Got kicked out of the living room after buying my HSU VTF 15!!

O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
Long story.... any way, I'm back downstairs where the room is 10x24 8ft ceilings, but after the 10x13 listening space, the room narrows a bit and also stairs going up.

My subs barely fit in the listening space no matter where i place them...so I guess my question is should i eliminate 1? or down size? and to what?(Monolith 10/SVS PB 1000) Hate to spend money i shouldn't especially for the subs I currently have.
My set up:
Yamaha RX 700, Crown XLS 1500 amp
Polk monitor 70s , CS10 - center
Polk monitor 40s
Crowne XLS 1500 amp
Subwoofer - PSA XV30FSE , HSU VTF 15H

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Long story.... any way, I'm back downstairs where the room is 10x24 8ft ceilings, but after the 10x13 listening space, the room narrows a bit and also stairs going up.

My subs barely fit in the listening space no matter where i place them...so I guess my question is should i eliminate 1? or down size? and to what?(Monolith 10/SVS PB 1000) Hate to spend money i shouldn't especially for the subs I currently have.
My set up:
Yamaha RX 700, Crown XLS 1500 amp
Polk monitor 70s , CS10 - center
Polk monitor 40s
Crowne XLS 1500 amp
Subwoofer - PSA XV30FSE , HSU VTF 15H
I know the feeling. The VTF15h got me kicked out of a 300-foot open field as a testing ground. They should nickname it 'The evictor.'

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know the feeling. The VTF15h got me kicked out of a 300-foot open field as a testing ground. They should nickname it 'The evictor.'
Lol. A name like that sounds like something from JTR.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, this is possibly the best thread title in the history of AH!

:) :) :)

O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
Sooo what should I do ?? eliminate 1 or downsizing?
thx!

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Sooo what should I do ?? eliminate 1 or downsizing?
thx!
Neither of those options sound great. But only you can decide. Personally, I would look for something else in the room you can eliminate first.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would down-size. It's better to have multiple smaller subs rather than one large sub, provided that the fundamental performance of the small subs are good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Being single I've never had to make such a decision, the lesser sub just gets moved to another room. I'd probably make room somehow, or just keep the better sub and make that work for my seat.....

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just make some room for both subs. If you gave up the upstairs and now have the system downstairs. If she truly loves you, she will get over it. Also you can convince her by telling her how much your going to have to spend by buying two smaller subs that you would be happy with.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would down-size. It's better to have multiple smaller subs rather than one large sub, provided that the fundamental performance of the small subs are good.
How many VTF2s can he get for two VTF15s? :p

Edit: just saw it's not two VTF15s. Shame. *shakes head disapprovingly ;)

Last edited:
Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The psa xv30fse is an awesome sub. It’s probably what really got her pissed off. The hsu vtf15 is nice too but that psa is much louder. I would never trade in that psa for two little subs like pb1000 or even pb2000. Probably would take 6 pb1000 to match the output of that psa. In a little room like that one sub is all you need and the hsu won’t be missed at all. Probably will actually sound better with only the psa. Multiple subs are really only important if you’re trying to make every seat sound great or you want more output. In a 10x13 room one sub like that psa in right spot will give you well over 120db from 15-100 hz in room. Well maybe 115db from 15-20hz.

My 15 year old son now uses my old psa xv30. The one that’s like 3’ deep from when psa first opened. He uses it as a bench for when friends come over. His setup is simply with onkyo rz820, energy Rc70, rc lcr and rc10. 5.1 setup. All I’m a room that’s about 12x14. We’ve seen 125-128 dB playing movies. Now that’s more in mid bass but we’ve seen 115db playing 20hz test tones. Crazy what little sealed room can do. My theater room can’t even produce that max spl. Even when I had dual Rythmik fv18pc or jtr2400. Now I’m just running a pair of Psa v1512 and they sound good too.

Good luck to you but I’d keep psa and sell hsu. Maybe get something else like new speakers. Merry Christmas!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Just make some room for both subs. If you gave up the upstairs and now have the system downstairs. If she truly loves you, she will get over it. Also you can convince her by telling her how much your going to have to spend by buying two smaller subs that you would be happy with.
better yet, let her go buy something she wants and tell her in exchange the big subs stay. Works for me as my wife loves to buy things . Lord knows

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Lol. A name like that sounds like something from JTR.
BIC does have an Eviction Series \m/

On topic, I'd suggest trying with 1 (both subs individually at separate times) and seeing if that yields satisfactory results. If not and the issue is coverage then yes, moving to duals would be ideal. If not and the issue is performance then duals may still be a better option but finding a good place and trying the subs there first would be my course of action.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
All subs have a "volume" knob. You could try turning that knob counter clockwise....
I know my bedroom sub is turned down very low , damn thing rattles my clutter ...
my dad says I blew a window out once but I said winter did that !!!!
I’ll start using it again once I start watching movies again... never really use my 15” anymore ha ha
Wish I could bring it downstairs but my mom won’t allow it ....

Driver itself when I got it haha ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis