GR Research Hot topic?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
He does usually show before and after measurements. How audible they are I can't say. He's been a well known speaker designer for a number of companies and well regarded from what I have heard.
After telling Dennis Murphy he does not know what he is talking about, he has lost total credibility with me. I know for certain that Dennis does know what he is talking about. When I see this chap modifying ATC crossovers then my BS alarms go on full alert.

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
I know he has made drivers and kits but haven't heard the designing for other companies particularly....what speakers are his design?
He listed companies in his vids and such, but I don't know enough about him beyond that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked on his website and didn't see any reference to such....just curious what they might be.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
He designed the xls and xls encore for Mark "Shifty" Schift, of AV123 and charity fraud fame. Crank magnetism, perhaps?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He designed the xls and xls encore for Mark "Shifty" Schift, of AV123 and charity fraud fame. Crank magnetism, perhaps?
LOL, thanks. So that was his start or was he doing drivers only at that point? Any idea?

ps that's possibly why its not referred to on his website perhaps

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really don't have any idea what he was up to before. And, bingo.

B

bboro30

Enthusiast
After telling Dennis Murphy he does not know what he is talking about, he has lost total credibility with me. I know for certain that Dennis does know what he is talking about. When I see this chap modifying ATC crossovers then my BS alarms go on full alert.
Here is a white paper by a very educated speaker builder that debunks the expensive caps matter bs. I’m sure you are set in your ways and this won’t change your mind. I just want you to know your strong OPINION is wrong. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M279L1VVoJsFG9qw3k0qiDhagTq_DxOY/view?usp=sharing

B

bboro30

Enthusiast
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. If component quality and material didn't matter there would be no difference between any audio components. So you really think that there is no difference is sound quality between a $100 receiver and a $5000 receiver? They both do the same thing just with different transformers, capacitors and resisters. You probably believe MTX speakers are sonically the same as B&W's. You don't have to believe a word I say but I bet your system doesn't sound as good as mine or Danny's. Have a nice day. Lol
Talk about no clue! How do you dispute this white paper by a man far smarter and more educated than you?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
His new thing is he pissed off all the youtube reviewers and said he can't let them review his speakers because they don't know how to set them up properly. The only way he would invite a challenge is if you go to his place in Texas because you have to hear it in his room, which to me translates as, wtf good are a pair of speakers that aren't adaptable to multiple conditions? Anyway, they all fired back at him and there is/was a youtube drama over it all.

His measurements? How can anyone trust those he shows actually belongs to what he claims. When someone will lie to you about components and tube connectors, or fudge the definitions of what really audibly counts, they can't be trusted at anything. If he tried hoodwinking people like this where I grew up, he would get beat up, or at least a super wedgie. This is how you can tell when someone grew up around easy people that never challenged him, just by the bald-faced bs he spews. I have no use for the guy or his face. I hate being lied to, and I hate predators.

The problem is, he didn't end up being a real player like much of his would-be competition turned out to be, so he has to prey on the gullible just to keep being paid what he must feel is his rightful entitlement.

Only time I have spec'd better parts was from a longevity standpoint because I build for me, and I keep things forever. Basically I look at the expected lifespan of the components, weighed against how long I listen every year on average. Even then, it's only typically the next step up, or mid tier, which is pretty much how I buy everything I own, with regard to actual value.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Where did TLS indicate that such matter particularly? Or Dennis'? Or am I misunderstanding your post?
Dennis took a pot shot at him about upgrading crossover parts. I backed up Dennis. Then I noted he offered an upgrade to ATC crossovers. So I gave him this reply.

"It is you talking at of the wrong end of your anatomy. I suspect that you are connected with that GR research outfit. When I see you offer a crossover kit to improve ATC speakers, I know you are a fraud. I know the owner Billy Woodman and have visited his factory in Stroud Gloucestershire. I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with ATC's crossover components. Somehow I think it likely there will be if they muck around with one of your kits.

I would bet big money, that my system is significantly superior to yours or Danny's. My system is grounded in science and robust sound engineering principles and not voodoo."

Then I posted about how upgrading crossover components can be a downgrade. This alludes to the fact that you can use the resistance of an inductor to your advantage. An upgrade would be a downgrade. I do this in my designs when indicated and it is common practice.

Below is the post.

"
How do you know? It is hit and miss at best. The crossover models include, for instance, the resistance of the inductor you select. It certainly happens that choosing a cheaper inductor with smaller wire and higher resistance, is a smarter choice than specking a more expensive inductor. It is smarter, because you buy a cheaper inductor and save the expense of a series resistor. This also has the advantage of reducing the percentage tolerance, (error if you like), to one component and not two.
I just suspect this eludes the folks at GR, and they mindlessly believe changing an inductor to one with 'designer' aesthetics and fatter wire, is automatically better. That reasoning is false. So they need to show by circuit models and measurements of the final result that it really is an upgrade. I suspect it is often a downgrade."

As far as I'm concerned Dennis and I should regard his insults as medals of honor.

There is no way round it, the guy is a "Twot" and needs to be swatted every time he shows his head above the parapets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis took a pot shot at him about upgrading crossover parts. I backed up Dennis. Then I noted he offered an upgrade to ATC crossovers. So I gave him this reply.

"It is you talking at of the wrong end of your anatomy. I suspect that you are connected with that GR research outfit. When I see you offer a crossover kit to improve ATC speakers, I know you are a fraud. I know the owner Billy Woodman and have visited his factory in Stroud Gloucestershire. I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with ATC's crossover components. Somehow I think it likely there will be if they muck around with one of your kits.

I would bet big money, that my system is significantly superior to yours or Danny's. My system is grounded in science and robust sound engineering principles and not voodoo."

Then I posted about how upgrading crossover components can be a downgrade. This alludes to the fact that you can use the resistance of an inductor to your advantage. An upgrade would be a downgrade. I do this in my designs when indicated and it is common practice.

Below is the post.

"
How do you know? It is hit and miss at best. The crossover models include, for instance, the resistance of the inductor you select. It certainly happens that choosing a cheaper inductor with smaller wire and higher resistance, is a smarter choice than specking a more expensive inductor. It is smarter, because you buy a cheaper inductor and save the expense of a series resistor. This also has the advantage of reducing the percentage tolerance, (error if you like), to one component and not two.
I just suspect this eludes the folks at GR, and they mindlessly believe changing an inductor to one with 'designer' aesthetics and fatter wire, is automatically better. That reasoning is false. So they need to show by circuit models and measurements of the final result that it really is an upgrade. I suspect it is often a downgrade."

As far as I'm concerned Dennis and I should regard his insults as medals of honor.

There is no way round it, the guy is a "Twot" and needs to be swatted every time he shows his head above the parapets.
LOL didn't think I misunderstood you. Just couldn't wait for a further response when I posted. It just seemed this poster actually agreed with the general assessment, which I found puzzling but who knows. GR sucks balls as far as I'm concerned.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
First of all, thank you @bboro30 for that link about capacitors. I'm glad to see you post here at AH. It's a bit more ammunition to save for future use in silly capacitor debates. I believe the moniker, bboro30, might be someone I've read for years on other audio forums. He, like myself, is a long term Dennis Murphy fanboy. If I'm right, he may have bristled at the suggestion that this DR-guy is anything other than an embarrassment to reputable speaker makers.

Now, on to my main point. I can't believe this thread isn't dead yet.

It ought to be, as it attracts various fools, trolls, or DR-appointed henchmen. That guy (I won't name him because he is known to respond to any internet forum mention of his name) is a known bottom dweller in the audio speaker world. He actually does know how to design decent speakers, and some of his simpler 2-way kits are decent. But he also sells kits & products that are clearly not decent. On top of that, he promotes overpriced 'crossover upgrades' that are indecent in two ways. 1) They are overpriced snake oil, failing to deliver improved performance, and 2) they are an insult to speaker designers who make & sell the products for which he offers the so-called improved crossovers. Many in this business consider him an unethical punk. He's not worth any further discussion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis