Great bike rides today

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd
Should get my bike back from the shop tomorrow.

I went back with the WTB Ranger 3.0" (tough version) on the rear, partly at the rec of the shop guy and partly due to cost (of course the LBS prices are a bit more than online parts pricing). However, I did purchase a Maxxis Ikon 2.8" online as a spare, so I will try that out eventually (it also came with a free Maxxis draw-string backpack, score!).

I'm moving from a 160mm rotor to 180mm on the rear, and new brake pads.

And, completely rebuilding my rear wheel with stronger spokes. I broke a couple of spokes, and this is the 2nd time I've done that.

The big difference this time is that the owner handed me off to a guy that has more experience with the larger tires, but he is also a much larger guy like I am. So, he understands the unique challenges and stresses that a big heavy rider puts on an XXL bike. He took a good look at my broken spokes and made that rebuild suggestion, even before I told him this is my 2nd trip with broken spokes. But, that is also ~800 miles on this bike.
Big and meaty is a good thing for a big guy. I got the weird backpack thing with my Maxxis tire, too, and all I could think of was I'd rather have a better price :).

I've mostly been using 180/185 fronts and 160/165 rears (depending on bike/brakeset) for quite a while, altho the Hightower came with 180 front and rear....almost shrunk the rear but I'm getting used to having more brake on the rear I think so think I'll leave it alone. Long ago I tried dual 200s but that was way overkill for me. You use metallic or organic pads? I've used metallic mostly since going disc, they seem to work better overall in all conditions.

I'm getting my old Heckler (or I guess Beckler since I converted it to 650B/27.5") ready as a spare bike and just yesterday ordered spokes to rebuild its rear wheel. I had originally used triple butted Sapim Lasers, but had several break due to a branch in the spokes, and replaced a couple years ago with what was available in a shop on a road trip (not even black like the rest of them, and were not butted at all :) ). The triple butted Lasers don't seem to be available (at least from the shop's supplier) so am just getting double butted this time. I almost left the wheel as is but had boo-booed in servicing the hub (just moving too fast) and got the outer race stuck in the hubshell and couldn't get a punch to bite on it so decided to deconstruct it to make it easier to ship the hubshell to King to let them get the race out :). Been a while since I built a wheel....that one lasted 10 years, tho, even with the makeshift repair.

Beefy wheels and tire sidewalls can be a good thing, especially for big guys (IIRC one reason Santa Cruz did the 120tpi up front but the stiffer 60tpi in rear on the Rekons, to provide a bit more stability for the rear).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Big and meaty is a good thing for a big guy. I got the weird backpack thing with my Maxxis tire, too, and all I could think of was I'd rather have a better price :).

I've mostly been using 180/185 fronts and 160/165 rears (depending on bike/brakeset) for quite a while, altho the Hightower came with 180 front and rear....almost shrunk the rear but I'm getting used to having more brake on the rear I think so think I'll leave it alone. Long ago I tried dual 200s but that was way overkill for me. You use metallic or organic pads? I've used metallic mostly since going disc, they seem to work better overall in all conditions.

I'm getting my old Heckler (or I guess Beckler since I converted it to 650B/27.5") ready as a spare bike and just yesterday ordered spokes to rebuild its rear wheel. I had originally used triple butted Sapim Lasers, but had several break due to a branch in the spokes, and replaced a couple years ago with what was available in a shop on a road trip (not even black like the rest of them, and were not butted at all :) ). The triple butted Lasers don't seem to be available (at least from the shop's supplier) so am just getting double butted this time. I almost left the wheel as is but had boo-booed in servicing the hub (just moving too fast) and got the outer race stuck in the hubshell and couldn't get a punch to bite on it so decided to deconstruct it to make it easier to ship the hubshell to King to let them get the race out :). Been a while since I built a wheel....that one lasted 10 years, tho, even with the makeshift repair.

Beefy wheels and tire sidewalls can be a good thing, especially for big guys (IIRC one reason Santa Cruz did the 120tpi up front but the stiffer 60tpi in rear on the Rekons, to provide a bit more stability for the rear).
I think my Spesh is running organic and my Cannondale is metallic.

But, the guy at the shop seemed to think my Cannondale had organics too. I didn't know enough to argue about it, and so far these are all stock pads, so I'm not certain. The new pads will be organic though.

I'm still running the stock Tektro Auriga brakes. They are OK, but they don't compare to the Shimanos on my other bike. Actually, the front is great, but the rear just doesn't feel like it has the bite like the Shimanos. I realize that the front are the critical brakes, but I just don't like the feel on the rear, so I don't have the braking confidence that I would like. I'm hoping larger rotor and new pads will give me what I want. If not, then I may move up to SLX brakes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to beat Shimano hydraulics. I have SRAM Guide RSCs on the Hightower, they're okay but honestly my old Avid mechanicals are just as good. Never used Tektros but serviced a couple of their mechanicals and wasn't impressed.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hard to beat Shimano hydraulics. I have SRAM Guide RSCs on the Hightower, they're okay but honestly my old Avid mechanicals are just as good. Never used Tektros but serviced a couple of their mechanicals and wasn't impressed.
Most of what I see on the forums, people say "use the Aurigas till you wear them out, then upgrade".

They are better than rim brakes, no doubt, but Shimano set the bar really high.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably use them until they piss me off sufficiently to change :)

ps ....waiting until the brakes break....that hopefully comes when you're not on the bike?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

ps ....waiting until the brakes break....that hopefully comes when you're not on the bike?
Have you ever seen hyrdo brakes catastrophically fail?

I would think you would have some warning signs before imminent failure on hydros. Regardless, if I ever feel UNSAFE on them, then they are gone!

But, in reality, most likely this:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you ever seen hyrdo brakes catastrophically fail?

I would think you would have some warning signs before imminent failure on hydros. Regardless, if I ever feel UNSAFE on them, then they are gone!

But, in reality, most likely this:
Have seen guys standing on mountains with severed brake lines before, and plenty let them go so far between bleeds as to be nearly useless sometimes. Without the need to adjust pads some let them go to the point the pad and backing are indistinguishable. Some brakes are poorly designed or bled and if you hang the bike upside down or on its side, issues can arise...I've had this issue where I started rolling downhill after a lunch break and find one lever is coming to the bar with no effect (damned Elixirs).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
New to me ride yesterday. Cheated a little with a shuttle up to Horsepasture Meadow to catch Olallie over to O'Leary to Castle Rock to King's Castle....just gorgeous alpine riding, wildflower meadows, awesome switchbacks, flow, tough climbing....just a little singletrack heaven overall. My buddy Chad in the pic below made a video here.
20180619_102406[1].jpg
20180619_102357[1].jpg
20180619_102350[1].jpg
20180619_113422[1].jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@lovinthehd
Nice!

We are in the HOT/HUMID summer down here. It hasn't been too bad for the last week, just due to lots of clouds and a little rain.

But, generally we are down to early morning riding only, otherwise it's just too hot to enjoy yourself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd
Nice!

We are in the HOT/HUMID summer down here. It hasn't been too bad for the last week, just due to lots of clouds and a little rain.

But, generally we are down to early morning riding only, otherwise it's just too hot to enjoy yourself.
Our hot summer is still enroute, still enjoying 70s/80s when the sun's out, but it won't be long before the early morning strategy will be best. Had some early thunderstorms yesterday...holding my breath the lightning hasn't started fire season.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Our hot summer is still enroute, still enjoying 70s/80s when the sun's out, but it won't be long before the early morning strategy will be best. Had some early thunderstorms yesterday...holding my breath the lightning hasn't started fire season.
Yup, the tradeoff is that I get to ride most of the winter too. Worst case, just some long sleeves and wind pants and I'm good, likely even rolling up the sleeves before the end of the ride.

We had an excellent spring (from about late January thru May) this year.

Local trails were getting really dry and dusty, so recent moderate rains actually improved the local conditions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh we can ride much of the winter at lower elevations, too. It's the mountains/upper trailheads that are difficult in winter. Too hot/humid summers are just not ever going to work for me, would never live in such a place again....life's too short for brutal summers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh we can ride much of the winter at lower elevations, too. It's the mountains/upper trailheads that are difficult in winter. Too hot/humid summers are just not ever going to work for me, would never live in such a place again....life's too short for brutal summers.
You just learn to work on stuff inside the house, or just maybe 15-20 minutes outside then back to the A/C.
I do have other hobbies that are conducive to hot summers, like audio/video, gaming, building electronics, etc. Then, get out early when you can.

It is a good excuse to stay inside and do these other activities and not "feel like a bum". :p

EDIT: I do admit, there are days where I take 2 showers. Get an early bike ride, get a shower and rest, then work around the house and need another shower after a few hours of that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You just learn to work on stuff inside the house, or just maybe 15-20 minutes outside then back to the A/C.
I do have other hobbies that are conducive to hot summers, like audio/video, gaming, building electronics, etc. Then, get out early when you can.

It is a good excuse to stay inside and do these other activities and not "feel like a bum". :p

EDIT: I do admit, there are days where I take 2 showers. Get an early bike ride, get a shower and rest, then work around the house and need another shower after a few hours of that.
Yeah I do that stuff in the winter when its too wet/cold out :) I did buy a portable AC unit (most houses here do not have such) to alleviate the hottest days inside since I'm a heat wuss. Probably need to pull that out in a month or so.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It has just been stupid hot and humid here. Normally I ride through it but I haven't felt like doing that this year. Been getting a lot of gym time in and then just hitting Zwift on my trainer indoors.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yesterday went to a new-to-me trail system, Alsea Falls over near Corvallis. It was one of the few days they allow shuttles to the top, as a fundraiser for the trail building/maintenance efforts and a friend suggested it would be a great way to try it. One of the most fun trails I've ridden, so I did it five times :) Although my computer crapped out at the beginning, think it's about five miles down and about 2000' feet of descending each "lap" (about double that if you ride up). Took a little getting used to but I couldn't stop once I did, LOL. Pretty much a fun flow trail with lots of bumps and berms and flowy singletrack top to bottom. Only stopped while waiting to load a shuttle as far as pics go, was too much fun to stop on the trail much....
Alsea.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis