get towers. But then I read a post by KEW about the tweeters on these towers being low. So why not ask the experts to make this decision for me! Haha. Thanks for any advice guys.
I use the LS300 stands with my 836 and 820.2 (same size as 826). They are $179 per pair.

W

wern0105

Audiophyte
I use the LS300 stands with my 836 and 820.2 (same size as 826). They are $179 per pair.
Funny, snakeeyes, I reached out to you in a different thread. Do the 836 speakers screw into those stands? I need to have a nice sturdy setup cuz my little guy is ROUGH with stuff. One of the reasons I decided to go with these speakers over a few others I liked was the screen over the tweeters!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes I just answered the other thread. :)

Here it is:
Yes 2 screws to attach and sturdy. I use carpet spikes on base.

You could add sand to cylinder too if you wanted to.

The more expensive stands have 2 cylinders so that’s why they cost more.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What subs do you have now? And what are the room dimensions?

W

wern0105

Audiophyte
What subs do you have now? And what are the room dimensions?

Dimensions are about 14 by about 17. About 4/5 of one of the side walls opens to a a larger room. Not much in the way of acoustic treatment--A relatively unsoft rug on Lux vunyl flooring (it's the basement) and a massive couch. For sub's I am thinking a Rythmik FVH15 or FV15HP. I'll start with one to see if I think a second is needed. As for the rears (going to be a 5.1 or 5.2 setup), I was planning on either the vento 826 or 836. But not sure how to get those 2'-3' above ear level, so wondering if I downgrade to speakers that can be wall mounted. I just need to make some d*mn decisions!!!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Dimensions are about 14 by about 17. About 4/5 of one of the side walls opens to a a larger room. Not much in the way of acoustic treatment--A relatively unsoft rug on Lux vunyl flooring (it's the basement) and a massive couch. For sub's I am thinking a Rythmik FVH15 or FV15HP. I'll start with one to see if I think a second is needed. As for the rears (going to be a 5.1 or 5.2 setup), I was planning on either the vento 826 or 836. But not sure how to get those 2'-3' above ear level, so wondering if I downgrade to speakers that can be wall mounted. I just need to make some d*mn decisions!!!!!
Since Room is open to others you should calculate total volume. I’ve also had good experience with HSU besides Rythmik if you are stretching your budget.

I have on wall 516.2 Chrono SL (516.2 has same tweeter as Vento) for surrounds. They work great. They make a Vento 816.2 on wall that’s deeper and slightly larger driver as well.

C

Cibrd0wn

Audiophyte
I just went all out and bought a pair of 836.2 and topped them with the AR-800’s. Got the 886.2 for the center and SL-516’s for the rear. I hope to swap out with 816’s when they come back in stock. Now I need a new sub. my poor little Polk is not going to cut it.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Are the vento bookshelves threaded in bottom? Was thinking about wall mounting a pair in theater room. My 866.2 has threads on bottom to mount to stand and it’s a great option. Also if it does have threads what’s the size of them. Thanks

C

Cibrd0wn

Audiophyte
Are the vento bookshelves threaded in bottom? Was thinking about wall mounting a pair in theater room. My 866.2 has threads on bottom to mount to stand and it’s a great option. Also if it does have threads what’s the size of them. Thanks
My 836.2’s have mounts like the 866.2. I think your biggest issue will be getting the speakers far enough away from the wall.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
My 836.2’s have mounts like the 866.2. I think your biggest issue will be getting the speakers far enough away from the wall.
any way you could post a picture? I’d like to see what I’d have to build or buy for a wall mount. If you can’t take pic it’s ok too. Is it one thread or two? I’m not too worried about being close to the wall as I’ll set higher crossover or plug the ports. I’m trying to find a speaker for surrounds that has higher spl than the on wall vento or Atmos vento. Thanks

C

Cibrd0wn

Audiophyte
any way you could post a picture? I’d like to see what I’d have to build or buy for a wall mount. If you can’t take pic it’s ok too. Is it one thread or two? I’m not too worried about being close to the wall as I’ll set higher crossover or plug the ports. I’m trying to find a speaker for surrounds that has higher spl than the on wall vento or Atmos vento. Thanks
They have two thread ports. The stands work for the 866.2 as well as the bookshelves so the mounting points should be the same distance apart. I have them on LS-660 stands. I’ll try and get measurements tomorrow.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The screws are 4.5 inches apart on the 836 and 820.2 models that I own.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
anyone know of any wall mounts that would work with those threads?
Never used wall mounts that large but probably something exists. If you posted in a separate thread you would get some suggestions from people.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis